BMW R1200R Forum banner
2221 - 2240 of 2242 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
168 Posts
Eifelhotel Malberg in the German Eifel mountains. Plenty of twisties, especially for those living in the Netherlands ;).
I am so super glad I decided to trade my FJR for this splendid R1200R last year! At the time I was ready to throw my hobby, but was saved by this trade!
Going through twisties is such a smooth experience now. I guess the Dunlop Mutants are helping a bit, because we did have some rain and lots of wet roads. These tyres gave me such great confidence! I used to drive like a wet newspaper in rainy conditions, but no more!

Cloud Glasses Sky Plant Plant community

Great views

Cloud Sky Wheel Mountain Vehicle

Lots of Bikers around

Sky Plant Stairs Wood Track

Many stairs to climb

Bottle Plant Drinkware Sky Beer

Thirsty afterwards ;-)

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
Big day out on LC today from my home base in Sydney's inner-west to Tamworth. Took the longest way (650km) via rural roads and zig-zagging all the backgrounds trying to avoid most of the dodgy flood-damaged routes. Good thing MikeS's Cafe de Wheels was open for business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Looks like you have a home away from home going on there Mike. 👌

• Haha
Reactions: v-rider

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Did you ever get to the Elvis Festival in Parkes, @mikeS? I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of you in your Elvis Smiffy and sunnies.
Forehead Nose Glasses Chin Smile

Reactions: mikeS and v-rider

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
I was travelling with a mate and ww did the Carinda Hotel and time away from us. It's the Elvis festival that is on my bucket list.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
I'll be heading down to the Moto GP this year PZ.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
We plan to drive down for MotoGP - Frau Panzer will drop me at the track Thursday and come back for Sunday’s racing, and to pick me up (I hope!). We’ll have to catch up, Mike.
A month later I’ll ride down for World SBK.
In each case I’ll be flag marshalling. 🏁

Reactions: r0ckrat and mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
We plan to drive down for MotoGP - Frau Panzer will drop me at the track Thursday and come back for Sunday’s racing, and to pick me up (I hope!). We’ll have to catch up, Mike.
A month later I’ll ride down for World SBK.
In each case I’ll be flag marshalling.
Two marshalling assignments within months of each other. Didn't push yourself too hard @Panzermann. Take a leaf out of this guy's book.

• Haha

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,230 ·
Two marshalling assignments within months of each other. Didn't push yourself too hard @Panzermann. Take a leaf out of this guy's book.

Trust me - that IS Pz!

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts

I understand it’s also necessary to shelter from the elements at times, Mike
Comfort Sky Sleeve Orange Automotive lighting

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
Rode down to the hill climb protest today, there is an AMA national hill climb in town. The club opened in 1944, first race 1945. Rumor is a lawyer moved in and has been filing complaints behind the scenes and the town has ordered the hill climb closed. There was a meeting tonight, and by law they have to accommodate everyone, so they can't handle the hundreds that showed up, so they are required to cancel, and reschedule at a facility that can accommodate. That is where they try tricking you through. They start announcing they can't accommodate. At 5:50pm for the 7pm meeting. But, if everyone leaves before 7, they declare the meeting open and proceed without you.

More euro bikes than I expected, lots of G bikes, old and new Triumphs, and brits a Ducati, and several KTMs. I left my phone home, so no pics, sorry.

I found as much as I dislike riding in small groups, I like huge groups even less. No problems, the club knows how to do a ride/parade and it was only a mile or two really.

I'm curious to see if they get away with killing the hill climb. My suggestion is they threaten to develop the 80 acre property into hundreds of high density section 8 housing units if they can't race. There are laws now that a community like ours, entirely lacking affordable housing, can't do anything to block development of that type of housing, over ruling zoning and town roadblocks. Let them decide which thing they want to NIMBY harder on, 4 hill climbs a year, or hundreds of permanent apartments.
An update if anyone is interested. The club is out serious money to their lawyer, so they wanted to limit people going to the follow up meeting to limit expenses that might result from more delays. Therefore I only have second hand details. Apparently the main complainant didn't want to be public, so at the meeting the only antagonist was a neighbor who is an electrician. After a couple complai8from him one member stood up and said "anybody here he has done electrical work for without pulling a permit, please stand up" and as people started standing, he decided to leave.

So the club mostly won. The beuracrats can't let anything go without extracting blood, so they are barred from running trucks on the hill.

It would be naive to think they will just give up, I expect they will make another play in the next year or two, but we can enjoy some victory in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Saturday rode with a couple of friends up to Crystal Lake Café via Hwy 39. Had lunch, then headed to Camp Williams for a coffee before coming back over Glendora Mountain Road (GMR a.k.a the Glendora Mountain Raceway).

Picture from the Azusa Mobil station before heading into the hills.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Ecoregion Map World Line Parallel

Elevation at Crystal Lake is about 6000 feet, Camp Williams is about 1700, and the GMR Lookout is at about 4500 feet. Azusa and Glendora are both about 600 feet, and we started from Long Beach at about 50 feet.

Weather was great going up, and cool at the top, but then hot from about 4400 feet down to Camp Williams, and over the top of GMR. Once headed down GMR the temperatures dropped a bit. Still a very warm day, and a little humid.

I took off the windshield and enjoyed the fresh air. I'd forgotten what it was like having to lean into the wind on the freeway, though.

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
111 Posts
Saturday rode with a couple of friends up to Crystal Lake Café via Hwy 39. Had lunch, then headed to Camp Williams for a coffee before coming back over Glendora Mountain Road (GMR a.k.a the Glendora Mountain Raceway).

Picture from the Azusa Mobil station before heading into the hills.

View attachment 116382

View attachment 116383

Elevation at Crystal Lake is about 6000 feet, Camp Williams is about 1700, and the GMR Lookout is at about 4500 feet. Azusa and Glendora are both about 600 feet, and we started from Long Beach at about 50 feet.

Weather was great going up, and cool at the top, but then hot from about 4400 feet down to Camp Williams, and over the top of GMR. Once headed down GMR the temperatures dropped a bit. Still a very warm day, and a little humid.

I took off the windshield and enjoyed the fresh air. I'd forgotten what it was like having to lean into the wind on the freeway, though.
Those Suzuki 1000S with you are incredible machines.
Rode one recently very impressed.

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
I managed to get away for a three-day ride and got back late last night. I had a good ride a few weeks since I decided to head back to the New England region of NSW. Lots of great roads with my Navigator set on Curvy Roads. I had my home base for two nights in Tamworth, staying at my go-to hotel. I managed to cover over 2100km over the three days. I can’t wait to get back on the road again.

Black Stump Way / Oxley Highway.

Back roads to Dungowan - with some dodgy corners heading up the Port Stephen Cutting - Niangala -Walcha Road.

For context - here's a clip I found on Youtube of a guy riding up the Port Stephens cutting the clip was loaded 9 years ago and the road condition now has deteriorated much more.

Also, great fun to do two laps of the Oxley H’Way from Walcha to Wauchope and back again.

I've posted this YouTube clip on previous us trips so for context for my post here - this route I took.

Of Course, I managed to have a few meals, and while in Tamworth - in my rush to be first in each night, I was first in … too early, but at least I beat the crowds.

My go-to bar - The Welders Dog - Looks like I beat the rush, but that pale Ale went down a treat, and I had another for good measure.

Diner first night at the Blue Flame - Indian Restaurant.

Chinese second night

A couple of random pix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,262 Posts
Got enough rice there?

Also, lovely weather, a lucky break.
The rice was only part of the story the tofu dish (POT) was massive. I could only get through 40% of the meal because I wanted to leave room for dessert. I'm not a big fan of Chinese desserts so I wandered past the Welders Dog bar for a nightcap - a pint of their house brew - Pine Ale.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Port Stephens Cutting was pretty rough the last time I went through - that video doesn't do justice how steep it is.
How is the Oxley condition?

2221 - 2240 of 2242 Posts