BMW R1200R Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1747 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I once got my left and right hands out of sync while chopping lemon grass, slicing the tip of a finger almost all the way through. Being a DIY kind of guy, and figuring it was too small to stitch, so a medical centre would likely just superglue it together, I did the same. The tip went a bit manky looking after a while but not infected, and good skin grew back underneath. I now struggle to find the scar.

Warning, @sturgeon - flesh tones.
View attachment 107674 View attachment 107675
That's a spot of bad luck there PZ and a double whammy being your nose-picking finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,722
And here I was feeling yesterday was my worst day ever because I got a paper cut clearing a printer jam. Just goes to show there's always some worst off than you.
Do we have an icon for stomach-churning? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I once got my left and right hands out of sync while chopping lemon grass, slicing the tip of a finger almost all the way through. Being a DIY kind of guy, and figuring it was too small to stitch, so a medical centre would likely just superglue it together, I did the same. The tip went a bit manky looking after a while but not infected, and good skin grew back underneath. I now struggle to find the scar.

Warning, @sturgeon - flesh tones.
I see your thumb boo-boo and raise you one snapped tendon ;) Proper staple job, no crazy glue. Yet another moto-related scar ...

Pushing the bounds of browser-imposed appendage image censorship.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As my ID probably suggests, I’m a green woodworker, using axes, knives, spokeshaves etc plus a treadle powered pole lathe to carve and turn products in my workshop most days. Not surprisingly, small cuts are a regular hazard, as the tools are all suitably sharp. Thankfully the only ‘daft’ injury happened whilst putting a sharp felling axe away in an ill-fitting leather mask. It slipped about an inch or two and went half way through my thumb, down to the bone. One swift way to limit both motorcycling and woodworking activities in a single go. You can just see the neat scar left by a very sharp clean axe on a hand made very dry by so much washing and disinfection.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That could be my thumb! Except mine was a likewise very sharp splitting axe, scar between my thumb and forefinger. My sister-in-law, who was about 6 years old at the time, decided it would be funny to shove me just as I brought the axe down on a piece of kindling I was holding. Luckily, I managed somehow to stop it before it did too much damage. Doc that stitched me up said another half millimeter or so would've taken out a tendon, and even further would, well, let's just say I'd be far less in opposition.

Woodworking is a dangerous occupation, or in my case, hobby.

Oh, and your photo got the X-rated treatment from my browser. That's two in the past couple of days, @Panzermann . Either thumbs are not suitable viewing for children, or the AI needs a bit of work :LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You did a great job with the stapler, sturgeon! 👌
I didn’t put em in since I was paralyzed from the waist down (spinal anaesthetic), but I did take out a couple that were driving me crazy. Nurse Ratched was not amused at the hack job I did on the cast.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Well, we’ve well and truly hijacked this thread with flesh tones, so why not continue? 😄

Years ago I was trying to open a plug-pack power supply to convert it from AC to DC. After carefully cutting around the join, I was using my sharpest chisel to prise it open. Getting a bit weary of the job, my judgement strayed (even further) and I twisted even harder.

Of course the inevitable happened and the chisel slipped, slicing my palm from near my middle finger through the fleshy lower part to where indicated by the pen. The doctor who stitched me up could see all the tendons moving back and forth as I moved my fingers - talk about a precise incision!

Some time later I noticed a small blood spatter on the ceiling from when I had instinctively grabbed my wounded hand with the other. I left that spatter there as a reminder not to do stupid things in the garage.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,731
Reading your palm, Pz, I see a long life: or at least it will seem like it...

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
That's not scar, PZ - this is a scar and not done playing DYI. This is a moto acquired scar ..

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Reading your palm, Pz, I see a long life: or at least it will seem like it...
With the number of cuts I have inflicted on myself, one might question that prediction, Lawrence. I will spare you the image of my left ring finger after I supported an electric planer with that hand – before it had stopped spinning. A momentary puff of red from the waste chute ensued.

The Z-shape in the scar might be deceiving you. That was the work of a plastic surgeon a year or so after the event, to ease the tightness.I think the surgeon's name was Zorro.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
That's not scar, PZ - this is a scar and not done playing DYI. This is a moto acquired scar ..
You don't get away with posting that without a story, Mike. And this theme started as DIY surgical repair, so don't spare us the details of stitching it up by the roadside with some fencing wire and pliers.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Went for a 450K loop today. So good to get out and rediscover some of my favourite Southern Highlands & Fitzroy Falls. I was looking forward to a quick snack at my go-to cafe, however only take away. Still enjoyed a nice little apple & pear slice and coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Went for a 450K loop today. So good to get out and rediscover some of my favourite Southern Highlands & Fitzroy Falls. I was looking forward to a quick snack at my go-to cafe, however only take away. Still enjoyed a nice little apple & pear slice and coffee.
Nice cup-holder! But a bit hard to reach when you're riding, I imagine :)

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Works well but it doesn't give that satisfying click when locking the cup in.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,740 (Edited)
Iconic image of the times. 👌
Indeed - well put, Pz. "Where have all the people gone...?"

I showed this pic to my wife, and she commented - supporting what you said - that it is a never-to-be-repeated pic (or at least one hopes so).

1721 - 1740 of 1747 Posts