BMW R1200R Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 1979 Posts

·
2,685 Posts
In my experience (mainly anecdotal) HWP are more likely to be quota-driven, Mike. I think because of his role as a crash investigator, Constable CRASH2 has become a zealot, and believes implicitly in his assessment of other road users. Country town coppers are more likely to cut you some slack (again, from my experience ... ).

Yeah - that demerit point is narking me.
Yeah, it makes sense, PZ about CRASH2. Agree on HWP city Vs country cops. I've had quite a few out on regional roads where I was a few clicks over an oncoming HWP flashed their high beam without stopping. Different story if they are manning a speed trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bummer you got pinged Pz, I feel your pain Sir, esp. as you were soon to have one of your licence points moved out of ICU. Sounds like CC2 was a bit over-zealous. Like, jeez Wayne, it's not as if you were WFO on a Hardley Ableson with drag pipes waking all the slumbering retirees performing 'random acts of steering' in their Toyota 'Yari' (plural of Yaris) or their Honda 'Jazziz' , lugging their, er, 'Thermi', tea bags, packs of chocolate digestives, rugs & walking frames to the next available park...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well technically it was yesterday but took the R out to the TX HD Bikini contest. She was very nice btw and obviously the clear winner out of 7 others

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Hmm, there’s something very fake going on there. Perhaps it’s the seat cover? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Short 4-day jaunt through the local countryside, just to get away from the unceasing mayhem in the city.

Didn't get far before hunger set in ...

A bit spooky after the fog rolled in off the lake ...

Unexpected visitor the next day ....

Not quite so foggy (at least not the weather) ...

No pics of the hellacious thunderstorm we rode through one day. As they often do here, it came across the lake out of nowhere and was on us before we knew it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I popped out on the Roadster this morning to pick up some specialty cupcakes to celebrate the Panzerfrau’s geburtstag. I’ve done it successfully before but my face dropped and blood drained away when I opened the box at home.

This is them after refurbishing as best I could - they should look a bit like the two at top right. All the kings horses and all that ...

Fortunately the love of my life is very forgiving and after a stiff brandy, circulation is now restored.

View attachment 108723

Well, 2 out of 8 isn't a total loss. Give her the "TV Cupcakes" and eat the others by yourself in your favorite private spot.

·
2,685 Posts
Looks like an enjoyable four-day getaway, M8. Nice pix but from a selfish punt of view, the first food photo of Corona & a crispy battered plate of hunger-busting treats was a bit too hard to look at. Today is a fasting day, and that didn't help my mood. I can smell that deep-fried goodness from here... Yum! Oh, I hope that wasn't a share plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got out for a 3 day blast north of Sydney last week. Was nice to get away before the school holiday traffic.

Route planning was a mix of ‘The Bear’ recommendations as well as putting trust in the BMW Connected app twisty road setting.

Day1 up via Putty, Scone, Nundle, Walcha, Uralla and stayed in the Top Pub which was great for accom and food.

Day2 was a loop out to the coast and back to Walcha via the Oxley. I forgot how good this road is.

Day3 returned home via Thunderbolts, Wollombi and the Old Road which was empty being mid week.

Now back to reality until next trip.

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
I'm looking forward to a loop up that way in November, @daaef – some great roads I've never done (only seen @mikeS's videos and some photos)

Reactions: daaef and mikeS

·
2,685 Posts
Nowhere today but managed to get out on LC yesterday. I had planned to head up to the up Hunter Valley, but on second thought with school holiday traffic and lots of HWP on the road decided to head south instead. I also wanted to test out the GoPro mount modification that would hopefully rectify some the annoying vibration video artifacts. I wanted to compare the data ride video with last Saturdays video. So back to Macquarie Pass & Fitzroy Falls twisties. I left a little later an I wanted but still managed to knock out 470km on mostly back roads.

From my Sydney inner west base, I travelled down to the southern highlands with my first stop in Thirlmere - Off the Rails cafe. Unfortunately, yesterday was a fasting day, so no tasty little treats. However, I couldn't go without coffee. This is a great little stop for coffee, a snack, and just kicking back in the Rustic Courtyard.

Just coffee... Not a happy camper

After coffee, oh, did I mention nothing to eat? From there it was time to cruise down to Fitzroy Fall and those twisties. Just before the steep decline into Kangaroo Valley, I stopped off the little garage/fast food joint to check my GoPro. I also checked out the little oldwares next door.

Kangaroo Valley - Pitstop.

From there I spent the next few hours up and down Macquarie Pass & the Falls twisties. Did I mention no lunch...
Here’s a small youtube clip of LC amongst the twisties.

·
2,685 Posts
Got out for a 3 day blast north of Sydney last week. Was nice to get away before the school holiday traffic.

Route planning was a mix of ‘The Bear’ recommendations as well as putting trust in the BMW Connected app twisty road setting.

Day1 up via Putty, Scone, Nundle, Walcha, Uralla and stayed in the Top Pub which was great for accom and food.

Day2 was a loop out to the coast and back to Walcha via the Oxley. I forgot how good this road is.

Day3 returned home via Thunderbolts, Wollombi and the Old Road which was empty being mid week.

Now back to reality until next trip.

Thunderbolts, the Oxley & Waterfall Way... It doesn't get any better. Nice ride and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: daaef

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Looks like you've cracked the perfect GoPro mount, @mikeS – no vibration and great POV. 👌

Reactions: r0ckrat and mikeS

·
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Looks like an enjoyable four-day getaway, M8. Nice pix but from a selfish punt of view, the first food photo of Corona & a crispy battered plate of hunger-busting treats was a bit too hard to look at. Today is a fasting day, and that didn't help my mood. I can smell that deep-fried goodness from here... Yum! Oh, I hope that wasn't a share plate.
Nope, I was by myself. Distancing and all that. My riding pal with the 800gs didn't arrive until the next day. '2-piece' fresh-caught lake perch and chips with a side salad. Turns out that 2-piece really means 6 pieces in this case. I have a summer place about 20 km south of this town pub and am a frequent visitor. It's a bit jarring to see a once-lively place on the lake with only a half dozen tables in use. I hope they can make it. Fish is my favourite food, next to beer, and local asparagus in the spring. Other than salmon, lake perch is my favourite fish. When it's fresh and local, it's a treat.

Sorry to disrupt your fast with my feast. My idea of a fast is having only an apple for lunch on a weekend when I've eaten too much bacon and eggs and pancakes and butter and maple syrup and sausages and bacon and bacon for breakfast.

·
2,685 Posts
@daaef; I see you had an overnight stop at the Top Pub Uralla. When I'm up that way to ride the Oxley, I usually overnight at the CB Hotel in Tamworth because the of secure off-street parking, art deco bar and one of my favourite Indian restaurant are just a short stumble from the hotel. However, I've heard excellent reports about the Top Pub and TripAdvisor has good reviews - what are the rooms like and do they have off-street parking? Good to hear your thoughts.

·
2,685 Posts
Short 4-day jaunt through the local countryside, just to get away from the unceasing mayhem in the city.

Didn't get far before hunger set in ...

View attachment 109076

View attachment 109077

A bit spooky after the fog rolled in off the lake ...

View attachment 109078

View attachment 109079

Unexpected visitor the next day ....

View attachment 109080

Not quite so foggy (at least not the weather) ...

View attachment 109081

View attachment 109082

View attachment 109083

No pics of the hellacious thunderstorm we rode through one day. As they often do here, it came across the lake out of nowhere and was on us before we knew it.
Fasting completed (for this week) and had my feast last night. Cool pix you're shared. I might not have been paying attention, but is the GS a new acquisition in the stable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
@daaef; I see you had an overnight stop at the Top Pub Uralla. When I'm up that way to ride the Oxley, I usually overnight at the CB Hotel in Tamworth because the of secure off-street parking, art deco bar and one of my favourite Indian restaurant are just a short stumble from the hotel. However, I've heard excellent reports about the Top Pub and TripAdvisor has good reviews - what are the rooms like and do they have off-street parking? Good to hear your thoughts.

Hi mikeS,
The Top Pub has fairly basic pub motel rooms which are clean and set back from the road. There is a rear parking area off street and out of sight but not undercover or secure. The food and rear dining area was excellent - from memory I had the African spiced lamb shoulder.
I’ll have to try the CB at Tamworth next time. I’ve also heard the Bendemeer Hotel is good in that area.

·
2,685 Posts
Don't mind basic accommodation as long as it's clean and has off-street parking. Of course, good food is always high on my must must-haves. Thanks again for the info. I have port Macquarie visit coming up will traverse the Oxley on the way home back to Sydney.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I might not have been paying attention, but is the GS a new acquisition in the stable?
No, although I had one from 2009 to 2016, put close to 100K km on it. The black one belongs to my riding pal, who joined me at the campground for a couple of days. All I have these days is the R12R and the Scrambler. Ran out of room in the garage.

This is my GS in a few different places ...

Somewhere along theTrans-Labrador highway with the afore-mentioned riding pal ...

Quelque part au Québec près du grand fleuve ...

Somewhere in the middle of British Columbia ...

Somewhere at Hallowe'en

1941 - 1960 of 1979 Posts