BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 2,715 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Well I've been out for the first ride shouldn't of really but couldn't resist, was only 60 miles but shoulder and hand was hurting no point in undoing good work surgeon done. Ride was nice and smooth no twitchy throttle like me SM-T, exhaust is quite need to get baffle out lol. Sports screen works up to speeds of 80-90 mph roads where dirty so didn't wanna push her too hard will save that for another time.

On Sunday went through the jungle then left the bike to take a boat to a little island in the Caribbean: Isla Aguja, San Blas. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day so I wasn't able to take great pictures at the beach.

Wilmington NC to Southport

Yesterday I rode from my home in Wilmington, North Carolina down to Southport. The movie Safe Haven was filmed there last year and it is a nice scenic area. On the way back I stopped by the Wilmington riverfront and snapped a few photos. I doubt if anyone on here watched the show One Tree Hill, but this spot on the river was a frequently used set in that show, and is the home of the Battleship NC Memorial. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how using an iPad.

Night Touring

My night touring partner rode his R100RS. Destination was about three hours by expressway and half an hour on the twisty mountain backroads.

Sorry the bike photo is too dark. The cherry tree looks great by day.

It takes on a different atmosphere by night.

Some hot noodles and green tea make the cold ride home bearable.

50-miles of nice-enough Carolina backroads to work and back.
Today.
Yesterday.
Last week.
Tomorrow.
Next week.
Warm, cold, rain, shine.
Same old same old.
Ho hum.
:10:

Today I had a very nice ride of exactly 101km each way from my home just south of Brisbane to Bribie Island, a little north, Bribie being the only sizeable island on the east coast of Australia to be connected to the mainland by a bridge, about a kilometre long here.

After riding 20km from home along semi-urban roads I hit the motorway north (Cairns -1636km), carried on for another 60km at posted limits of 100 and 110kph, then turned east for another 20km through open farmland until I reached the Bribie bridge.

Bribie Island is a sand island, about 20km long x 4km at its widest. 90% is National Park, but there are a few small settlements at the southern end, previously largely of holiday and weekend fishing shacks but now mainly comprising family homes, often for retirees who love fishing, golf, and the beach, and some holiday units.

Separating Bribie from the mainland is the long, skinny Pumicestone Passage, named by Capt James Cook when exploring this coast in 1770 after claiming Australia - or Terra Australis (southern land) as it was then known – for Britain. The Pumicestone Passage is so-called because of the preponderance of that type of light, rocky, volcanic material found there, originating from the now-extinct volcanoes just inland and north - in the pic you can just make out the beginnings of the chain on the horizon, just R of centre. Cook called these the Glasshouse Mountains, as they reminded him of the glass manufacturing 'houses' of his native Yorkshire.

Temps today ranged from about 19°C on leaving home at 10am to about 23° on the return leg (67° to 74°F) - perfect riding weather, although a stiff in-my-face southerly breeze on the way home was a bit of a pain. The bike ran perfectly: I’d not been out for a cuppla weeks, and it again brought home to me the joys of being on the open road when the sun is shining and all’s well with the world!

The bike ticked over 4000km today, just getting nicely run-in: another 1500km and I’ll drop the oil and replace the filter, my normal between-service practice.

Happy days!

Lawrence of Suburbia
outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

Looks just lovely, Lawrence. I'm sure it was a fine day.

My bud Darryl and I rode all the way across town (such a slog, perhaps three whole miles) to the Yacht Harbor, where we had lunch sitting under an umbrella at Aldo's, overlooking the harbor entrance and boats and birds. :10:

Oh it is a hard life indeed.

.. we had lunch sitting under an umbrella at Aldo's, overlooking the harbor entrance and boats and birds. :10:
David - I don't think that I could handle more than about 24 hours of that!

L of S

Where did I go on my R12R today? Home, from the dealer I bought it from today ;)
That's absolutely the best trip of all, Thomas! Enjoy!!

L of S

A circular ride today, 157km in bright sunshine and 22°C temp (72°F), finding it hard to believe that it’s less than two weeks until the first day of what laughingly passes for winter here!

Took it easy as I was running-in my new riding jacket, with Montego Blue matching panels on it – amazing value at only $120 on-line. Beautifully made with CE armour, zip-in warm liner, breathable waterproof membrane, etc.

This pic is at Surfers Paradise, on our Gold Coast, in southern Queensland, about 65km S of my home. Mile after mile of pristine white fine sand, beautiful surf, and pretty much year-round sunshine makes the Gold Coast Australia’s favourite holiday venue (and site of the Commonwealth Games in 2018). I imagine it’s much like some US beachside locations in Florida or California…

Getting there from my home is often a matter of dicing with death on the Freeway, as motorists duck and weave in and out without signalling, speed, tail-gate, and chatter on mobile phones. It’s a nightmare, and I hate it – but strangely I feel somewhat safer on the bike than in the car along that stretch – maybe it’s to do with better all-round vision, or maybe I’m much more alert and aware on the bike than when in the car.

But the destination is worth it…

Lawrence of Suburbia

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

Montego Blue 2013 R1200 R, PUIG rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming…

Still waitin for delivery of my bike plus a recent op on my shoulder and hand is gonna keep me out of saddle for a while but will enjoy readin your adventures plus pics.
set my alarm this morning for 7am and rode my new R1200R out of Gibraltar and along the coast to Sotogrande in Spain,back home in time for breakfast with the family

... rode my new R1200R out of Gibraltar and along the coast to Sotogrande in Spain
... said he, casually! That's gotta take a lot of beating!

L of S

:10::alucard:

21 - 40 of 2,715 Posts