BMW R1200R Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1712 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Probably not the best day for a regional ride with lots of active fire zones in all directions and bushfire smoke-filled air. However, I need to get out bike regardless to clear my head and also hear how the new Akrapovic CAN under load.

I headed to the Southern Highlands and possible run up and down Fitzroy Fall twisties, but heavy fog put an end to that plan. I got to Exeter general store café and it was a little quiet as most day-trippers stayed away as there an active fire zone only 2Ks away at Bundanoon.

https://youtu.be/eQxjmTZJWPM
The cafe owner was very happy to see an out areas visit the village and insisted on offering an on the house breakfast/brunch. I really didn’t feel like very much top eat but decided to accept hois hospiutality. Largest plate of scramble eggs I have ever seen..

On my way back I toom a run through Balmoral Village - just awful to see the bushfire devastation.

Silverdale sall set of twisty sections in the fog.

https://youtu.be/DAjVB_EJv3o

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Sorry about the typos... Finger, fingers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mike, the bush fires in Oz are front page news most days here in the UK, its truly shocking and all in Oz are in my thoughts.

A bloke from my local RoSPA group (probably the most skilful biker I’ve ever met) emigrated to Brisbane last week with his good lady and I hope it works out well for them, though its possibly not the best time to arrive during a crisis like this.

Glad you’re able to get out on the bike in those conditions.....stay safe!

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Thanks for your kind thoughts @Spoonman2. Yeah, it's a very distressing situation and although we accustomed to dealing with the typical Aussie summer bushfire session, nothing, nothing, like this. The couple pix I posted doesn't do justice to the scale and destruction I saw first hand. I captured lots more upsetting footage on my GoPro, but somehow, it didn't feel right posting some of the images of all those family farms in ruins. Oh, and all those poor native animals. When I got home after the ride, I felt very unsettled at what I saw. However, there's some good news, and hopefully, the forecasted rain will be enough to bring some much-needed relief.

I'm even more motivated not to let the bushfire events stop me from doing what I enjoy being out-and-about on my LC touring regional roads. Spending time in small country towns in search of the best cafe or the holy grail - the perfect Indian restaurant meal (vegetarian of course). Oh, and yes @Panzermann - the perfect espresso martini.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,685
Mike, the bush fires in Oz are front page news most days here in the UK, its truly shocking and all in Oz are in my thoughts.

A bloke from my local RoSPA group (probably the most skilful biker I’ve ever met) emigrated to Brisbane last week with his good lady and I hope it works out well for them...Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brisbane-ite here. Touch (hopefully uncharred) wood, Brisbane itself has been spared any effects from close bushfires, other than drifting smoke at times. Those fires that have erupted in the vast state of Queensland (8 x the size of the UK) have been further afield. Your Bloke and his Missus will probably find the summertime high humidity harder to take, but the rest of the year, so-called 'winter' especially, is usually balmy. >:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry for going massively off-topic here, but the whole bush fires and climate change thing is so huge here at the moment. Here’s a link to just one BBC article on the bush fires with more of a focus on the debate about future prevention, but with loads of links to other related topics on the BBC. Hopefully it gives a flavour of how big this is for us in Britain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51043828

I do find the aboriginal approach to prevention fascinating (no idea if they’re right, not my area of expertise). I’ve been following the works of geneticists David Reich and Svante Paabo who recently found that where we ‘westerners’ have 2% Neanderthal DNA in our genome through interbreeding, aborigines have an additional 5% Denisovan DNA as well as 2% Neanderthal. The Denisovans were an extreme climate human sub-species that also contribute a similar 5% to the modern day genome of mountain folk from Tibet and Nepal, Siberians and jungle folk from Papua New Guinea as well as Phillipinos and other S E Asians. The Denisovans made an ocean crossing to get down south 45 thousand years ago (40 thousand before sailing ships were invented), so they’re a bit special.

Hi Again, sorry for going wildly off-topic.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,687
I get a strong feeling that the whole of Oz is in a state of shock at recent bushfire events. Nobody here has ever seen anything like it, and we will be living with the fallout - in every sense - for decades to come.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Northeast Tennessee

2:3:20.jpg

Ride on!

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Took advantage of the break wet weather (Heatwave/Bushfire/Floods. what’s next?) and spent the day tooling around my preferred upper-hunter route. Great riding with an enjoyable lunch stop at Morpeth a little historic village. As as always, brunch at my favourite Café did not disappoint, and with the added bonus of dedicated motorcycle parking spaces right out front.

The run home, of course, had the Putty road and while the road was in good shape but see the bush after the fires and to think about the scale destruction is massive and the loss all the wildlife…

[Took advantage of the break wet weather (Heatwave/Bushfire/Floods. what’s next?) and spent the day tooling around my preferred upper-hunter route. Great a perfect riding with an enjoyable lunch stop at the little historic village of Morpeth. As as always, brunch at my favourite Morpeth Café did disappoint, and with the added bonus of dedicated motorcycle parking spaces right out front.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/836b570f73f7a7ccd665204434242e1b.jpg[/IMG]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/932b8bb257e01a132460d388a772918a.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/0800f56084190ca2c70e9eff27bd4eae.jpg

https://youtu.be/ZhWtHF5N96U

https://youtu.be/loy0wl1tg1c

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
You got me @Panzermann.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ahhh, Arizona in the Winter. I live in the high Desert. Temps in the mid 60's F. Rode to Phoenix from the Prescott area yesterday. Temps in the mid 70's in Phoenix. Had great lunch and a brew at State 48 Lager House in the Scottsdale area on there outside patio. Actually I asked for a table in the shade. Gotta love S. Arizona in the winter.

Rode today to Cottonwood AZ. Another banner day temps in the high 60's F. From Cottonwood over Mingus MTN. Pass from Jerome. "Tail of the Dragon has nothing on Mingus Man Pass!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just completed a 3000 k trip from Brisbane to Canberra and back, going the long way as roads were closed because of fire on the way down and closed due to flooding on the way back. Also I like me a twisty road and went out of the way to find as many as I could.
Loaded to the gunnels with Wifey and her accompanying luggage, in rain and the occasional Google inspired dirt road short cut, my '18 LC continues to impress me.
If ya wanna see the world, buy one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Took LC out for run down to the southern highland and spent a few hours belting up and down Fitzroy Falls-Kangaroo Valley. With a few stops along the way to rehydrate and load up on calories.

First, stop Exeter Post Office Cafe for tea and an apple pear and pecan slice with honey ricotta spread and a pot of tea - Yum!

From there a spent a few hours belting up and down Fitzroy Falls and Kangaroo Valley.

On the return leg, I thought I would stop at Bundanoon for a quick hot drink at one of my favourites. Don’t know what the story but instead of the usual busy biz vibe with people waiting for a table the place had good to the dogs and I was the only customer.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Small video summary of my last post photos.

. https://gopro.com/v/eQ2V2LKBG8r0B Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Did a big loop Blue Mountains-Lithgow-Bylong Valley Way and Putty Road. Managed to crack out 630K plus, and mostly B Robards. After a quick coffee with my wife at our usual local café, I head off to via M4 and up to to the Blue Mountains.

Given the lack of international tourist, and clear sky’s (no bushfire smoke), I wanted to quickly take a quick look-see of Katoomba/Three Sisters viewing platform. When I arrange the place was desired, no bumper to bumper traffic, buses or hordes of camera welding tourist. Just me and a few random-looking sightseers.

Took a few happy snaps and sucked in as much mountain are until I got bored and then head off to hunt down a late breakfast at my go-to Café in Lithgow – The Tin Shed. Okay, I know I’ve said the Woodwork Café has the best Smash Avo, but this place is now my go-to for smashed avo. So good – and the coffee is just as good. Portion size is a little on the small side, but in this case, less is more.

Feeling well satisfied, I headed out of Lithgow and made my way to Castlereagh H’way and passing to turn off to Sofala and causing down to the Bylong Valley Way turnoff. From there navigated a big loop on Bylong ValleyWay and the Putty Road.

·
Super Moderator
R1200R-LC Exclusive, 06/2015, Thunder Grey
4,453 Posts
Nice day out, Mike (while I was fixing render cracks - onto the exterior painting now ...).

I’m puzzled, though - what occurs on beds? 🤔

1681 - 1700 of 1712 Posts