·
Dave in NE TN
1,355 Posts
'Strada looks best in red IMO.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
Left Nags Head at 4:30 this morning thinking I had plenty of time to get to the 7:30 Cedar Island boat from Okracoke. Wrong, I barely made it.
I miscalculated the little free ferry from Hatter to Okracoke. I had to wait a bit for it and it took a good hour for the crossing when I thought I’d remembered 20 - 30 minutes.
All’s well and should get to Raliegh by late afternoon. View attachment 112886
View attachment 112887
View attachment 112888
Arrived.
Weekend visit here then head back north.

- Michael

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
I went on a ride with a group from New York Classic Riders. 7 hours of riding, with a solid 4-5 hours of brisk riding in the twisties of NJ, a few gas stops and a lunch brake. I’ve got to push the bike a bit more than usual today, and it handled everything I had with ease. ~300 miles of pure joy :giggle:

Approximate route:

Ecoregion Map World Line Atlas

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Cloud

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Plant

·
Dave in NE TN
1,355 Posts
Just the usual loop through the Appalachian Mountains of Northeast Tennessee & Western North Carolina. Endless perfect miles of untrafficked unpatrolled fabulous motorcycle roads. I really "need" a dual sport for the more gnarly dirt & gravel trails! And a Garmin inReach so I can be found when I fall off a mountain!

Many great pictures missed because I couldn't or wouldn't stop. Here's a docudrama snap of Franklin Mountain Road in WNC, not very technical but recently re-asphalted and very photogenic.

Cloud Plant Sky Tire Automotive tire

Here be Dragons! ;)

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just the usual loop through the Appalachian Mountains of Northeast Tennessee & Western North Carolina. Endless perfect miles of untrafficked unpatrolled fabulous motorcycle roads. I really "need" a dual sport for the more gnarly dirt & gravel trails! And a Garmin inReach so I can be found when I fall off a mountain!

Many great pictures missed because I couldn't or wouldn't stop. Here's a docudrama snap of Franklin Mountain Road in WNC, not very technical but recently re-asphalted and very photogenic.

View attachment 112898

Here be Dragons! ;)

Cheers! Dave
I’ll be out that way on my way home.
I have a room booked at Phillips Motel Monday night, then head north on BRP.
Stayed at same place a few years ago when we rode down for the eclipse.
Watched it from Hooper Bald off the Cherohala.
- Michael

Cloud Jeans Sky Plant Tripod
Plant Shorts Sky Tree Grass

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ll be out that way on my way home.
I have a room booked at Phillips Motel Monday night, then head north on BRP.
Stayed at same place a few years ago when we rode down for the eclipse.
Watched it from Hooper Bald off the Cherohala.
- Michael

View attachment 112899 View attachment 112900
Arrived Robbinsville around 4:00.
Checked in then took the obligatory ride to Deal’s Gap, dinner at Tapoco Tavern after. A bit of rain in the mountains, but not bad.
Blue Ridge Parkway north tomorrow, weather permitting.

- Michael
Sky Tire Cloud Plant Wheel
Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle
Furniture Tableware Table Interior design Public space

·
Registered
112 Posts
Arrived Robbinsville around 4:00.
Checked in then took the obligatory ride to Deal’s Gap, dinner at Tapoco Tavern after. A bit of rain in the mountains, but not bad.
Blue Ridge Parkway north tomorrow, weather permitting.

- Michael View attachment 112917 View attachment 112918 View attachment 112919
well, weather was not permitting.
I waited two days for the weather front to pass and left Cherokee this morning.
Beautiful day and well worth the wait.
Rode 350ish miles north and am in Roanoke tonight.
Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grass

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Food Tableware Table Sky Mountain

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you’re going to ride Skyline Drive, don’t forget to bring your National Parks pass like I did. Not free like Blue Ridge Parkway. I managed to convince the ranger I’d bought a senior pass earlier this year on trip out West.
Also 35 mph speed limit is ridiculous.
Most don’t observe, but some do, and a few feel they need to go even slower.
A problem, as passing opportunities are few and generally not long enough to pass a multiple vehicle back-up.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
37 Posts
If you’re going to ride Skyline Drive, don’t forget to bring your National Parks pass like I did. Not free like Blue Ridge Parkway. I managed to convince the ranger I’d bought a senior pass earlier this year on trip out West.
Also 35 mph speed limit is ridiculous.
Most don’t observe, but some do, and a few feel they need to go even slower.
A problem, as passing opportunities are few and generally not long enough to pass a multiple vehicle back-up.
I wasn't one who observed the speed limit, thought I was safe since I was riding the Skyline at 8am on a Sunday morning. Me and my buddy ended up with $175 tickets.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wasn't one who observed the speed limit, thought I was safe since I was riding the Skyline at 8am on a Sunday morning. Me and my buddy ended up with $175 tickets.
Ouch.
I found myself mostly in 4th gear, in the 40’s / 50’s mph. Saw no sign of enforcement.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,355 Posts
Ridden Skyline Drive many times in my 28 years in Virginia, it's posted 35mph/56kph and is all in Virginia which is Very Much a speed-based revenue enhancement state.

Blue Ridge Parkway is more in North Carolina and posted 45mph/72kph with a little lighter revenue enhancement in my experience.

There are so many other great roads just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, with higher speed limits, lower traffic and less enforcement, if you have the time to explore.

Still, completing the Blue Ridge Parkway in a straight shot in a single day is a quest for many people, including me in 2014 (pics have captions below if you move your mouse on them):

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: SteveJH

·
Registered
651 Posts
Last Saturday while the missus was attending her basic rider course I headed for the hills. First stop, a local Cars & Coffee event sponsored by Pelikan Parts. Some nice cars showed up there. Lots and lots of modern Porches and BMWs. Highlights were at least 3 BMW E30 M3's (first M3 version, late 80's box with boy-racer fenders and wing), an Aston Martin - I think DB5, and an honest Ferrari F40.

After that I headed for Crystal Lake Cafe up at the end of Hwy 39. Last time up the road had been treated with "tar snakes" to seal all the cracks in the pavement, and it was HOT (103 F) making it a very uncomfortable ride - very slippery. They have now re-coated the whole road, so lots of grip but bumpy. I was just out for a cruise, so faster than autos but not knee-dragging speeds. Headed back down and was home a little after noon.

The missus passed her class, and is retrieving paperwork today so should have her motorcycle endorsement soon. We are going to go look at a Buell Blast in great shape later this week.

A Hemi Beetle conversion... The E30 M3 behind it is an original owner car, and still sees occasional track days as well as being driven on a regular basis. IIRC he said 170k miles.

An old Alfa.

An F40 making an appearance with friends, 2 Carrera GT2's and a Mustang

An Aston Martin, I think it's a DB5.

A couple more photos of the F40 and friends.

The parking at Crystal Lake Cafe & Cabins, with the visitors center in the shot.

Crystal Lake in all it's... uhm... glory?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Last Saturday while the missus was attending her basic rider course I headed for the hills. First stop, a local Cars & Coffee event sponsored by Pelikan Parts. Some nice cars showed up there. Lots and lots of modern Porches and BMWs. Highlights were at least 3 BMW E30 M3's (first M3 version, late 80's box with boy-racer fenders and wing), an Aston Martin - I think DB5, and an honest Ferrari F40.

After that I headed for Crystal Lake Cafe up at the end of Hwy 39. Last time up the road had been treated with "tar snakes" to seal all the cracks in the pavement, and it was HOT (103 F) making it a very uncomfortable ride - very slippery. They have now re-coated the whole road, so lots of grip but bumpy. I was just out for a cruise, so faster than autos but not knee-dragging speeds. Headed back down and was home a little after noon.

The missus passed her class, and is retrieving paperwork today so should have her motorcycle endorsement soon. We are going to go look at a Buell Blast in great shape later this week.
Nice.
Is that last photo "Crystal Lake"?
Reminds me of a farm pond / mud hole I pass on the way to my camp in Maine.
There's a real estate for sale sign posted on the road proclaiming "Waterfront". Makes me laugh every time I pass.

- Michael

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes - that is "Crystal Lake" - a tiny little lake that seems to have stayed within about 5 feet of that waterline since the 80's - was talking to another older gent that used to fish there as a teen. It's above 5000 ft elevation. (I live at less than 100 ft, and about 65-75 miles from the lake.)

2081 - 2100 of 2106 Posts