BMW R1200R Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1833 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,801
Your perception was dulled, Pz, by the sight of that red F800 ? in the photo! Lump-in-throat time.;)

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I decided to stack a heap of things in my garage and move the spit roaster out onto my deck so I could fit the R in my garage next to the car. Mission accomplished, the R is now home rather than in my father-in-laws shed. Purchased a temporary registration permit so I could give it a bit of a run to the servo in preparation for finally changing the rego from ACT to Vic. Of course, because I let the ACT rego lapse just over 12 months ago I now have to take it to get a roadworthy check done. Took it for a quick lap along the river to give it a blast and lubricate everything (I'm sure that is covered under the conditions of the temporary permit :unsure:). After riding the TW200 for the past year I'll had to get used to the height, weight and incredible stopping power of the R. No more squeezing the drum brakes on the TW and vaguely stopping somewhere near where I wanted to.

·
Registered
205 Posts
PZ, I think it may be 'a millennial thing' whereby the author (not to mention the proof-reader, assuming there even was one) missed / completely misunderstood their school lesson on how the '>' (greater than) and '<' (less than) symbols are supposed to work. Sheesh, even Google gets it right.
I very much hope the idjits creating this legislation also go to ENORMOUS expense to put up road signs with exactly that symbol on it all the way down the route. Then they will stand back totally confused about the reason for the sudden HUGE increase in the noise coming from the bikes that apparently MUST be ridden by leches and lechtals (young leches in training ?). Sure to make for some interesting court cases, love to be a fly on the wall there...

(seems similar in theme to that totally inept Jobkeeper form that employers filled out incorrectly, causing ENORMOUS overestimates (in billions of AU$) of how much the 'Shtray'yan Gubbermint needed to spend during COVID)

Sorry for thread hijack, now back to normal transmission...

·
Registered
42 Posts
PZ, I think it may be 'a millennial thing' whereby the author (not to mention the proof-reader, assuming there even was one) missed / completely misunderstood their school lesson on how the '>' (greater than) and '<' (less than) symbols are supposed to work. Sheesh, even Google gets it right.
I very much hope the idjits creating this legislation also go to ENORMOUS expense to put up road signs with exactly that symbol on it all the way down the route. Then they will stand back totally confused about the reason for the sudden HUGE increase in the noise coming from the bikes that apparently MUST be ridden by leches and lechtals (young leches in training ?). Sure to make for some interesting court cases, love to be a fly on the wall there...
Maybe I'm missing the irony here, but in Europe, this sign says "Motorcycles not allowed" (symbol in a red ring) and further "if noise level is greater than 95 dB(A)". Interesting that the greater than sign is actually turned into a less than sign on the other side of the globe.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
In other parts of the world (like mine), the Not Allowed symbol is a red ring with a red diagonal slash through it. Not everything is universal, although I'm pretty sure that < and > are.

e.g.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And just one more from this nonsensical situation, the intent is that only motorcycles with loud exhausts are 'verboten'.
If true, then it stands to reason any other vehicle on this route that is NOT a motorcycle AND it has a loud exhaust travels with impunity...?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
And just one more from this nonsensical situation, the intent is that only motorcycles with loud exhausts are 'verboten'.
If true, then it stands to reason any other vehicle on this route that is NOT a motorcycle AND it has a loud exhaust travels with impunity...?
Let me know how that goes in court 🤣🤣

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm with Sturgeon on this one.

Ergo, if this sign (from an autobahn in Germany), means 130 kph is fine...

then surely this sign means motorcycles with >95 db (A) are OK?

BUT, if there was a '<' (less than) symbol, OR a red 45-degree line through the motorcycle, then IMHO that would make the intent of this nonsensical law clearer and much less open to interpretation.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,811
I must get to Germany with my bike to check these out...

It's passing strange though that the (now-open) Pacific Highway heading north from NSW into Queensland has as its first very prominent sign at the border "Penalty for keeping rabbits $44,000"!

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
means 130 kph is fine..
It might be like when your wife says, ‘Fine, do what you like’ - which we all know means exactly the opposite.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,815
That's AUD$912!! I'm not going now!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,818
And being ridden by the invisible man...!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I rode the GS to work! It's about a 90 mile commute in SE La heat, but it was the first day I was back at work since mid March when I was "furloughed" because of covid and my age; they claimed they wanted to keep me alive. Work was great seeing all the peeps, The patients were nice, and the ride was soothing to the soul. And, best of all, we didn't kill anyone!:ROFLMAO:

1801 - 1820 of 1833 Posts