1921 - 1936 of 1936 Posts

·
2,625 Posts
Thanks, HG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Nowhere specific geographically, but almost over the bonnet of an older Mercedes.

Not long after heading off, my mind was still on something else. I was on the inside lane flicking through a two-lane roundabout when the Merc in the outer lane suddenly cut across my path to turn, rather than proceed straight through (which was the legal path).

It was the middle of a weekday, when the codgers are out in Canberra, committing random acts of driving.

I was disappointed for allowing myself to be lulled into that situation, but it’s gone into the experience bank and I live to ride another day.

Reactions: mikeS and r0ckrat

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,923
The Merc must have spotted a fellow Deutschlander and decided on a not-too-wise interception for a chat, a schooner of Lowenbrau, and a snack of bratwurst. Talkin' o' which, Pz, it could've been wurst! 😢 But glad it's not!

·
Registered
134 Posts
LoS, that was a lot of work to go through for a pun...
I approve.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
268 Posts
So pleased you survived a close call to live and ride another day Pz. As you observed, it is so easy to become complacent and let your mind drift and mull over non-riding related matters, esp. when in familiar surroundings and not far from home - which statistics say is where most accidents occur. It is so important to deliberately put all other 'life stuff' aside as you mount up and get, and most importantly keep, yourself thoroughly mentally engaged in the task of riding, constantly playing the 'what if that vehicle does x and what's my exit strategy?' scenarios. After all, being able to put your 'life stuff' aside for a time and be totally engaged and focused in the motorcycling moment is half the fun. And it may just save your life...

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
keep yourself thoroughly mentally engaged in the task of riding
Indeed Herdy. Kate says I’m a better rider than driver, as that’s my normal modus operandi on the bike. In the car with her, there are too many distractions - conversation, music/radio etc, and the subconscious complacency that comes from knowing you have protection and crumple zones around you.

I’d normally have spotted the risk - type of car, low digit number plate, older driver, quiet roads and time of day. In Canberra, the old codgers come out in the middle of the day during the week to commit random driving acts - roundabouts are a particular risk in this respect, with indicators in no way giving a hint as to which way the driver will go.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,928
Hey, you guys - geddoff the backs of we older drivers! But to endorse Mercedes-munching Pz's comment - I am quite sure that my riding skills (or practices: not necessarily the same thing) are better than my car-driving exploits

·
2,625 Posts
Brilliant Spring morning and too good to not be out on LC. I’ve wanted to cruise Bylong Valley Way again for some time now and today was the day. My route had me covering a far few km, so I got way 6:30 AM with first stop Coffee with my wife at our local cafe’. Of course, I need a little snack to set myself up for the morning ride.

After coffee headed off from my Sydney inner west stomping ground, head up the M4 and up to the Blue Mountains and pealing off at Lithgow onto Castlereagh H’Way on route to my lunch stop the tidy historic town Gulgong.
Apart from the morning being a bit colder with some fog, I had a dream run and most enjoyable with hardly any traffic.

Arrived at Gulgong and was surprised to see how many people were out and about. Although most seed like locals and only a few bikes on the main strip.

After a short stroll around a few of the main streets, it was time for the serious of lunch. I decided to try my luck with Cafe’ called the Butcher Shop. I must say I struck it lucky. All the usual things on the menu, but what caught my eye was the salad sandwich - I was not disappointed it was a classic Aussie cheese and salad with the mandatory can beetroot. So good and the coffee was just as good. I was well pleased and highly recommend this little place.

After lunch and my little town look-see, it was time to ride one of the top 10 NSW rides - The Baylong Vally Way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With only 50 km and instead of a blast down the M1, I opted to blast up the Old Pacific H’Way. I usually avoid this route because it's so heavily patrolled and all the leather-clad Rossi wannabes. As it turns out, I had the road pretty much to myself.
All up a great day and I managed to cover just over 700km.

·
2,625 Posts
Ah, @Mint - I thought the sight of that delicious looking salad sandwich would grab your attention.

Reactions: Mint

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,931
A decent day's outing, mikeS, with nice pix. What camera do you use, if I may? Christmas is on its way, and Mrs S is already seeking ideas for gifts...

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Today I took the R up a winding road through the state forest I new had just been repaved. Mostly roads here are potholed frost heaved nightmares or heavily traveled. So this is a real gem now. Took an alternate route home and found a second repaved road on the other side of the forest. I found a new playground on the edge of my home town.

This is what I will be thankful for this holiday season.

·
2,625 Posts
A decent day's outing, mikeS, with nice pix. What camera do you use, if I may? Christmas is on its way, and Mrs S is already seeking ideas for gifts...
Thanks, LOS. I've got more camera kit than I care to mention, but these days for point n’ shoot my iPhone 11 Pro does a good job. It's never going to compete with a DSLR or compact digital, but most of my happy snaps it works for me. For on bike Pix GoPro’s performs well.

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Today I enjoyed a Robertson Pie Run with Defence Riders Group members Peter and John, although John left us after an hour or so due to a chronic case of over-farkling his 1250RS (leaking aftermarket alloy oil filler cap). 🤦🏻‍♂️ It was a short notice event, only advertised late last night, so rather than wake @mikeS from his well-needed beauty sleep, I messaged him this morning. Unfortunately he had a bad case of improper priorities and couldn't attend. Perhaps next time I'll send a formal written notification to SWMBO two weeks in advance so Mike can get a leave pass from secondary family responsibilities.

Peter's very tidy R75/5 Toaster looked the epitome of the relaxed trad Boxer, happy to cruise at speed, but nimble through the twisties. Peter looked comfortable with a knee angle of around 110⁰. One wonders how far we have come in 35 years in terms of basic motorcycling fun on real roads. The Toaster was happy to cruise at 125 km/h, which in Oz is 25% over the non-freeway limit. It didn't have huge punch out of corners, and overtaking had to be planned, but Peter was having fun.

A little rain didn't deter us. Peter went fully retro, refusing my offer of a spare pair of rain pants, accepting the dampness we all experienced back in the 70's, whether we liked it or not. The pie shop was a very popular place, with every manner of sports bike and streetfighter having made the run up Macquarie Pass, along with a smattering of everything else.

I arrived home a little chilled (overcast and temps between 15⁰ and 17⁰C) and rather weary after only 440 km. I wondered how I used to do day-runs to/from Adelaide at almost three times the distance, only a couple years ago. Lack of match fitness it seems – must get out more ...

·
2,625 Posts
Hey LOS, if you thinking about a new camera have a look at the Sony RX100 range - I have the VI. The big issue you will find using an iPhone during bright sunny days it’s hard to see the screen and making framing a shot - hit n’ miss. For trips where I intend to take lots pix like trips like MotoGP/WSBK, I take along the SONY. It has a touch screen, seperate view finder, telephone zoom (200mm) and also take great quality video. I have a couple of Fuji DSLRs with lots of lenses, but these days my go-to camera is the SONY. It’s compact form factor makes it so easy to pack for holidays or on the bike. Also, it’s compact enough to slip into trouser pocket.

Reactions: momchilk

·
2,625 Posts
Yesterday morning wasn’t the ideal riding weather - cloudy, misty light rain, and a bit on the cloudy side and not the best condition to bed in a new front Tyre.

I was going to pass but I wanted to see if my new headers would be going to be too loud to live with. I have been a bit undecided as I was if my new Akrapovic full system would be a little too loud.

My ad hoc route was to make a big loop around the Southern Highland return to my home base in the inner west. Of course, first up with my wife at our regular cafe (no food pix).

After a relaxing 20 minutes having my ear chewed by the wife about not being late home for dinner. I sent off with for the days ride with a very green front tyre top of mind. First, stop Exeter Post Office cafe for a pot of tea and a slice of my favourite Pecan & Apple bread - Yum!

After kicking back for 15 mins or so it was time to get into some Fitzroy Falls twisties and down to Kangaroo Valley. Thoughts of my green front tyre were long gone.
I never get bored riding this tight little stretch. I didn’t bother to stop for a walk around at the village as my wife’s words were still ringing in my ear.

Seeing I was fair close by, I thought I would stop at the HARS Aviation Musuem, Kiama blowhole and MotoLife Museum. Yes, I lot to see and I need to stay focus and lose track of time ... don’t be late home.
A few pix of my whirlwind vistits.

All up it took about an 90 mins to do all three. But first a quick lunch.

The plan was to head back home via very tight up hill run of Jamberoo Mountain road. However, halfway up, I got turned around due to a road closure up the head. I was dispointed, but all was not lost (twisties), I made a beeline Macquarie Pass.

With my front tyre well and truly sorted it was time to have some fun flicking LC up those tasty tight twisties. Very lite traffic but 3/4 of the way, I ran into some very heavy fog which was unexpected.
A few pix from Fitzroy Falls & Maquarie Pass twisties:

A most enoyable day out, and after 550Km I am keeping the Akropovic headers on. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I made it home in time and avoided the painful cold shoulder treatment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1921 - 1936 of 1936 Posts