BMW R1200R Forum banner

Where did you go today on your Roadster?

296K views 3K replies 221 participants last post by  The Dogfather 
Then I really visited my customers and rode back home after through Grantville, Wonthaggi to fill up, then Kongwak, Korrumbarra, Poowong and Lang Lang back onto the Highway.
(Probably funny names to the people from outside Australia)
No funnier than some Canadian places - Moosejaw Saskatchewan, Dildo Newfoundland, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump in Alberta, and in Ontario, Swastika, Moonbeam, Pickle Crow (where I spent some of my childhood summers, now a ghost town), and my personal favourite which is just down the road from me, Punkeydoodles Corners.

Try Wanko or Bing Bong. My fave place-name is Turn Back Jimmy Creek, in NSW, just 13km N of Jerilderie.
To amuse myself as I ride along I mentally collect these old-time creek names - this is the best one yet. Gotta be a story there, I'll bet!:)
Somewhat akin to Have-A-Smoke Portage, along one of the old Canadian fur-trader canoe routes :wink2:

Looks like your creek is aptly named - it seems to dry up a few hundred meters in from the junction with Yanco Creek.

https://goo.gl/maps/DgzhQpr8LJP2

Thanks for this - amazing pix! I have told myself often that I must write to the local Council asking the origins of that name - there's bound to be local Historical or Heritage Society in Jerilderie that has an interest in such things, and has recorded them.

Such 'creeks' abound in Oz, but in most cases other than in the wet seasons (summer) they are usually dry with beds of sand or gravel - tho' when it is wet they can run fiercely for some days or even weeks.

That Hwy #39 shown on your map (the Newell Hwy) is the major inland traffic route from Melbourne to Brisbane, over about 1800km. It is possibly one of the most boring roads in the country, and in many parts badly cut-up due to the heavy trucks using it night and day - but at least it can get you there pretty quickly, to the N or the S.
Try Google Street View on that map, if you haven't already. You'll be able to see a nice, albeit desolate, panoramic view of where the creek crosses A39.

https://goo.gl/maps/11UFouMu53U2

A bit reminiscent of the Canadian prairies, perhaps a bit drier. They're so flat that if you squint off into the distance, you can see the back of your head.

Was a space driver going for a spin, 1000kms return, on the Roadster to see a long life favourite music band the B52's in Christchurch, such a fun band.
The same B52s of Rock Lobster fame? That song hit #1 on the local radio charts here when my older daughter was about 4. She insisted on hearing it over and over, dancing manically around the house. She's now 40+ :surprise:

Just for the memories, I'm playing Private Idaho as I type ... thanks for the flashback :clap:

OK, I give up! My third attempt at posting some pics and commentary from my recent road trip failed yet again. This site has become absolutely impossible to use, most likely due to excessive ad delivery. As I sit here typing this, I can see my browser doing an endless stream of connections to ad sites. This does not occur on other forums, etc that I frequent. (I'm a computer network designer, so please don't advise me on computers, browsers, etc. It's this site, not me).

Suffice to say that I rode 10,000 km part way across Canada and back, to visit my granddaughter for a week. Not really 'today' per se, but where I went on my Roadster nonetheless.

OK, one more try ... I recently got home from a 22-day 10,000 km road trip part way (maybe two-thirds?) across Canada and back to visit a granddaughter in Vancouver. 'Twas grand. I had every weather imaginable, from 36C in the mountains of BC, to 6C and fog on the north shore of Lake Superior, to rain, thunderstorms, a bit of snow in the mountains, insects galore, etc, etc. Here's a couple of pics, all taken with my phone since I didn't bring a camera for some odd reason, as I usually do. Oh well ... perhaps those that have never visited will get a small taste of where I live.

World's biggest air-conditionerhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Superior
Some interestingly evil looking clouds
Crowsnest Pass, Frank Slidehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Slide
Kootenay Lake in BC
The reason for my visit
Rogers Pass (at 36C)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Pass_(British_Columbia)
Lake Louisehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Louise_(Alberta)
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Flatistan, aka the Prairies
NW Ontario coffee stop to add more layers, 6C and pouring rain
Canada Day in Sault Ste Mariehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/150th_anniversary_of_Canada

Attachments

Well, whaddya know, it worked! Either the admins have fixed the problem (THANKS!) or my ad blocker is helping, or both.

Now to plan to go the opposite direction and ride across the other third to visit family on the east coast. Another 4,000-5,000 km, depending on whether I decide to visit The Rock, aka Newfoundland.

Another dirt road run today, ... The ABS is a bit of a pain though as you can't slide the rear with the brakes
I love running gravel roads, on the big beemer as much or more than on my (now-departed) 250 Yam. I just turn off ABS and traction control, and, as they say around here, give 'er.

It's so much fun I bought a BMW Scrambler with spokes and knobbies last month, just to cut down on the wear and tear I was inflicting on the R1200R, which is all I have in the garage for touring these days :D

My wife just rolls her eyes and shrugs her shoulders and says, "As long as I can get my kayak out of the garage without having to move all your @!!^@$% heavy machinery around ..."

I was a bit surprised that there wasn't an ABS switch on the R, but I suppose BMW weren't expecting owners to use them as dirt bikes. At some point I'll wire one in if it becomes too much of a nuisance, but running sports tyres doesn't help much either. I love the gravel roads as you can guarantee a day of isolation from the rest of the world out there. A 250-400cc dirt bike is a wonderful thing on those roads but I tend to ride them too hard for my own good at my age and the R keeps me a bit more sedate. We are in for another week of rain so the dirt is off for a while but I received my new LED spotlights in the mail yesterday and will wire them in today. I ride at night a lot too as that is also a peaceful thing to do on a bike. A few more pics from various runs last week, though the bike is only in one of them.
Nice pics! I run Roadtec 01's on my R1200R-LC; they're not knobbies by any stretch of the imagination, but they're suprisingly not horrible on gravel roads. I find I just have to stay on the power if it gets a bit deep, and go easy on the corners.

I'm not sure which R you're referring to, but I can turn off ABS and traction control on both my R1200R-LC and my R nineT Scrambler. It's easier on the Scrambler only because it has fewer handlebar switches to remember which does what and how long to press it :rolleyes: