BMW R1200R Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1936 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went for a scoot about town this afternoon in my Blood Bikes Australia volunteers rig.

Notwithstanding that in Canberra we haven’t yet formalised support arrangements with health service providers, the national BBA organiser encouraged volunteers get out to help raise awareness of International Blood Bikes Day. It‘s a ‘national day’ in UK, but our organiser, Peter, decided to adopt the day and make it ‘international’. Peter set BBA up as a retirement project, having an acquaintance involved in the UK Blood Bikes.

The service is modelled loosely on the UK Blood Bikers but less formalised. We are simply a collection of volunteers, with no hierarchy or committee of management, who operate under a common code and under arrangements organised centrally with each supported health care provider. The intent is to provide surge capacity rather than be integrated into daily operations so that there’s no suggestion we’re doing anyone out of a job.

We use our own bikes, cover our own operating costs, and provide our own vests and carry case. Tasks range across carrying blood, pathology samples (including COVID-19 tests), pharmaceuticals, breast milk and medical documentation.

The only complication is that some insurers, like mine (QBE), refuse coverage if the bike is used for courier services. I put the case to them that this exclusion should be constrained to commercial courier services rather than philanthropic activity on the basis that:
  • We sign up to be courteous to other road users and obey all road rules when on task
  • We are under no time pressure, either by the service provider or self imposed (such as getting to the next Uber Eats delivery to make more money)
  • We wear hiviz vests (which I’d not normally wear)
  • Our cargo is precious so we are mindful of being extra cautious when on task
All this fell on deaf ears, so I’m changing my insurer (which I advised them I would do if they wouldn’t provide cover). Their explanation after ‘lengthy and deep consideration’ was that they’ve never covered courier services and that’s what the PDS says. 🙄

Looking forward to my first task. View attachment 108652
Awesome, I really hope it gets accepted fully and gathers the support it deserves. As an advanced paramedic practitioner in the UK, we truly value the service provided by the blood bikers. I hope you manage to find an insurance provider that will cover you and eventually gain enough support hat you no longer have to provide your own bike. good luck.

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's been unusally warm here on the west coast of Scotland. Temperatures have been peaking at over 25 degrees C, and the humidity is intolerable. I'm not made for this.

Anyway a wee look at the weather forecast on Friday evening suggested it might be as much as 10 degrees C cooler on the east coast during Saturday.

So yesterday I headed east. Took the M8 to Edinburgh, then the A720 city bypass, onto the A1 before pulling off and following the coast road towards North Berwick and Dunbar, whilst sneaking about seeing if I could find more old phone boxes, of which I managed a dozen. And yes it proved to be refreshingly cool on the east coast.

Pleased that the bike has proved to economical, often running between 55 and 60 mpg according to the onboard computer. So despite the smallish 18ltr tank, I can squeeze 200 miles between fill ups.

On the way back I picked up the A702, to break up the motorway sections and take me through Biggar where there is a decent chippie. Then over to Abington, up the M74, home and sadly back to the heat.

Dunbar,

The bike parked up in Dunbar,

Athelstaneford community library,

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
I popped out on the Roadster this morning to pick up some specialty cupcakes to celebrate the Panzerfrau’s geburtstag. I’ve done it successfully before but my face dropped and blood drained away when I opened the box at home.

This is them after refurbishing as best I could - they should look a bit like the two at top right. All the kings horses and all that ...

Fortunately the love of my life is very forgiving and after a stiff brandy, circulation is now restored.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,904
I popped out on the Roadster this morning to pick up some specialty cupcakes to celebrate the Panzerfrau’s geburtstag. I’ve done it successfully before but my face dropped and blood drained away from my face when I opened the box at home.

This is them after refurbishing as best I could - they should look a bit like the two at top right. All the kings horses and all that ...

Fortunately the love of my life is very forgiving and after a stiff brandy, circulation is now restored.
MikeS will take 'em off your hands, Pz, at a steep discount - unless the doggies get to them first!

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I popped out on the Roadster this morning to pick up some specialty cupcakes to celebrate the Panzerfrau’s geburtstag. I’ve done it successfully before but my face dropped and blood drained away when I opened the box at home.

View attachment 108723
Next year, bring your own cupcake baking pan to carry 'em home in. Better for those circulation issues!

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
bring your own cupcake baking pan to carry 'em home in
That thought did occur to me sturgeon - after the event ... I might do a test run with some un-iced muffins from home.

Anyway, they still looked good with candles, and tasted as they should. Something to laugh about.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
2,625 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Too late, @mikeS. They were delicious.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
26 Posts
This Rona crap is a real pain. I am still getting paid but work is very very slow. Heck I should be happy I got a job unlike some.
Took the R for a run to the post office Friday. I took the extra long way. It was nice. We took the C650 Sport out tonight to watch UFC. Tomorrow we take the Q50.to church and Monday I take the Company Nav. To go drive my CFO's S class since he is at his primary residence. It is a tough job but someone has got to do it and they pay me well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts

View attachment 108723
There is a place in Dallas and Vegas we go to called Sprinkles. Cupcakes are delicious and they have a cupcake ATM. Wife loves when I come home with a Sprinkles box.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Put 256 miles on my R today, created a relive video for it.

Bunch of back roads to Wrightwood, then back in a loop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Very cool way of sharing, @r0ckrat ! Some nice wriggly bits there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Went north to see my daughter, who’s attending college about 90 minutes - two hours north of me. First long highway trip I’ve taken with this new bike. Nice trip, but unlike my previous bike — a FJR with large fairing and touring windshield — one certainly has to just make peace with the wind, and embrace it as part of the experience of a naked bike. Once you just accept that concept and understand the wind’s supposed to be there on a naked, it’s almost less bothersome than the small gusts and buffeting that would inevitably get through the wind protection on the FJR when they generally weren’t supposed to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A few relevant stats from the weekend ride:
  • Ride distance: 252 miles, 405 km
  • Top speed: 142 mph, 229 kph
  • Max elevation: 7769 feet, 2368 meters (Starting elevation roughly 80 feet/24 meters)
Scrubbed peg feelers a teeny bit on both sides (one touchdown each).

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Top speed: 142 mph, 229 kp
That’s some serious velocity for a naked bike (under controlled conditions, with a professional rider, do not try this at home, etc, etc 😉).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have discovered that up to about 120mph a windscreen is not necessary. Beyond that things start to get uncomfortable. At 142 (actual, indicated was higher) the helmet is smashed up against your face, and you are hanging on for dear life with your chin on the tank/tankbag... But the bike is perfectly stable.

·
2,625 Posts
Perfect spring morning and thought it was time to take LC out for a run. Over the last month, I’ve spent way too much time on the CUB and CB650. I’m so glad I did on such a perfect day. Having spent a month or so off the LC riding out of the driveway, it felt lie a land barge. However, it only took a few clicks to get back into the zone and at one with LC. Wow, what a machine!

From my home base, I headed up toward the upper Hunter Valley, avoiding as much as possible motorway routes. Perfect day to enjoy the all the Putty Road twisties and fast straights although lots of HWP bikes are hunting for unsuspect riders. At the end of the Putty road at Singleton headed off to the historic village of Morphet NSW.
When in town I always make a point at least a coffee at my go-to cafe: https://m.facebook.com/cafemorpeth/
I decided on a salad from lunch, and as always, this place never disappoints. The cage was all out of pulled-pork, so I had to settle on halloumi as a substitute.

Couldn't decide what route to take for my return leg, so I set the Navigator to Curvey Roads, and avoidance unsealed roads and motorways. I found some of the route preferences on the Navigator enjoyable, particularly on the return leg is a ride with no real importance or should I say - no clue which way to head home other than avoiding motorways/major roads. A great day out and managed to punch out 540km.

Navigator route had me weaving in and out some of the most interesting and enjoyable B roads must which I hadn't ridden before.

Putty road twisties 10k south of the Broke turn-off. RIDE TO LIVE

Another upper hunter long reach of B roads new to me and will put on my route presence next time.
Oh, I forgot to take a photo of the bike on the ride except for this one on the one I took at Olivers Wyong South-bound carpark. Yes, it's a very uninspiringly framed image with inadequate exposure and in a carpark, but I it's had to and pix of LC - this bike is about as good as it gets... IMHO - Perfect! No picture of the chocolate brownie and cappuccino.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like a luvverly day for a ride MikeS, tks for sharing. Looking fwd to getting out on mine again one day soon.

1901 - 1920 of 1936 Posts