BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those who don't have big enough top- or side-cases, where the answer would be pretty obvious... But if you park your bike, and are willing to leave the helmet with it, where do you put it / hang it?

My previous bikes all had some kind of hook, some of them secure and theft-proof (the k1200r has a hook under the seat), but on the r12r, I've not found anything that works... not even the handlebar (on some bikes, the helmet can hang on the right side when parked in the usual full-left locked steering position, but on the r12r the helmet bangs/rubs on everything).

So, is there a trick I haven't learned yet? Or a nifty accessory one can buy?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
592 Posts
I use a thin coated cable lock threaded through the chin bar of my full-face helmet and through a closed portion of the bike. The D-ring strap can be easily cut, so why tempt thieves? Yeah, someone with bolt cutters or robust wire snips could cut my thin cable, but realistically it’s meant as deterrent against casual thieves not prevention against the more determined type. I used to use the left pannier bracket, but since I recently removed that I use a couple different spots (on the left side, again, so the helmet swings out a bit and doesn’t lay on the bike).

It’s a bit if a hassle, so I only use it if I’m going to be away from the bike longer than five minutes or so, otherwise I just take my chances.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,669 Posts
Watch that casual helmet leaving stuff. I lost my helmet that way once. Four states from home too. Ashsoles abound.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
I open the visor, slide the helmet with the visor opening over the left mirror (once the handlebar is locked) and thread a cable lock through the visor hole, between the clutch hydraulics and handlebar and lock it. Even if I don't lock it, I put it there if I leave it on the bike for any appreciable time (more than a few seconds) - don't want it to accidentally fall. Before installing SW-Motech tailbag I used to put the helmet between the passenger handles with the chin bar facing back, but that's now not an option.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I'm not watching the bike I bring it with me. Particularly when it's hot out and I'm going into AC.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If I'm not watching the bike I bring it with me. Particularly when it's hot out and I'm going into AC.
If I have any reason to question, I take it with me. People will steal helmets. I can ride home without gloves. On trips, I can pack a spare pair of gloves. I can’t be without a helmet and may not be able to buy a replacement on the spot.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,139 Posts
Unless I have a top box to store my helmet in I always take it with me, as zerOnetgain says I cannot ride home without a helmet and there are far too many toerags out there to take a chance. I am serious about my own protection enough to pay out for an Arai, I don't want someone to lift it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"The D-ring strap can be easily cut, so why tempt thieves?

Something to consider, most bikes with helmet locks use the D-ring.
If the D-ring is cut off the helmet is unusable.
If the thin cable is cut, the helmet is still functional.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
592 Posts
"The D-ring strap can be easily cut, so why tempt thieves?

Something to consider, most bikes with helmet locks use the D-ring.
If the D-ring is cut off the helmet is unusable.
If the thin cable is cut, the helmet is still functional.
You know that, I know that, but the local crackhead may not, thinking that he’s going to snip it and sell it. The cable has much more of a visual deterrent for people like that.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
31 Posts
I just use a cheep bike lock through the chin bar of the helmet and the sleeve of my jacket if leaving the bike. I lock it around the cargo rack, pannier frames or bike frame. The helmet rests on the seat of the bike and the jacket covers it up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve been riding on and off since 1975 and never had a helmet stolen. Gave up using a cable years ago. Never heard of one being stolen either (though l know someone who has lost two bikes) Cheers

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
You know that, I know that, but the local crackhead may not, thinking that he’s going to snip it and sell it. The cable has much more of a visual deterrent for people like that.
I riding friend once had a helmet stolen by cutting the chin strap.
No one knows what goes through the mind of someone who would do that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have one of these with the optional padlock:

I use that when there isn't a better option available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have one of these with the optional padlock:

I use that when there isn't a better option available.
Oh that's cool! It fits between the bar end weight and the handlebar? Too bad they don't offer a locking version, but for when you don't feel an urge to lock it, it seems like a good possibility. Gotta hope it doesn't start raining though...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Oh that's cool! It fits between the bar end weight and the handlebar? Too bad they don't offer a locking version, but for when you don't feel an urge to lock it, it seems like a good possibility. Gotta hope it doesn't start raining though...
Yes, between bar end and grip. There is a hole through it,, and they offer a small lock to be able ro lock it. Small, not super-secure long shank padlock, but will deter casual theft as much as anything else.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts