BMW R1200R Forum banner
2061 - 2080 of 2100 Posts

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
Yeah, nah – didn't go anywhere as we're presently packing to move to the land of @Lawrence of Suburbia and, in any case, yesterday evening we went into COVID lockdown.

But I did get a video of my mate of longest standing on one of his side roads in the Adelaide Hills – the Corkscrew Road. Anyone who follows the Tour Down Under will recall the name - it's a very steep winding climb, and my mate is very familiar with it. He was trying out his GoPro, mounted just above the headlight of his 2007 Roadster. Not a bad pace for such a tight road.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
255 Posts
With our border still closed and our big ride deferred yet again, took a nice 2 day ride through Haliburton, Muskoka and Parry Sound backroads up to North Bay (Ontario, Canada)
Overnighted and then back over the top of Algonquin Park and via Barry’s Bay. 1200 kms

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank
Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am hoping to do an Iron Butt ride this year or next, and I wanted to do a long motorway ride to see what this bike is like. I did just over 600 miles today, and was very pleased with the comfort and the economy. I had quite a lot of rain at one point, that fine stuff that doesn't disperse easily. I have the BMW touring screen and it was noticeable that the airflow doesn't hit my visor, necessitating a lot more finger wiper-blade action than on other bikes I have owned.

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
100 Posts
Rode in PA mountains today, a brisk ride with some very nice guys. Cafe racer, roadster and ADV. weather was a perfect 73’F, no traffic and barely any dears :)

·
6,696 Posts
Canberra has been in COVID lockdown since last Thursday evening - one of those filthy Sydneysiders must have strayed this way (or vice versa …) so things have been quiet here.

Unfortunately, though, a staff member of Greenway Views retirement/aged care village has tested positive, and I was there during the exposure period, so I’m in home quarantine for a fortnight from Thursday. Today though, COVID testing provided an opportunity to get out on the Panzer on a crisp, sunny morning. It took a couple hours to get to the front of the queue, but the sun was shining, and I was at least sitting on my bike while I waited to have a cotton bud stuck up each nostril.

Below, a couple Blood Bike volunteers doing one of the six runs yesterday from Greenway Views taking COVID tests of residents and staff to Canberra Hospital for analysis. If I weren’t busy getting ready to move house, and now under quarantine, I’d be among them.

Reactions: v-rider and r0ckrat

·
Registered
100 Posts
Canberra has been in COVID lockdown since last Thursday evening - one of those filthy Sydneysiders must have strayed this way (or vice versa …) so things have been quiet here.

Unfortunately, though, a staff member of a retirement/aged care village has tested positive, and I was there during the exposure period, so I’m in home quarantine for a fortnight from Thursday. Today though, COVID testing provided an opportunity to get out on the Panzer on a crisp, sunny morning. It took a couple hours to get to the front of the queue, but the sun was shining, and I was at least sitting on my bike while I waited to have a cotton bud stuck up each nostril.

View attachment 112511
Way to go, finding something positive in otherwise bleak situation!

·
6,696 Posts
COVID tests of residents and staff
Fortunately tests of all residents and remaining staff showed a negative result for the presence of COVID (as has my test, unsurprisingly). A real blessing as the elderly don’t seem to fare too well with COVID and once it gets away in places like that, it’s hard to rein in.

Reactions: r0ckrat and fireman

·
Registered
581 Posts
Took a small ride with friends on Santiago, Live Oak, and Silverado canyons today. My first bike was just sold again, so we took the new owner out for a little fun. Easy roads, and nothing really special, but got to get out for a ride. I'd forgotten how good that SV 650 motor can sound.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
Hurricane henri drizzled through yesterday. We're far enough from the coast that it was just persistent rain and some mild gusting. I had today off and needed to visit a disabled vet I've know for a few decades. So while it was clear I took the roadster as I'm trying to avoid putting gas in the plow truck now that it's doubled in cost and climbing. About 50 miles round trip, we took his truck to Chipotle for lunch (I'd never been in one, was shocked to find it was pretty cheap) it was pouring buckets by the time we got back to his house. Pleasant enough ride over all 74 degrees mild traffic, I was properly soaked by the time I got home. Frog togs jacket must be wearing out, even my shirt was wet.

I've noticed prior that in mild rain the tank and cylinders provide some leg/lower torso protection, and I thought I was doing pretty well in that regard, till I came to a stop, and water that must have been suspended by the wind all at once dropped into my crotch. Better than a quarts worth, I felt it run completely under my bum.

Good thing the phone is water proof.

Still better than a day in a car:cool:🌞

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hurricane henri drizzled through yesterday. We're far enough from the coast that it was just persistent rain and some mild gusting. I had today off and needed to visit a disabled vet I've know for a few decades. So while it was clear I took the roadster as I'm trying to avoid putting gas in the plow truck now that it's doubled in cost and climbing. About 50 miles round trip, we took his truck to Chipotle for lunch (I'd never been in one, was shocked to find it was pretty cheap) it was pouring buckets by the time we got back to his house. Pleasant enough ride over all 74 degrees mild traffic, I was properly soaked by the time I got home. Frog togs jacket must be wearing out, even my shirt was wet.

I've noticed prior that in mild rain the tank and cylinders provide some leg/lower torso protection, and I thought I was doing pretty well in that regard, till I came to a stop, and water that must have been suspended by the wind all at once dropped into my crotch. Better than a quarts worth, I felt it run completely under my bum.

Good thing the phone is water proof.

Still better than a day in a car:cool:🌞
Any raingear will keep you dry for some time. In the rain like yesterday, short of wearing a space suit, noting would have helped. I rode for about 3 hours in my raingear on R1250R, and the only part of my body still dry was the back. the rest, soaked.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway and Little Switzerland in North Carolina yesterday. BRP's only 60 miles (@ 100km) from where I live now. I know this is a Roadster thread but the GS has to cover all the bases for now. Cheers! Dave

Wheel Plant Sky Tire Automotive lighting
Cloud Plant Sky Tree Land lot

·
Registered
255 Posts
Love this Area, so many good roads. You are a lucky guy!

Reactions: dbyker

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Lauren flattened the battery in her car overnight by leaving an interior light on, so she had to take my car to drop Lawrence off at school and get herself to work. I didn't have to see clients until lunch time so I figured I would put the battery on the charger for the morning, then drive the car to the school to see my clients (a 2 hour round trip). Once everything was hooked up I decided to change that plan and ride the bike with my psych stuff crammed in the panniers. Also used the trip to test my new Kevlar-lined, stretch chinos (From Shark Leathers for my Australian brethren), my Dririder Urban boots and the new tyre pressure sensors I finally installed. Everything went off without a hitch and I managed to get to the school whilst the kids were still outside playing, so I automatically gained 3 cool points for having a motorbike. TPMS shows the correct tyre pressures (I used the GS911 to change the display to PSI too) which was a relief given how hard it was to get them mounted. The boots were great to ride in and walk around in (they look and feel like canvas boots, but have protection inside) and the chinos look like regular pants and feel extremely comfortable.

Here is the obligatory photo of the bike outside of the school (facing away from the school to maintain confidentiality). The panniers are a bit dusty from sitting in the shed, but the bike has recently been cleaned (Lawrence even helped getting in the cracks of the wheels and engine bits).

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Fuel tank

·
Registered
105 Posts
Met up with BackOnABeemer in Vermont, the state between us. Got lunch at a mountaintop brewpub that serves wood fired pizza and overlooks 4 states. Rode through Western Massachusetts and stopped for coffee and took some pics. View attachment 112667
Met up with BackOnABeemer in Vermont, the state between us. Got lunch at a mountaintop brewpub that serves wood fired pizza and overlooks 4 states. Rode through Western Massachusetts and stopped for coffee and took some pics. View attachment 112667

400ish miles today, Boston to Cape May NJ.
First leg of a ride to Raleigh NC for a visit with daughter and grand daughter.
Long overdue due to COVID.
Plan is tomorrow early Ferry across to Lewes, then down across Chesapeake Bay Bridge and across the Outer Banks. Maybe Ocracoke tomorrow night.
Weekend visit in Raliegh then over to the Smokies and back North via Blue Ridge Parkway. Rough plan.
- Michael

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
105 Posts
Plan is tomorrow early Ferry across to Lewes, then down across Chesapeake Bay Bridge and across the Outer Banks. Maybe Ocracoke tomorrow night.
Weekend visit in Raliegh then over to the Smokies and back North via Blue Ridge Parkway. Rough plan.
- Michael

View attachment 112862
- Michael

View attachment 112862
Got to Nags Head today.
Decided to stay an extra day here and go fishing tomorrow. I have a day to kill as daughter won’t be home in Raleigh till Friday night.
Good day today. Lots of compliments on the bike!

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Sky Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Sky
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle
Boat Cloud Sky Watercraft Vehicle

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got to Nags Head today.
Decided to stay an extra day here and go fishing tomorrow. I have a day to kill as daughter won’t be home in Raleigh till Friday night.
Good day today. Lots of compliments on the bike!

View attachment 112870 View attachment 112871 View attachment 112872 View attachment 112873 View attachment 112874
Left Nags Head at 4:30 this morning thinking I had plenty of time to get to the 7:30 Cedar Island boat from Okracoke. Wrong, I barely made it.
I miscalculated the little free ferry from Hatter to Okracoke. I had to wait a bit for it and it took a good hour for the crossing when I thought I’d remembered 20 - 30 minutes.
All’s well and should get to Raliegh by late afternoon.
Cloud Fuel tank Tire Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Water Cloud Sky Boat Naval architecture

2061 - 2080 of 2100 Posts