BMW R1200R Forum banner
2201 - 2220 of 2222 Posts

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
457 Posts

Moto to the event. Rode the pedal bike. Moto home.

View attachment 115417
I think I've seen everything possible strapped to an 'R bike now :) skies, snowboards, surfboards, bicycles, spare tires, etc. In all fairness, a very cool idea and implementation. Used to ride road bikes a lot before my daughter was born. I still enjoy a good bike ride around Prospect Park, but no 50+ mile a day rides anymore.
Would you mind posting a few photos of the setup? Very curious of how you did it.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,202 ·
Reactions: v-rider

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
163 Posts
Moto to the event. Rode the pedal bike. Moto home.
I am always so impressed with what people think up, but on the other hand so glad not everyone tries things like this...
A lot of things can go wrong and if it does you are probably not the only one affected.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think I've seen everything possible strapped to an 'R bike now :) skies, snowboards, surfboards, bicycles, spare tires, etc. In all fairness, a very cool idea and implementation. Used to ride road bikes a lot before my daughter was born. I still enjoy a good bike ride around Prospect Park, but no 50+ mile a day rides anymore.
Would you mind posting a few photos of the setup? Very curious of how you did it.
Here is the fabricator: 2x2 Cycles in North Carolina. Mounting plate and bolt spacing is custom for the motorcycle. Flat steel plate over the BMW rack and steel pinch plates below.

I'd been considering this rack for a few years and finally purchased it a couple months ago.

Took the rack off already but can take more photos next time I mount it. Lots of photos and video on the fabricator's website.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here is the fabricator: 2x2 Cycles in North Carolina. Mounting plate and bolt spacing is custom for the motorcycle. Flat steel plate over the BMW rack and steel pinch plates below.

I'd been considering this rack for a few years and finally purchased it a couple months ago.

Took the rack off already but can take more photos next time I mount it. Lots of photos and video on the fabricator's website.

Wow! Just Wow! These are products of true pure passion. I can't imagine that there is a huge market for these types of racks, but then, they are in business, and it looks like for some time... BBQ rack killed me though... o_O Why would anyone need it?

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Wow! Just Wow! These are products of true pure passion. I can't imagine that there is a huge market for these types of racks, but then, they are in business, and it looks like for some time... BBQ rack killed me though... o_O Why would anyone need it?
What’s there not to like? A must for every Fat Boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,207 ·
With your widely-known and often self-confessed love of nosh I'm surprised you haven't got one of these already, mikeS!

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I went riding two-up with wife in northern NJ - PA between Manalapan NJ an Bethlehem PA.
We had only a general direction and a few waypoints we were going to hit on the way, with lots of random turns and avoiding all state and local freeways as much as possible.

First stop was Golden Nugget Antique Flea Market near Lambertville, NJ. Wife bought some hand made stuff and we went on.
Then we stopped at several garage/church neighbor sales, and wife picked up more stuff.
In the process, we made a lot of wrong turns (some on purpose, some by accident) and got lost in some of the most beautiful back roads of NJ and PA. I’m not 100% sure of the actual town names we went through, but it reminded me of the Hamptons NY: huge mansions and lots of 2 lane roads carving their way through wooded Pa mountains.
At 3/4 point to our destination, we were lost again, and found ourselves at the Van Sant Airport: home of vintage biplanes and a local motorcycle enthusiasts’ hangout. This was absolutely not planned, and turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip.
Once we arrived at Bethlehem PA, we looked at pretty house wife found in Zillow. We didn’t even get of the bike, found a local restaurant and went on to order Tuna Tartar, pulled crispy beef sandwiches and some fancy pants pasta.

On the way back we hopped on a highway because the weather was getting uncomfortably hot, and we needed some speed to cool-off.

Majority of the back roads had 25-35 MPH speed limits, and we spent time looking around rather than carving corners. Wife just started riding with me, and I’m new to how a bike handles with a passenger on the back, so I took it easy.

Overall riding time was around 6 hours, and bike performed flawlessly at every step of the way. R1250 engine is something out of this world… I honestly can’t tell the difference between riding two up and alone, power is just endless… suspension and brakes also did its job very well.

Wife enjoyed Wunderlich lowered passenger pegs, and comfort pillion seat, plus ability to lean onto Givi top box.
I enjoyed everything else about the bike :)

A few photos below:
Plant Helmet Tire Wheel Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Plant

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Cloud Sky Aircraft Vehicle Plant

Cloud Sky Vehicle Aircraft Airplane

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Aircraft Airplane Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Building Motorcycle

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Daytime Natural landscape

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
With our OzAlps European tour looming, Frau Panzer and I thought we’d better get our act together and make sure we have our gear sorted. Today we went for a little tootle out and about in the Sunshine Coast hinterland to ensure FP was comfortable in her latest biker ensemble.

A short run through the backroads to Beerwah then up the snaking, smooth bitumen to Peachester was enough to confirm comfort, although while the new boots were described as ‘perfect’ they still need some walking in.

For the first time since purchasing the set quite some years ago, we achieved very satisfactory intercom performance from our Scala Rider Q1 set. FP is an infrequent pillion and every other time we’ve tried it, we faffed about and finally gave up. In preparation for the OzAlps trip I recently put in a big effort with microphone and speaker placement, with positive results. I still wasn’t able to get Nav directions 90% of the time, and FP couldn’t get her iPhone to play music reliably, but at least the primary objective has been achieved - verbal communication rather than hand gestures.

At the Peachester Bakery Cafe we relaxed in the sunshine and enjoyed a tasty repast before heading off in a loop through Kenilworth, Mapleton and Montville. We both were imagining our Euro tour, me balancing between enjoying the curves and taking in the scenery.

At Palmwood we stopped for a further refreshment, this time at the renowned Rick’s Garage, decorated with 50’s memorabilia, before heading home.

We’ll do it again a few more times before heading OS.

I have to say the Panzer is the perfect mount for two-up exploration of the hinterland (and solo for that matter). With the electronic suspension set to Dynamic and rider plus luggage, the geometry and damping are perfect for handling and soaking up the bumps with my pillion-in-a-million on board. The engine pulls readily and eagerly from any revs above 2k, making for a relaxed and satisfying ride - you barely know the pillion is on board. All that at 4.9 l/100km. We even enjoyed tootling down Postmans Track - and I can see why it is not recommended for caravans. 😄

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Peachester cafe

Glasses Smile Plant Vision care Goggles

Happy pillion, happy life

Footwear Leg Human body Sleeve Grey

The ‘perfect’ boots

Drinkware Tableware Beer Drinking establishment Barware

Rick’s Garage

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle brake Rim
Not a Harley engine, but close - stationary pump engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
With our OzAlps European tour looming, Frau Panzer and I thought we’d better get our act together and make sure we have our gear sorted. Today we went for a little tootle out and about in the Sunshine Coast hinterland to ensure FP was comfortable in her latest biker ensemble.

A short run through the backroads to Beerwah then up the snaking, smooth bitumen to Peachester was enough to confirm comfort, although while the new boots were described as ‘perfect’ they still need some walking in.

Forthe first time since purchasing the set quite some years ago, we achieved very satisfactory intercom performance from our Scala Rider Q1 set. FP is an infrequent pillion and every other time we’ve tried it, we faffed about and finally gave up. In preparation for the OzAlps trip I recently put in a big effort with microphone and speaker placement, with positive results. I still wasn’t able to get Nav directions 90% of the time, and FP couldn’t get her iPhone to play music reliably, but at least the primary objective has been achieved - verbal communication rather than hand gestures.

At the Peachester Bakery Cafe we relaxed in the sunshine and enjoyed a tasty repast before heading off in a loop through Kenilworth, Mapleton and Montville. We both were imagining our Euro tour, me balancing between enjoying the curves and taking in the scenery.

At Palmwood we stopped for a further refreshment, this time at the renowned Rick’s Garage, decorated with 50’s memorabilia, before heading home.

We’ll do it again a few more times before heading OS.

I have to say the Panzer is the perfect mount for two-up exploration of the hinterland (and solo for that matter). With the electronic suspension set to Dynamic and rider plus luggage, the geometry and damping are perfect for handling and soaking up the bumps with my pillion-in-a-million on board. The engine pulls readily and eagerly from any revs above 2k, making for a relaxed and satisfying ride - you barely know the pillion is on board. All that at 4.9 l/100km. We even enjoyed tootling down Postmans Track - and I can see why it is not recommended for caravans.

View attachment 115648
Peachester cafe

View attachment 115649
Happy pillion, happy life

View attachment 115650
The ‘perfect’ boots

View attachment 115651
Rick’s Garage

View attachment 115652 Not a Harley engine, but close - stationary pump engine.
With all that sunshine, PZ, I bet you miss the brisk weather of our nation's capital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
It’s actually quite cool overnight here at the moment @mikeS. Yesterday morning was reminiscent of an early autumn morning in Canberra - crisp but gloriously sunny. Perfect for getting down the back yard to do some weeding.

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Wood Natural landscape

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
476 Posts
Yesterday I went to the dealer for major service and tires, spent three hours hanging around right next to this
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

It even matches my helmet, been trying to find something with more leg room due to my knees continuing to decline. Was going to look at adventure bikes, which I never liked, but I need the legroom. I rode an older K1600GT and wasn't smitten, this one is calling my name though.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
476 Posts
Rode down to the hill climb protest today, there is an AMA national hill climb in town. The club opened in 1944, first race 1945. Rumor is a lawyer moved in and has been filing complaints behind the scenes and the town has ordered the hill climb closed. There was a meeting tonight, and by law they have to accommodate everyone, so they can't handle the hundreds that showed up, so they are required to cancel, and reschedule at a facility that can accommodate. That is where they try tricking you through. They start announcing they can't accommodate. At 5:50pm for the 7pm meeting. But, if everyone leaves before 7, they declare the meeting open and proceed without you.

More euro bikes than I expected, lots of G bikes, old and new Triumphs, and brits a Ducati, and several KTMs. I left my phone home, so no pics, sorry.

I found as much as I dislike riding in small groups, I like huge groups even less. No problems, the club knows how to do a ride/parade and it was only a mile or two really.

I'm curious to see if they get away with killing the hill climb. My suggestion is they threaten to develop the 80 acre property into hundreds of high density section 8 housing units if they can't race. There are laws now that a community like ours, entirely lacking affordable housing, can't do anything to block development of that type of housing, over ruling zoning and town roadblocks. Let them decide which thing they want to NIMBY harder on, 4 hill climbs a year, or hundreds of permanent apartments.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
Still on my way, doing 500± miles a day, so haven't had time to update my thread. But thought you all might enjoy this. Bonneville Salt Flats.
What was your two-way average?

• Haha
Reactions: dbyker and r0ckrat
2201 - 2220 of 2222 Posts