BMW R1200R Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1936 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah thanks Steffan - wonderful. I wonder if he is the same genius behind BMW's appalling self cancelling indicators.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So, another wee day out on the bike. Left ma wee toon in North Ayrshire just before nine in the morning after a decent breakfast that I hoped would keep me going for most of the day. Headed up past Loch Lomond, traffic wasn't too bad, but another hour or so and no doubt it will be at a 20mph crawl. Filled up with fuel and hopped on the Ferry at Corran. Stopped for a breather at Strontian, then headed on towards Salen and worked my way along some appauling single track roads all the way to Sanna. I must have done about 70 miles on single track roads, some of them crawling along in second gear for mile after mile.

I'm still hunting for phone boxes, and yeah I managed to find another 9. The one at Sanna is stunning, well the general location of the phone box is, the box itself is poor condition. As is often the case, getting a good snap of it was tricky, Sanna is a popular beauty spot despite its remoteness, and cars were parked right up against my subject.

However just as stunning, if not more, was the box at Kilmory, which I assume the local community has adopted as it is in very good condition. I also stopped to take a snap of the Beemer just up the road from there.

I headed back to Salen, took the A861 heading towards the road to the isles. Stopped for fuel in Fort William. I headed done to Connel, then Inverarey. I'd hoped to get a fish super here, but time was moving on and the queue outside the chippy was too long.

I got down to Dunoon at 21.15, and noticed one of the ferries was tying up for the night. I think Covid might have mucked up the timetable and I had to wait till ten for the next ferry.

At least I got to try out the R1250R's headlamp in anger for the first time. Yes, it is a disappointment - I wouldn't like too ride far at night on this bike.

Got back home at 22.45 375 miles - I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew, but an enjoyable day out all the same.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Put 270 miles on Sybil today, taking a couple of recently licensed riders on a quiet mountain tour. Headed up PCH to Ventura, 33 to Ojai for lunch. Then up 33 to Lockwood Valley, and across to Lebec before hitting the 5 and 405 freeways home. Took a couple hours longer than I expected, as my "leading new riders" pace seemed much to fast for them. Oh well, it was still a nice ride, seat is comfy. Range of temperature was from upper 60's f along the Pacic Coast to mid 90's in the valley. No picts today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did my first off-road ride! It was fun and scary. We've found a 30km track at around 2000m altitude in Rila mountain which is easy enough for a first timers like me and for a bikes with street tires. It was mostly gravel well rolled although there was some rocky or muddy places. At the end about 4 km before we reach asphalt again we were caught by heavy rain and since I forgot my rainsuit I've got soaked. Luckily we've found a hut with working kitchen so we had several hot sups to warm up and dry a bit so we can reach lower and hotter places.

This is 360 degrees panorama New photo by Momchil Kinov of the place where Mesta river springs.

Speaking of tires it seems only Continental TKC-70 and TKC-80 have sizes for our bikes but they are expensive and do not last long. What I red is about 5-6000 km which is too low for such pricey tires.

Cheers,
Momchil

·
Registered
134 Posts
@momchilk - Shinko has 2 series of tires in our sizes, although EU availability is unknown to me. Look for Shinko 705, and Shinko 804/805 series. The 705 is dual-sport, the 804/805 is more off-road.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@momchilk - Shinko has 2 series of tires in our sizes, although EU availability is unknown to me. Look for Shinko 705, and Shinko 804/805 series. The 705 is dual-sport, the 804/805 is more off-road.

Thank you @r0ckrat but from links you provide I can find only front tire size (120/70R17) suitable for me from 705 series. Can't find anyting for rear tire (180/55R17).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you @r0ckrat but from links you provide I can find only front tire size (120/70R17) suitable for me from 705 series. Can't find anyting for rear tire (180/55R17).
170/60 would fit according to Shinko's chart (5.5" rim width)... But would not be a "BMW approved" size...

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
What a spectacular ride, @momchilk ! There's a little bit of GS in every Roadster ...

Reactions: momchilk

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Avon TrailRider
Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Conti Trail Attack
Pirelli MT60 RS
Metzeler Karoo Street (my personal favourite)
Metzeler Tourance Next
Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,892
Eating warm Belgian Waffles with real Maple Syrup and all the trimmings, in Palm Cove, tropical Far North Queensland: this one's for mikeS. The 'YAK' ale was actually a fine orange juice.

·
2,625 Posts
Eating warm Belgian Waffles with real Maple Syrup and all the trimmings, in Palm Cove, tropical Far North Queensland: this one's for mikeS. The 'YAK' ale was actually a fine orange juice.

View attachment 108636
I got so excited at the sight of the Belgian Waffles I almost passed out.... Perfect, Los.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
I went for a scoot about town this afternoon in my Blood Bikes Australia volunteers rig.

Notwithstanding that in Canberra we haven’t yet formalised support arrangements with health service providers, the national BBA organiser encouraged volunteers get out to help raise awareness of International Blood Bikes Day. It‘s a ‘national day’ in UK, but our organiser, Peter, decided to adopt the day and make it ‘international’. Peter set BBA up as a retirement project, having an acquaintance involved in the UK Blood Bikes.

The service is modelled loosely on the UK Blood Bikers but less formalised. We are simply a collection of volunteers, with no hierarchy or committee of management, who operate under a common code and under arrangements organised centrally with each supported health care provider. The intent is to provide surge capacity rather than be integrated into daily operations so that there’s no suggestion we’re doing anyone out of a job.

We use our own bikes, cover our own operating costs, and provide our own vests and carry case. Tasks range across carrying blood, pathology samples (including COVID-19 tests), pharmaceuticals, breast milk and medical documentation.

The only complication is that some insurers, like mine (QBE), refuse coverage if the bike is used for courier services. I put the case to them that this exclusion should be constrained to commercial courier services rather than philanthropic activity on the basis that:
  • We sign up to be courteous to other road users and obey all road rules when on task
  • We are under no time pressure, either by the service provider or self imposed (such as getting to the next Uber Eats delivery to make more money)
  • We wear hiviz vests (which I’d not normally wear)
  • Our cargo is precious so we are mindful of being extra cautious when on task
All this fell on deaf ears, so I’m changing my insurer (which I advised them I would do if they wouldn’t provide cover). Their explanation after ‘lengthy and deep consideration’ was that they’ve never covered courier services and that’s what the PDS says. 🙄

Looking forward to my first task.

·
2,625 Posts
I went for a scoot about town this afternoon in my Blood Bikes Australia volunteers rig.

Notwithstanding that in Canberra we haven’t yet formalised support arrangements with health service providers, the national BBA organiser encouraged volunteers get out to help raise awareness of International Blood Bikes Day. It‘s a ‘national day’ in UK, but our organiser, Peter, decided to adopt the day and make it ‘international’. Peter set BBA up as a retirement project, having an acquaintance involved in the UK Blood Bikes.

The service is modelled loosely on the UK Blood Bikers but less formalised. We are simply a collection of volunteers, with no hierarchy or committee of management, who operate under a common code and under arrangements organised centrally with each supported health care provider. The intent is to provide surge capacity rather than be integrated into daily operations so that there’s no suggestion we’re doing anyone out of a job.

We use our own bikes, cover our own operating costs, and provide our own vests and carry case. Tasks range across carrying blood, pathology samples (including COVID-19 tests), pharmaceuticals, breast milk and medical documentation.

The only complication is that some insurers, like mine (QBE), refuse coverage if the bike is used for courier services. I put the case to them that this exclusion should be constrained to commercial courier services rather than philanthropic activity on the basis that:
  • We sign up to be courteous to other road users and obey all road rules when on task
  • We are under no time pressure, either by the service provider or self imposed (such as getting to the next Uber Eats delivery to make more money)
  • We wear hiviz vests (which I’d not normally wear)
  • Our cargo is precious so we are mindful of being extra cautious when on task
All this fell on deaf ears, so I’m changing my insurer (which I advised them I would do if they wouldn’t provide cover). Their explanation after ‘lengthy and deep consideration’ was that they’ve never covered courier services and that’s what the PDS says.

Looking forward to my first task. View attachment 108652
Hang about PZ, when did the SC aftermarket CAN appear on the your thunder grey schwanzstucker?

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
You clearly haven’t been paying attention, @mikeS - wasserboxer offered a deal I couldn’t refuse about three weeks ago. Always happy to help out a fellow forum member. 😉

You were probably up to your armpits in EOFY numbers and returns.

·
2,625 Posts

·
2,625 Posts
You clearly haven’t been paying attention, @mikeS - wasserboxer offered a deal I couldn’t refuse about three weeks ago. Always happy to help out a fellow forum member.

You were probably up to your armpits in EOFY numbers and returns.
EOFY, yes I remember that week...

Reactions: Panzermann
1881 - 1900 of 1936 Posts