BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 2,715 Posts
****, all these great rides sure beat my Chicago commute dodging fertilizer trucks, fume-spouting cross country barges and tiny little demented 80 year olds driving Cadillacs.

Fully loaded ready for our first camping trip.

Fully loaded, ready to go.

. Lunch stop in Finchingfield with my friends FJR1300.

Jeezus Christ, Dave - have you got the kitchen sink, Jacuzzi, and flat-screen telly in there! Must be VERY top-heavy: not for me (7-stone weakling that I am!).

L of S

Mountains & Rain

Taking a week off work and getting back in touch with my soul. Hopping on the bike always helps put things back into perspective. Headed on highway 14 west out of Fort Collins towards Steamboat. But not all the way just yet; lots of wind and rain. Short but sweet 125 mile ride.

Attachments

LofS, you can never take enough warm clothing when camping. We didn't have enough room for the kitchen sink and the TV runs on 240V, I couldn't work out how to step it down to 12V.

The bike handled remarkable well. It sat a little lower, my friend who was following said my rocker cover bars were about an inch of the ground going round corners. I did have to use more revs and stay in a lower gear for longer to keep it smooth but the brakes were as awesome as usual.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Just come back from a family visit dicided to take the r12 for this trip 275 miles each way from Devon through Wales and onto Liverpool, outward bound was in wet and very wet conditions for all but the first 10 miles I was impressed with bikes sure footedness. My homeward journey was again wet but not very but for me personally was a ride to far, I must get stronger pain killers :)

That's a lot of riding in one day, Dr!

L of S

Went to Galena Ill (NW part of IL)from Bloomington, IL (200 miles) to get out of the flatlands and see the Mississippi, trees, hills and curves. This was taken on Blackjack road just south of Galena. There is some great roads in that area compared to the middle of IL.

Attachments

Annual Ride for Dad

Just returned from the annual 'Ride for Dad' day here in Ottawa, Ontario. This is an annual charity drive for prostate cancer research.
An awesome time was had. Where else can you ride with 1600 other bikes and have the police waving you through red lights!
Saw some other BMW's of course, GS, ST, RT but know other 12R's. Kinda cool to be unique! Great Day!
Brian
:10:

Devils Staircase Road, Queenstown, New Zealand. Hours ride and back from home, follows Lake Wakatipu. Coming into our winter, 8 degress celius or 46.7 degress F.

New bike looks good, Erin - and you don't look TOO cold! The hand-guards must help? Bbrrrrrrr! Only 24 here today (=75 deg F) - after all, we are now in winter..

Lovely back-drop in your pic.

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

Rode to Custer, SD, after work. Ate at a new burger place there (Black Hills Burger and Bun Company). Nice, clean joint with good food, and great atmosphere. Tourists and locals chatting with each other.

Rode through Custer State Park on the way home. Lots of bison (buffalo) along the road, the R1200R seemed to catch their attention, I was wondering if they were about to charge me. Maybe they sensed their kin digesting in my tummy.

Just did a track day last Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. Barber is an amazing and beautiful facility. It had sculptures all over the place, beautiful landscaping, and was just pristine. Even my wife enjoyed visiting.

It rained all afternoon and I'm happy to report that my stock Bridgestone BT-021's did really well in the rain on the track. I only had one "Oh ****" moment when I braked late going into a tight corner and the ABS kicked on. But the bike slowed down in time and I made it through the turn with no problems.

I have also done two track days at Road Atlanta this year with my R12R, and I felt much more comfortable with RoadA's "fast and flowing" layout than the tighter, more technical layout of Barber. Not sure if that's due to the bike or the rider.

Rode the Glenorchy Road, near Queenstown New Zealand, this is half and hour from my home.
My other half 'Des' his bike is the 1100s pictured besides my Black 2007 r1200r.

:eek: Oh dear, that would spin me out, I did live in London for a couple of years. But I like my 5 min from work to home commute by motorbike, 30min push bike ride, or just for kicks, I'll take a 45km loop from work back to home opposite direction through a rural type setting.
Who said buy a motorbike to save on petrol!
I like the comparsion though, and when I did live in London, I commuted by push bike, I got really street wise savey, it was a buzz really, ducking and diving through the traffic.
Music concerts where high on the must do's, and generally we made the most of what cities have to offer, and the closeness to Europe...though was not into having my own motorbike then....bit of a shame really.

where did I go today on my R1200 R...?

Funny you should ask - I took my bike in for its scheduled 10,000 km service today. Here's a letter I've just written to the (names deleted) dealership:

G’day XXX.

I brought my bike in for its 10,000 km service today.

Your techs dealt with me promptly and courteously, and I was quite happy with the bike when I collected it later in the day.

However, I was absolutely gobsmacked to find that I’d been charged no less than $84 for 4L of engine oil. This is a rip-off of mammoth proportions, and I cannot see how it comes anywhere near to being justified. I could buy 4L of branded top-quality fully synthetic oil locally for around $60 – even less when it’s on special, so how you arrive at $84 for a non-synthetic is beyond me – and beyond a joke. And please don’t tell me that it’s a ‘special’ BMW oil – oils ARE oils in this case!

The most I’ve ever been charged for 4L of engine oil oil in the (recent) past was $60, and I was unhappy at that – can you imagine how I feel at now being charged almost half as much again.

I’d like to hear an explanation of this cost. I am commercially-enough astute to know that you have to put a margin on the cost of your consumables, and I don’t expect them to be passed through to a customer at your cost – but you must be profiteering to a huge degree at this price.

It is convenient for me to use XXX for my servicing, and I have no complaints about quality or service, but I do object to being ripped-off.

I await your response.

Yours…

Lawrence Watson

August 27th 2013

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Guess which dealership I won't be using again in future - unless I get a rational explanation...)

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ASC, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Go Cruise throttle control, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing. Now at 10329 km…

41 - 60 of 2,715 Posts