BMW R1200R Forum banner
2281 - 2300 of 2307 Posts

·
Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,772 Posts
My new-to-me '12 R12R (in full 'bagger' mode) took me to Deal's Gap & The Dragon for my 65th birthday. A nice fall day with leaves starting to turn in the mountains. Some crazy squirrely roads to keep your attention. What riding is about.

This is my fifth trip there over the years and honestly may be one of my last - too many people, bikes, Harley convoys, cars, trucks, trailers, all that. Other roads all over this area offer similar levels of curves, thrills & scenery with pretty much no traffic.

My Nav VI set for "curvy roads" put me on this little 1.5 lane roller coaster called Walden's Creek Road between Walland & Sevierville that ran past rich secluded properties carved into the hills & gorges outside the commercial & suburban sprawl of Pigeon Forge.

Almost Heaven, Tennessee :)

Cheers! Dave
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,283 ·
Having spent a year in UK during the period of Creutzfeldt–Jakob (Mad Cow) disease cases, I haven’t been allowed to donate blood for 35 years. Recently that ban in Australia was revoked, so today I took the Panzer to our local donation centre.
That Mad Cow Disease was no joke. The wife of a friend and ex-workmate of mine sadly died a very early, nasty, and tragic death from it here in Oz, but probably contracted it during the few years they lived and worked in the UK. It was a sad affair - she was a lovely, lively, vibrant, life-loving lady (I use the word deliberately) - far too good for my mate!

Donate-on, Pz!

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,284 · (Edited)
Having been guilty of suggesting this particular Forum topic way back in February 2017, it is one Thread that I always enjoy reading here. My helmet is now hanging-up and my boots and ear-plugs are gathering dust as the age of 83 finally and recently brought to an end my own two-wheel riding days, after many false stops and re-starts.

In particular mikeS's own recent adventures have given me a lot of pleasure, so please keep it up, mikeS! I did a lot of more-or-less local riding back in the day, but was never fortunate enough to find any of those excellent nosheries that just seem to be on your every outing. Queensland seems to be a bit of a culinary desert as far as those places are concerned.

Nosh on, mikeS!

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
Thanks, @Lawrence of Suburbia - always on the hunt for a new nosh stop. On my recent trip, I caught up with my Son in Melbourne for the Melbourne Marathon. Of course, I had to help him carbo-load for the run.

And replace some of the sugar lost and calories lost.

Also happened to be an international coffee day

Dinner at Longrain - Melbourne Chinatown

Oh, yeah, the motorcycle

Some random pix along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,286 · (Edited)
Thanks, @Lawrence of Suburbia - always on the hunt for a new nosh stop. On my recent trip, I caught up with my Son in Melbourne for the Melbourne Marathon. Of course, I had to help him carbo-load for the run.

Talk about six dogrees of separation! It's almost exactly 40 years ago to the day that I ran my first, and last, Marathon in 1982 in Melbourne, where we were then living. Then at age 42 or thereabouts I achieved the three main things I was after - finishing: finishing and running every single step of the way: finishing in a decent time for my age. Did it in 3.08'37", pretty good for my age and given that I had absolutely no prior serious training or sporting exercise, although I did prepare scientifically and seriously for about 18 months beforehand. Thereafter I completed several half Marathons (best time 88 minutes) and other long-ish distance runs up until 2006, but could never again summons the effort and willpower required for another 42.2km outing on two feet! Running a Marathon is like getting married or climbing Mt Everest - once is enough. As for myself, even 40 years on it remains one of the two most satisfying achievements of my life.

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
I can't recall my son's marathon time but he finished 53 out of 6000 for 42k. Of course, the first three places went to Nigerian runners - genetically engineered to run - super athletes for sure.

My wife entered the 5k - I think she might be still running. For my part, I beat my PB - as keeper of the stuff in the stand, I managed not to lose everyone's backpack.
Flinders street station/square the night before the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,288 ·
I can't recall my son's marathon time but he finished 53 out of 6000 for 42k. Of course, the first three places went to Nigerian runners - genetically engineered to run - super athletes for sure.
No need to know your son's precise time, mikeS, unless it comes to you in the middle o' the night when you get up to raid the 'frig and appease the pangs of hunger. 53/ 6000 would be an excellent and outstanding effort - well done that man!: (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
90 Posts
Today I rode through the beautiful southern Bavaria. The colourful autum leaves and a sunny 21° tempted a lot of riders with the common season plates, the are valid from March to October. I also visited the Martin bike store, that used to be open on sunday, but no more. Anyway I must say apologies to Hans A. Muth when criticising his RnineT RS style. In natura it's reall nice bike and awsome crafted. I even thought how my roadster would look like with it. Maybe someday if I stumble over a fairing of an R100RS, that has been sacrified for a cafe racer ... I also saw the, considering this forum, world famous WM - MI 19 waiting for her new master.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,931 Posts
Well spotted, @hexer.
Had they replaced the LH head cover? I paid good money for a new one, including superfluous gasket replacement. 😄

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well spotted, @hexer.
Had they replaced the LH head cover? I paid good money for a new one, including superfluous gasket replacement. 😄
That was the first thing I checked and it's still the old one with scratches. I wouldn't replace it either as long as it's for rent and keep the new cover in spare for the buyer.

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
Sunday morning turned on brilliant sunshine with no rain forecasted for the day. So I wheeled LC out of the shed to get amongst some twisties. I planned to blast down to the Southern Highland NSW and spend the day zig-zagging between Fitzroy Falls, Jamberoo Mountain Road and Macquarie Pass. Apart from Jamberoo Mount road closures due to flood damage/landslips - Fitzroy Falls and Macquarie Pass roads were in pretty good shape (I've attached a couple of links for context). I also wanted to explore a few of the local and regional routes less travelled, so I set my Nav preferences to Curvy roads. Excellent day out, just tooling around regional backgrounds and knocked 500 clicks for the day.

Here are a few random GoPro Pix:

Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Plant Motor vehicle Tree Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar
Automotive lighting Plant Helmet Automotive tire Tree
Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
I forgot to include route links:

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
On last Sunday's ride, I caught sight of this guy on HD with ape hangers and wearing WWII German-style helmet, drinking a glass of beer or perhaps ginger ale. I didn't think I captured this frame on my dashcam. Unfortunately, the image is not the best, and I don't have time to rework the photo, but you can see his holding a glass in his left hand.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Plant Automotive tire

Sky Tire Plant Wheel Tree

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP>V85TT evocative Rosso
499 Posts
I took the R over to Springfield Indian today and bought a set of tires, with a 2022 V85TT spooned into them.
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

Mr Pudding was so comfortable in the top box I'm tempted to modify it for him to ride if I could adequately protect his eyes.

I'll miss the top end power I'm sure, but so far I'm loving the Guzzi. What beautiful paint the Italians do!

Looking to the dark winter ahead meant trading down allowed me to come away owning it outright while I still had two years to pay on the BMW. And I got the $750 freight credit and an extra year of warranty for buying in the off season. My first bike with spoke wheels and 1st air cooled. Once I lower the pegs and get a high saddle on it my knees should be much happier.

I loved the R, and the power delivery was incomparable, but even 2" lowered pegs and the custom +1.25 saddle eventually weren't enough.

It's been fun on the forum here, I guess I will see what is out there for forums for the new bike, keep the rubber side down everyone.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP>V85TT evocative Rosso
499 Posts
I almost bought a Guzzi V85TT, and I'm not sure I won't have one, or V7 sometime in my future.
I ended up with the R when I found the launch edition with full billet catalog on it, the V85TT was on the list. Very happy with the upgrades they've done in the meantime, like tubeless wheels.

2281 - 2300 of 2307 Posts