BMW R1200R Forum banner

1961 - 1979 of 1979 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Since it's California's turn to burn to the ground, I stuck sort of close to home and did a 150 mile round trip down the coast, but we still have numerous wildfires burning and a very pink Sun this past couple of days.

It's getting to be an twice a year tragedy, during our Winter New South Wales burns, then our "Fire Season" starts when we used to have Summer. This year so far, and we aren't even in the worst part of the season.

It's unnerving when it's high noon and as dark as midnight. We have seen the 4 largest fires, ever, in just the past month or so. Including this beast, with nearly One Million Acres of Ash now, and it's only 45% contained, they are predicting higher temps and gale force winds till early next week.. so it's likely expand by another 100,000 acres by Monday.
August Complex (includes Doe Fire)

Incident TypeWildfire
Start Date2020-08-16
Last Updated2020-10-01 16:56:24
Admin UnitMendocino National Forest, CAL FIRE Mendocino Unit, and CAL FIRE Humboldt-Del Norte Unit
CountyMendocino, Humboldt, Trinity, Tehama, Glenn, Lake, Colusa
LocationMendocino, Humboldt, Trinity, Tehama, Glenn, Lake, & Colusa
Acres Burned955,513
Percent Contained47%

Season totals are daunting... this data does not include fires in Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Nevada, Idaho, Montana where there are many more fires.

California Fire Season to date
3,754,729 Acres
Acres Burned
8,136 Incidents
Number of Wildfires
26 Fatalities
Confirmed Loss of Life
8,169 Structures
Structures Damaged or Destroyed

But I did get in a pretty good ride, scrubbing in my new rear Road 5 and riding around the nails, screws and other debris. Cheers!

·
2,685 Posts
Another great day out on LC covering 675km for the day. I hadn’t planned to go quite that far yesterday but the weather was so good and not as much holiday traffic that I thought would be.

First, usual coffee with my wife and at our local for a lite breakfast - well lite in terms portion, but calories, I’m not so sure. However, with 2x 24-hour intermittent fasting sessions last week, I need to load-up.

The first stop was a little longer than usual but it was just so nice to relax with a coffee & little fig and walnut slice.

I stayed a little longer than usual so to save a bit of time I took quick blast up the M5, pealing off towards Exeter-Bundannon-Wingello then back onto the M5 for a quick refuel at Marulan.

The next stop Bungendore for lunch at Cafe Wood Works. Instead of a mind numbing run along with the M5, I turned off at the Bungonia National Park turnoff to visit my old-mate Ned.

Ned wasn’t too talkative so headed off and Tarago and then on to Bungendore. snaped a few pix along the way.

Always good food and vibe and I decided on a lite - Beetroot and halloumi salad for lunch.

After lunch instead of doubling back, I decided to head to Braidwood via King H’Way and down to Batmans Bay (covering the mounts to the sea).
I had planned to stop at Braidwood for a leisurely walk-around, but it was far too busy doing to all the school holiday. Braidwood, NSW - Aussie Towns

However, and to be honest, I was more interested in the Kings H’Way twisties of Clyde Mountain as it been ages since tackled them on LC.

Once down the bottom, it was leisurely run up the coast road to home. I got home with enough time to join the family for dinner - homemade Pizza washed home with my new favourite beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Nice meaty boom from the 'krapa @mikeS 👌

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
190 Posts
160 or so miles today with a couple of friends. Long Beach up to Azusa to meet at a Mobil station. From there up Hwy 39 (Azusa Canyon) to Crystal Lake Cafe for coffee past the edge of the Box Fire burn area. Back down, across the East Fork bridge and through Camp Williams to the bottom of Glendora Mt Road (aka GMR or Glendora Mt Raceway...) up the "backside to "the saddle" lookou, the down the front side to Glendora for lunch at The Hat. Cruise home on I-210 and I-605.

Campground cat liked my bike at Crystal Lake Cafe

·
2,685 Posts
Yesterday took advantage of perfect riding weather and Upper Hunter Valley squeezing in as many twisties and B-roads within reason. I managed to punch out 733K round trip. I got to my local for coffee fairly early but still managed to get started just before 7:30 AM and off to cruise the mighty Putty Road. It's surprising how little motorcycle traffic one the Putty yesterday and I’m not complaining.

First, stop Singleton for a quick refuel and then off to Gresford and then an early lunch at Dungog with some amazing scenery and twisties along the way.
The go-to Dungog cafe is Stella Bistro (not a greasy spoon), but you need to get their early as lunchtimes are a challenge to get a table.

Given its school holidays, the place was very busy so I gave it a miss. No biggie as I only wanted something very simple and headed to the Long Room Cafe.

After a lite and very enjoyable break, I headed off to Gloucester-Barrington-Barrington Top where the gravel road got the better of me and I had to double back (after battling mountain track) for over an hour or so. Did anyone suggest a Belly Pan might be a good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
What's the road in that first pic there? Also, second pic has to be the Dungog-Gloucester goat-track (?). Salad samich with beetroot (y)

·
2,685 Posts
From memory, it's Scone Road - Cobark @Mint. Classic Aussie sandwich must have beetroot. The Long Room makes a fine version but not perfect. The bread while wholemeal was too thin. My quest to find the holy grail of classic country salad sambos continues.

Reactions: Mint and Panzermann

·
2,685 Posts
What's the road in that first pic there? Also, second pic has to be the Dungog-Gloucester goat-track (?). Salad samich with beetroot (y)
Sorry forgot to Dungog-Gloucester goat-track comment. It always makes me smile because this road heading up to Dungog is under continual repair.

·
2,685 Posts
Took some time off work today and went for a mid-morning ride on LC. I’ve been burning the candle at both ends at work so I figured I learnt some time to myself. The plan was to take in the fabulous Royal National Park’s twisties. After navigating the usual heavy mid week traffic, I arrived at the Park’s gatehouse only to be directed back out as the road from the parks’s entrance and Stanwell Tops. So I headed off down the Pacific H’way and down to Stanwell Top lookout. A couple of Pix from thew lookout:

From the lookout I traveled along the Pacific H’Way with a planned lunch stop at Berry, but I forgot today was a fast day. Quck snap ouside the PUB ... so hungy.

Anyway I headed off from Berry a took the Berry Mountain turn off to Kangaroo valley. Wow, what a road and the way up the moutain is much steeper with tighter coners than one would expect. So much fun but care shoud be taken as the road surface is really chopped up.

All in all a short but great day out. That said, still managed to punch out a rushed 350k.

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
We're staying at Kiama for a few days, @mikeS - you could have called in.

·
2,685 Posts
Took some time off work today and went for a mid-morning ride on LC. I’ve been burning the candle at both ends at work so I figured I learnt some time to myself. The plan was to take in the fabulous Royal National Park’s twisties. After navigating the usual heavy mid week traffic, I arrived at the Park’s gatehouse only to be directed back out as the road from the parks’s entrance and Stanwell Tops. So I headed off down the Pacific H’way and down to Stanwell Top lookout. A couple of Pix from thew lookout:

From the lookout I traveled along the Pacific H’Way with a planned lunch stop at Berry, but I forgot today was a fast day. Quck snap ouside the PUB ... so hungy.

Anyway I headed off from Berry a took the Berry Mountain turn off to Kangaroo valley. Wow, what a road and the way up the moutain is much steeper with tighter coners than one would expect. So much fun but care shoud be taken as the road surface is really chopped up.

All in all a short but great day out. That said, still managed to punch out a rushed 350k.

I actually stop off at Kiama today for a quick stretch of the legs.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
I actually stop off at Kiama
It’s a lovely spot. Kate would love to move here to escape the icy Canberra winters.

·
2,685 Posts
Indeed a lovely little town and plenty of fine eateries.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
190 Posts
Next time I get out, I'll have to shoot video going up the back of GMR (Glendora Mountain Road)... And make sure Relive is running before heading up the hill as well... :)

A typical short day ride starts near Pioneer Park in Azusa, and ends back in Glendora, with a break near the top of the shown map at a little over 5,000 ft (about 1550 meters) elevation. Glendora is at 773 ft (235m). Home is at about 62 ft (16m) in elevation (Coastal town).

·
2,685 Posts
Managed to get out on LC today although I was under a self-imposed pump to get home in time to whats the Bathurst 1000 top ten shoot out. If was to make it home on time I needed to stay fairly close to my home base but far enough to get amongst some twisties and regional backroads.

First up and as usual coffee at our local and a little snack to keep the calories burn at bay. Although I left home without a route planed over coffee I decided to get amongst some of the tightest twisties close to my home base Gorge Galston – Vision Valleys via Berowra Ferry.

I probably spent far too much time riding up and down the Gorge, but I was in my zone navigating some of the tightest 5 kph hairpins on offer. So much fun and couldn’t resist backtracking a few times trying to nail the execution of my tight turns.

After a fair few laps, I head towards Wisemans Ferry- Wollemi-Cessnock and them home via motorway. While I seem to be riding all day, I only managed to crank out 486km for the day.

·
2,685 Posts
Here's a small clip from yesterdays ride

·
Premium Member
249 Posts

Ye Gods man, that bridge is about to fail!!

·
2,685 Posts
At the time I was thinking the same thing @filterfool

1961 - 1979 of 1979 Posts