BMW R1200R Forum banner
2261 - 2273 of 2273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
3-Day Trip - Day 1:

I'm just back from an extended weekend ride on LC and hit the jackpot with the weather with near-perfect riding conditions. However, I should've paid more attention to weather reports/road closures, as I found trying to ride around all road closures due to the Namoi River breaking its banks. Also, I was surprised by the significant flooding around Wee Waa that cut off access to Gunnedah roads Tamworth.

I was up early Saturday morning, and after a quick coffee at my local cafe with my wife, I headed up M4 to the Blue Mountains to Lithgow and onto Castlereagh H'way to Gulgong to Black Stump Way. I planned to peel off at Warrumbungles Way just outside of Coolah. That's where the fun began. While the road was open, I found all the water over the road on some of the causeways quite deep, and after a few very slippery sections, I decided to double back and go a long way around. Anyway managed to snake my way around but faced a challenge when Gunnedah, with access roads into Tamworth, closed. Still, I did drive to flag down an SES driver who helped a couple with alternative routes so I could get into Tamworth for an overnight stop. With all the diversions and backtracking I ended up covering 750k.
Plant Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tree

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Property

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

I arrived in town later than I would've liked but with enough time for a quick shower, change and beeline to the Welders Dog bar for icy cold house Pale Ale (just the one). The hotel staff looked after me and reserved a under cover parking space for LC.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive lighting Road surface Tints and shades Gas Electricity

Drinkware Tableware Cocktail Barware Alcoholic beverage

With my hydration level sorted, I wander back to my hotel to the restaurant for dinner. For dinner my choice Pea & Sweet Corn Risotto with a house Merlot. I was offered complimentary starter - pitta bread and a neat pumpkin spread & olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Food Tableware Dishware Table Drinkware

Food Tableware Table Dishware Ingredient

After dinner left the dining room and into the font bar for dessert - always room for one Espresso Martini.

Property Furniture Table Tableware Stemware

I thought about have another EM but decided to go to my room as tomorrow would be a big day out on LC with a plan to catch up at Goondiwindi - border of NSW and QLD going the long way round that should have me covering 800k-ish round trip back to Tamworth.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
3-Day Trip: Day 2

Early start and first up a coffee heart-starter at a bit of hole-in-the-wall Camp Ground cafe on either side of my hotel and the Welders Dog bar. I recommend this little place for great coffee with a modern vibe (almost hipster-ish).
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Land vehicle

I got away from Tamworth early (just before 7:00 AM) and blasted up Fossickers Way on a mission to meet up with a mate in Goondiwindi, QLD but first up quick stop off at Bingara to check out a Roxy cafe - AKA Peters Cafe. I've seen it on my way through town but never stopped. So here is a link about the history of Peters Cafe for anyone interested - ( https://www.bingara.com.au/our-history/the-roxy-complex/the-roxy-cafe/ )

This place is well worth a visit, and entirely unexpected how grand this cafe is, with most of the old architectural features preserved.
Plant Building Window Door Residential area

Interior design Wood Flooring Floor Ceiling

Furniture Property Couch Picture frame Table

(Note to @Mint - so minty, my boy, you did say eat my heart out last week with your almost unbeatable Denman egg "samich" - here's the showstopper - the holy grail of retro-classic greek milk bar excellence. In-house baked white bread, hand-crafted egg with a hit of curry powder and shredded lettuce, a sprinkling of finely chopped chives, and a less-is-more 1/2 cherry tomato front and centre.)
Food Dishware Ingredient Tableware Recipe

After my brief stop at Bingara Cafe stop (43K from tamworth) it was time to get cracking and toured some remote roads and up to the southern end of the QLD border.

Sky Vehicle Mirror Plant Motor vehicle
Sky Plant Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt
Plant Sky Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt

Travel some very remote regional road with very little traffic and could count on one hand the number of bikes I saw over the next few hours. I did have a bit of an interesting moment tuning onto the road (can't recall the name) road leading into village of North Star - right on the corner was the large section of the deepest and very large gravel section. I must say LC's front wheel got a little out of shape. The dashcam collected a few bugs and good helping of mud on my way up.

Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive mirror Mode of transport

The rest of the run up to QLD was run up to was uneventful but enjoyable albeit remote with hardly any passing traffic.

Attachments

Reactions: v-rider

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
3-Day Trip: Day 2

Early start and first up a coffee heart-starter at a bit of hole-in-the-wall Camp Ground cafe on either side of my hotel and the Welders Dog bar. I recommend this little place for great coffee with a modern vibe (almost hipster-ish).
View attachment 116941
I got away from Tamworth early (just before 7:00 AM) and blasted up Fossickers Way on a mission to meet up with a mate in Goondiwindi, QLD but first up quick stop off at Bingara to check out a Roxy cafe - AKA Peters Cafe. I've seen it on my way through town but never stopped. So here is a link about the history of Peters Cafe for anyone interested - ( https://www.bingara.com.au/our-history/the-roxy-complex/the-roxy-cafe/ )

This place is well worth a visit, and entirely unexpected how grand this cafe is, with most of the old architectural features preserved.
View attachment 116936
View attachment 116937
View attachment 116938
(Note to @Mint - so minty, my boy, you did say eat my heart out last week with your almost unbeatable Denman egg "samich" - here's the showstopper - the holy grail of retro-classic greek milk bar excellence. In-house baked white bread, hand-crafted egg with a hit of curry powder and shredded lettuce, a sprinkling of finely chopped chives, and a less-is-more place 1/2 cherry tomato front and centre.)
View attachment 116939

After my brief stop at Bingara Cafe stop (43K from tamworth) it was time to get cracking and toured some remote roads and up to the southern end of the QLD border.

View attachment 116940 View attachment 116942 View attachment 116943

Travel some very remote regional road with very little traffic and could count on one hand the number of bikes I saw over the next few hours. I did have a bit of an interesting moment tuning onto the road (can't recall the name) road leading into village of North Star - right on the corner was the large section of the deepest and very large gravel section. I must say LC's from wheel got a little out of shape. The dashcam collected a few bugs and good helping of mud on my way up.

View attachment 116945

The rest of the run up to QLD was run up to was uneventful but enjoyable albeit remote with hardly any passing traffic.
More Day 2 images:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

This Hotel has an interesting name:

Sky Building Plant Tire Window

Round trip for the day ended being 820km and by the time I got back into Tamworth I was was spent but so hungry I could have almost chew my own arm off. Quick shower and change and hot-footed off to my go-to when in town Indian Blue Flame restaurant. The food and the service is alway good. Myt dinner choice ws Vegetable Gurjatle Style dish with saffron rice and 1 plain naan bread.

Fixture Facade Retail Signage Door

Food Tableware Bottle Table Dishware

Reactions: v-rider

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Here a some rando images I took while away:
Tire Property Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

On my way home yesterday I decided to stop off from a quick breakfast at Molly May's in the village of Manilla. Nice little place with above average food and service for your typical small village:

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Building Table Wood Fixture Event
Plant Building Tree Land lot Sky

Food Tableware Table Plate Dishware
Plant Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle Natural environment

All-up I punched out 2.250K over the 3 days. Most enjoyable time away and can't wait to get back out there on LC.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Another delayed report. Saturday the 24th made a loop from La Canada/Flintridge up Angeles Crest Hwy to Angeles Forest Hwy, then Mt. Emma Road, Valyermo Rd, and Big Pines Hwy to Wrightwood, returning to La Canada/Flintridge by Angeles Crest hwy. A little over 200 miles total for the day with a trio of friends (including the freeway slogs from Long Beach.) Here's a view about halfway back along ACH. It overlooks a closed portion of Hwy 39 (the ridgeline along the left over the fence.)

Sky Wheel Vehicle Tire Mountain

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Great day out on LC although I did have to amend my route quite a few times to dodge road closures due to flood damage. I did manage to navigate my way around most of the heavy rain areas so and clocking up 650km. Left home at 7:00ish this morning with a planned overnight stop at Albury NSW. From my home in the inner west of Sydney took all of the back roads with a lunch stop at Gundagai. After lunch, I bypassed the highway via the backway to Cootamundra-Junee-Wagga -The Rock and on to Albury. The highlight (apart from the great roads travelled) was my lunch stop at the rebirth version of the Niagara Cafe at Gundagai...wow! Famous for being Australia’s oldest Greek Cafe - which opened in 1902. A link below with a bit of history if anyone is interested.

Here are a few pix of the Cafe:

Note for @Mint - I've cracked it and hands down the best-ever curried egg salad sandwich. Feast your eye on this work of art @Mint.

@Mint.

Here are a random few pix I took a long way.

I have to sneak in a happy snap of the dinner I just consumed with gusto. Vegetarian Pad Thai.

And of course, a nightcap from my hotel's bar has to be an Espresso Martini.

Tomorrow I'm off to regional VIC with an overnight stop in Melbourne CBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
Great day out on LC although I did have to amend my route quite a few times to dodge road closures due to flood damage. I did manage to navigate my way around most of the heavy rain areas so and clocking up 650km
I'm planning my PI trip and know what you mean re road closures. The plan is to pick my way down to the Waterfall Way and stay first night at Ebor, but that's not workable at the mo'. OK further south. Hoping the weather will settle a bit over the next week or so ...

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Yeah, it’s crazy at the moment road closures are a moving feast and hard to plan. What has helped me a lot is having Wavze app running on my iPhone, and BMW navigator GPS both working together. Of course, it is not all seamless having these two working together but very helpful all the same. With my four pillars - Wave, Navigator, Garmin InReach and a paper map, I’m getting around most of the issues… famous last words I guess. A couple of weeks ago I managed to work around the Gunnedah road closures and it was my paper map that saved the day the onboard IT had me going around in circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
… it was my paper map that saved the day the onboard IT had me going around in circles.
I know what you mean - switching windows between NSW Roads and Google Maps, trying to relate the two, was driving me nuts last night. I resolved to purchase a paper map of NSW.

Reactions: mikeS
2261 - 2273 of 2273 Posts