BMW R1200R Forum banner

1981 - 1995 of 1995 Posts

·
2,750 Posts
Fab report @daaef. I actually planned to ride the Oxley & thunderbolts way this weekend, but with all the rain & thunderstorms, I got cold feet or maybe not. Good on you and I will probably head up that way mid-week. Those clouds look quite menacing - enjoy and stay safe. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,665 Posts
Looks like everything was against you, @daaef - but you prevailed. I’ll be up that way in three weeks.

·
2,750 Posts
Headed up north via the Putty Road to Gresford with a linch stop at Dungog then up Thunderbolts Way to the Oxley to Walcha with an overnight stop at Tamworth.
I managed to knock out just over 700 clicks for the day with enough time to make my hotel and dinner booking.

Great run up the Putty with very lite traffic and pretty much had the twisties to myself. Before climbing up from lower Colo to Upper Colo stopped off at the cafe for a quick tea small snack. The tea and snack weren’t much to rave about but I can’t complain about the view from my window.

A few pix long the Putty Road:

I stopped for lunch at Dungog Stella Bistro - I’ve heard via the grapevine that this little cafe knocks out a mean Aussie Sandwich. With a touch of excitement, I ordered a regulation Aussie Salad sandwich and for a fleeting moment, I had mentally rated this specimen a 9/10. However, I quickly came crashing down to earth as I realised the chef special sandwich was non-compliant. Instead of canned beetroot - kitchen cooked beetroot.

After lunch headed off to Gloucester and Thunderbolts Way-Walcha and Tamworth.

Got into Tamworth with enough tme for a quick shower and a beeline to the local indian eatery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
5,665 Posts
I think you rolled out a couple stock photos there @mikeS - I’m sure I’ve seen them before...

·
2,750 Posts
No stock photos and no fake news, PZ. Happy to post date-stamped photos. That said, I've travelled this route many times and could've taken the same locations or point of interest previously.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2,750 Posts
I think you rolled out a couple stock photos there @mikeS - I’m sure I’ve seen them before...
Content integrity must be maintained and as with must things the devil is in the detail..
Yesterday I posted this image outside Walcha Cafe

My last trip I posted this image at the same location and note the bike has panniers

I posted yesterday this image in front of the Golden Guitar

A previous trip to Tamworth I posted this image - note different seat bag and bike orientation.

·
5,665 Posts
Reactions: mikeS

·
2,750 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
2,750 Posts
The return leg of my weekend trip covering a total of 1550km over the two days. I got a reasonably early start o Sunday morning. For those Aussies planning to visit Tamworth and looking for a reasonably priced hotel with secure parking, I highly recommend the CB Boutique hotel.

Instead of heading down the New England H’way to the upper Hunter, I decided to double back to Bendemeer-Walcha via the Oxley H’way to Wauchope and the Pacific H’way to Sydney.

Peeling off the New England, I was surprised by the drop in temperature from 19.5 to 5c. Lucky enough for me, I missed the brief morning shower, but the road was wet and quite greasy in sections. Once past Walcha road, the weather improved. I usually plan my trips to the Oxley midweek rather than weekends due to the amount over confident moto rat-bags who fail to pay the respect the twisty 43km - 300 corner section demands.
RIDE TO LIVE.

I had planned to stop and Gingers for breakfast, but to my surprise, it was closed.

I can’t remember exactly when I noticed the crash icon on the bikes Navigator but a few clicks past Gingers the road was closed due to motorcycle crash.

From what could workout a motorcyclist lost the front on a very tight right-hand bend.

I was held up for an hour and needed to cut sort my route to make it home in time for dinner—all in all, great little getaway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gee that crash looked serious with helli attending. Hope all ok

Apparently Gingers closed due to COVID breaches and now undergoing some renos.

·
2,750 Posts
The copper told me the rider was in a terrible way, and when I passed the actual crash site and from what I could make out the bike flipped a few times.

·
5,665 Posts
The copper told me the rider was in a terrible way, and when I passed the actual crash site and from what I could make out the bike flipped a few times.
No wonder coppers get exasperated with motorcyclists speeding and the like when these sorts of things happen.

😬

·
2,750 Posts
Riders that past in the other direction while enjoying spirited pace but in my view well in control of their machine. There were a few knuckleheads, but the majority of riders were doing the right thing.

·
5,665 Posts
The majority do, @mikeS, but it's those whose ambition outweighs their talent who are the issue, and we get lumped in with them.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just a little running around delivering dinners via GrubHub, and a trip to the grocery store afterwards..

I ran out of room in the boxes...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1981 - 1995 of 1995 Posts