BMW R1200R Forum banner
2021 - 2040 of 2100 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I reckon the GOR is best done starting from Warrnambool as you did - I did it mid week and barely saw anyone in the busy tourist areas. I learnt the hard way a couple of years earlier doing east to west on a public holiday...

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you @daaef way too busy from other end. I took this photo on 2nd March 20 - not a tourist bus or caravan, I had the road to myself. I think this was just as we closed borders to international arrivals and before the NSW COVID lockdown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: momchilk

·
Registered
581 Posts
Saturday went looking at used cars, and the missus picked one for me to look at way out in the desert. We ended up buying that one. After the long hour and a half slog out on freeways, I opted to take the scenic route home. I stopped for lunch at a cantina (Mexican restaurant) and had a small tostada salad with beef before cutting into the canyon roads.

From Palmdale back to Long Beach via Aliso Canyon, Angeles Forest hwy, Angeles Crest Hwy, and then another bit on freeways in heavy traffic. Much better than the freeways all the way home in the reverse. Over the mountain was approximately 50 miles of sweeping turns and twisty bits. Roughly 185 miles for the day. I strained my back the weekend before, so I was happy to finally be home...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Roundtrip to Zanesville, OH USA: 292mi, 7hrs
Cloud Tire Plant Sky Wheel

Cloud Tire Plant Sky Wheel

Tire Cloud Wheel Plant Fuel tank

Ride on!

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, not today but tomorrow... I will be going down to Chula Vista for the Total Control ARC level 1 course. I have about 16 years riding experience bit most of it on an HD prior to getting my R, not that I didn't do some "spirited" riding on that too. The roadster is obviously MUCH more capable though.

I am definitely looking forward to the class though, and am excited to see what I can gain from it. I will post back with thoughts on the experience afterward.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, not today but tomorrow... I will be going down to Chula Vista for the Total Control ARC level 1 course. I have about 16 years riding experience bit most of it on an HD prior to getting my R, not that I didn't do some "spirited" riding on that too. The roadster is obviously MUCH more capable though.

I am definitely looking forward to the class though, and am excited to see what I can gain from it. I will post back with thoughts on the experience afterward.
Valley City Oh

Barn find...:p

Then over to the cruise in Brunswick:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Went to Redstar Raceway to grab a cup of coffee with my dad while looking at the riders doing laps around the track with all sorts of motorcycles.

Redstar Raceway is right next to the N12 highway, halfway between Johannesburg and Witbank, where myself and my parents reside respectively. This makes for a quick 65km ride to meet. We just need to do it more often.

I was one of the early birds at 08h30, but the place filled up quickly from 09h00 when the racing started.

·
Registered
581 Posts

Looking forward to hearing about your experience, I have yet to take ARC1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, not today but tomorrow... I will be going down to Chula Vista for the Total Control ARC level 1 course.
Looking forward to hearing about your experience, I have yet to take ARC1.
So, let me start by saying this was definitely time (and money) well spent! Class went from 8am-6pm and I was pretty much exhausted when I got home at just before 7. Shoulders and neck were sore last night, and thighs this morning (so much, thighs). I think this speaks most to my current state of physical fitness though, or lack thereof. :LOL: Also contributing was the "magic tires" exercise where we each took turns practicing full body positioning on our own bikes while the rest of the class leans the bike with rider over and back up again, at a stand still, 2 or 3 times per bike (class was full at 6 students). Also the physicality of the body positioning drills really gives you a new appreciation of the shape professional riders are in.

I will say that the lecture segments of the class felt a bit long. Having read through Lee Parks Total Control already on my own, much of the content felt like a rehash. I know not everyone attending is likely to have read it though, so it is sort of necessary. The instructor was truly excellent though, and really knows what he is talking about, and doing! If only the drills were half as easy as he makes them look! The instructor was "Fast Eddie" of YouTube Motojitsu fame, if you're familiar with that. If not, check it out. He has a wealth of knowledge presented there as well, much of which makes it into his class lecture portions. Though watching those is obviously nothing like running the drills yourself.

I feel like I did pretty well on the drills, but it was certainly a learning process, which is good - that was the whole point of being there. If we could have had about 30 minutes more time for each of the drills (for 2-3 more tries) I think I would have felt much more "finished" with each of them. Almost needs to be a 2 day class. They were not as easy to nail as I thought they would be, especially when we got into full body position drills after lunch time. I had never done anything along these lines previously so struggled a bit to get my upper body committed to the lean. It kept wanting to find it's way back to center point early. Let's just say I had no need for knee pucks during the class, but nor did I expect to. I was more focused on getting a grasp on the basic technique. It was a lot of fun working at it though, and now I want to go setup some cone circles, a camera, and do some more practice on my own. Now that I've gotten a feel for it and how it works I really want to get better at it!

Here is one of the coaching pictures that was taken of me doing my best to get into proper position. Looking at it, I see so much room for improvement - I'm almost embarrassed to post it - but we all have to start somewhere. At least I can see and recognize what is wrong now, which to me is a big step.

This all makes me want to go for a track day now, even more than I had already wanted to. I need much more practice on form and technique first though. I don't think I would take this class a second time as I'm not interested in sitting through the full lecture portion again, but will be looking into other options in the area to further my progress. If I could do a 2nd round of the class, skipping the lectures and suspension adjustment demo (mine is electronic anyway) - so straight demos/drills only - I would absolutely jump at the chance. Maybe I will try to see about getting a one-off session lined up. Not sure about the likelihood of that, but it would be awesome.

Feel free to reply or message me with any questions, everyone. I would be happy to reply back with thoughts if anyone has any.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't think I would take this class a second time as I'm not interested in sitting through the full lecture portion again, but will be looking into other options in the area to further my progress. If I could do a 2nd round of the class, skipping the lectures and suspension adjustment demo (mine is electronic anyway) - so straight demos/drills only - I would absolutely jump at the chance. Maybe I will try to see about getting a one-off session lined up. Not sure about the likelihood of that, but it would be awesome.

Feel free to reply or message me with any questions, everyone. I would be happy to reply back with thoughts if anyone has any.
They have an ARCII class for next time... I was wondering who your instructor might have been. I know a couple of the leads, as they are SV650 owners. I know what you mean about the thighs - there are a couple roads that I can practice form on up here in LA county, and when practicing proper body position I end up sore for a couple days. I need to ride more.

For you, Palomar's S6 (South Grade) and East Grade Roads would be good places to practice form without traveling to fast...

·
Registered
51 Posts
They have an ARCII class for next time... I was wondering who your instructor might have been. I know a couple of the leads, as they are SV650 owners. I know what you mean about the thighs - there are a couple roads that I can practice form on up here in LA county, and when practicing proper body position I end up sore for a couple days. I need to ride more.

For you, Palomar's S6 (South Grade) and East Grade Roads would be good places to practice form without traveling to fast...
Thanks. I'll check that out (the Palomar grades)! It seems the ARCII classes are very few and far between. I did notice yesterday that they still have openings at the TC Track Clinic at Willow Springs this coming weekend though (which have ARCI as a pre-req). It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from me here. I would love to sign up, but the wife is not going for it - she's not too keen on being left alone with "the crazies" for a 2nd weekend in a row, and I can't say I blame her. The next track clinic that's available I plan on attending though, which will give me more time to work on slower speed form and technique anyway. If it were only up to me, I would have signed up yesterday as soon as I saw the openings! Haha. Unfortunately I don't think the next track clinic will be until much later this year. Oh well, such is life with small crazy people (children). They are worth it though.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Roundtrip to Sandusky, OH USA: 203.3mi, 6hrs
Sky Water Plant Water resources Cloud

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Plant

Ride on!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Roundtrip to Punxsutawney, PA USA: 329mi, 8hrs.
Cloud Sky Plant Daytime Natural landscape

Tire Cloud Sky Plant Wheel

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Fuel tank

Ride on!

2021 - 2040 of 2100 Posts