BMW R1200R Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2009 Posts

·
2,929 Posts
Fab report @daaef. I actually planned to ride the Oxley & thunderbolts way this weekend, but with all the rain & thunderstorms, I got cold feet or maybe not. Good on you and I will probably head up that way mid-week. Those clouds look quite menacing - enjoy and stay safe. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
Looks like everything was against you, @daaef - but you prevailed. I’ll be up that way in three weeks.

·
2,929 Posts
Headed up north via the Putty Road to Gresford with a linch stop at Dungog then up Thunderbolts Way to the Oxley to Walcha with an overnight stop at Tamworth.
I managed to knock out just over 700 clicks for the day with enough time to make my hotel and dinner booking.

Great run up the Putty with very lite traffic and pretty much had the twisties to myself. Before climbing up from lower Colo to Upper Colo stopped off at the cafe for a quick tea small snack. The tea and snack weren’t much to rave about but I can’t complain about the view from my window.

A few pix long the Putty Road:

I stopped for lunch at Dungog Stella Bistro - I’ve heard via the grapevine that this little cafe knocks out a mean Aussie Sandwich. With a touch of excitement, I ordered a regulation Aussie Salad sandwich and for a fleeting moment, I had mentally rated this specimen a 9/10. However, I quickly came crashing down to earth as I realised the chef special sandwich was non-compliant. Instead of canned beetroot - kitchen cooked beetroot.

After lunch headed off to Gloucester and Thunderbolts Way-Walcha and Tamworth.

Got into Tamworth with enough tme for a quick shower and a beeline to the local indian eatery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
6,105 Posts
I think you rolled out a couple stock photos there @mikeS - I’m sure I’ve seen them before...

·
2,929 Posts
No stock photos and no fake news, PZ. Happy to post date-stamped photos. That said, I've travelled this route many times and could've taken the same locations or point of interest previously.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2,929 Posts
I think you rolled out a couple stock photos there @mikeS - I’m sure I’ve seen them before...
Content integrity must be maintained and as with must things the devil is in the detail..
Yesterday I posted this image outside Walcha Cafe

My last trip I posted this image at the same location and note the bike has panniers

I posted yesterday this image in front of the Golden Guitar

A previous trip to Tamworth I posted this image - note different seat bag and bike orientation.

·
6,105 Posts
Reactions: mikeS

·
2,929 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
2,929 Posts
The return leg of my weekend trip covering a total of 1550km over the two days. I got a reasonably early start o Sunday morning. For those Aussies planning to visit Tamworth and looking for a reasonably priced hotel with secure parking, I highly recommend the CB Boutique hotel.

Instead of heading down the New England H’way to the upper Hunter, I decided to double back to Bendemeer-Walcha via the Oxley H’way to Wauchope and the Pacific H’way to Sydney.

Peeling off the New England, I was surprised by the drop in temperature from 19.5 to 5c. Lucky enough for me, I missed the brief morning shower, but the road was wet and quite greasy in sections. Once past Walcha road, the weather improved. I usually plan my trips to the Oxley midweek rather than weekends due to the amount over confident moto rat-bags who fail to pay the respect the twisty 43km - 300 corner section demands.
RIDE TO LIVE.

I had planned to stop and Gingers for breakfast, but to my surprise, it was closed.

I can’t remember exactly when I noticed the crash icon on the bikes Navigator but a few clicks past Gingers the road was closed due to motorcycle crash.

From what could workout a motorcyclist lost the front on a very tight right-hand bend.

I was held up for an hour and needed to cut sort my route to make it home in time for dinner—all in all, great little getaway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gee that crash looked serious with helli attending. Hope all ok

Apparently Gingers closed due to COVID breaches and now undergoing some renos.

·
2,929 Posts
The copper told me the rider was in a terrible way, and when I passed the actual crash site and from what I could make out the bike flipped a few times.

·
6,105 Posts
The copper told me the rider was in a terrible way, and when I passed the actual crash site and from what I could make out the bike flipped a few times.
No wonder coppers get exasperated with motorcyclists speeding and the like when these sorts of things happen.

😬

·
2,929 Posts
Riders that past in the other direction while enjoying spirited pace but in my view well in control of their machine. There were a few knuckleheads, but the majority of riders were doing the right thing.

·
6,105 Posts
The majority do, @mikeS, but it's those whose ambition outweighs their talent who are the issue, and we get lumped in with them.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just a little running around delivering dinners via GrubHub, and a trip to the grocery store afterwards..

I ran out of room in the boxes...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Today I took advantage of some perfect weather and the pre-double demerits / Xmas traffic to get out of Sydney.

The much needed rain had cleared up and it was sunny 20-25C. I took the motorway north out of Sydney and onto the Putty road which was all but devoid of cars. This was the case most of the day outside of townships.

I took the Golden Hwy and the Bylong Valley Rd through to Rylstone for an early lunch. Too early for both pubs so it was a relatively healthy cafe fare (no pics).

Rather than start the loop home I doubled back via Lue and Mudgee to Hill End which I haven’t done on a bike for a few years.

Taking the Bells Line Of Rd, I refuelled myself at The Hive Berambing and finally back on the motorway home!

·
6,105 Posts
Nice trip, @daaef, and very respectable average speed!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Today not many miles but - I took the Total Control IRC (Intermediate Rider Course). It's a good refresher of quite a few basic skills, with emphasis on "right practice" for cornering, body position, throttle control, and braking. Pretty sure I could make a u-turn on just about any strip of "legal road" now. First step in getting into the Advanced Rider Courses offered.

The training is developed by and heavily based on Lee Parks' book Total Control.

·
2,929 Posts
Picture perfect riding conditions this morning with the weather forecast as good as it gets for a day ride. I had a very busy Saturday and a catch up some overdue DYI chores, so not much thought went into planning a route for today. However, I’ve meant to check out a little café in Dunedoo for some time, so I thought today would be as good as any. First up a quick coffee at my local to get myself set for the day and them off from my home base in the inner west and straight up the M4-Katoomba-Lithgow and Castlereagh H’Way to Mudgee, Gulgong and finally Dunedoo (270 klms).

I made a reasonably good time and arrived at Dunedoo - the White Rose Cafe. This little place can best be described as old-school with all of its historical characters retained but still kept clean and tidy. A very relaxed atmosphere and with very attentive ladies behind the counter. I must admit I took ages to decide what to have for lunch, but I thought I would go for a safe option a veggie wrap and a pot of tea. While the wrap had a touch more pesto dressing for my taste, all the flavours were must say delicious.

After lunch, I wondered outside and spotted a nicely restored Kawaka 900Z1A. Many moons ago I had a brown 900Z1B.

I waited a little longer than I planned so going home the upper hunter and Putty would get me back too late, so I double bathe way I came as it was the shortest route.

As I passed the Gulgong, I thought I would take a slight detour and take a few happy snaps.

Once at Lithgow, I decided to head into town from a quick Coffee. I think it must have been around 5:00 PM, so most of the cafes were closed (my go-to the Tin Shed closes at 3:00 PM). Vanilla Cafe was the only one open in town. It's clean, tidy, and coffee is a reasonable and far better choice than Maccas.

I enjoyed the day’s ride LC and I did what we do best - Roadstering. All up door-to-door, I clocked up 680 klms for the day. A few more pix I took during the day.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
I knew I was going for a ride as it was clear and over 40. While I layered up I decided to do the Quabbin. So 32N to Palmer then 181 to the villages of Three Rivers (where I grew up) and Thorndike following recently resurfaced roads to the optimistically named Monson Turnpike Highway which leads straight to route 9 at the Goodnough Dike entrance of the Quabbin.
As a young man I spent countless hours at the Quabbin, but haven't been there much in many years. I was disappointed to find they have nearly totally ruined it. You can no longer drive anywhere near the dike or the dam, you can't drive over the stone arch bridge, and they have gaited and blocked nearly every side road. Also, even some of the hiking trails have "no trespassing" signs now.
I did get some decent pics with where I was allowed to go.
Like the observation tower.

The main lookout

The spillway in both directions

My Evel Knievel R in front of rocks

I did find I was still free to ride around the Quabbin cemetery, and while taking pics I noticed the bike's clock showed 3:02 which I couldn't believe. And I was supposed to pick my daughter up from work at 3, oops. Of course I had teased her earlier that I wasn't going to bother picking her up.

Our lady of blessed acceleration saw me reach her work in just under 10 minutes.
So at 3:12 I didn't see her, dug out my phone and glasses and texted her. To realize the text showed 2:12. Turns out my fancy pants BMW display doesn't update for daylight savings time, impressive. At least it explained where all that time went. My display did warn me that my key fob battery was below 50% charge.
Anyway, quite a pleasant ride capped off by some unplanned spirited riding. A better day than I have any right to in a New England January.

1981 - 2000 of 2009 Posts