BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wear a Schuberth and they don't have the D-ring strap system, so none of those locks or thin cables will work for it. I would use those systems if I could. I take mine with me, damn thing cost me over $400 and any idiot could get an easy $100, so it's not staying on the bike. when I'm traveling and I don't have anything in one of my panniers, my helmet fits inside one easily and goes there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Plus one on the helmet hook. I have mine on the right side and hang my full-face Arai Helmet there; it hasn't banged the side of my bike. The Helmet hook is cheap, easy to use, and for lunch breaks, etc.; it has worked for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought this online 3 years ago. (I think it was for a Harley.)
Ken
those two screws holding it onto the frame look pretty easy to undo. that said, a lot of Japanese bike used to come standard with locks exactly like yours. I have one floating around in my garage from a 1981 Suzuki GS 450T. I'm pretty sure there's a helmet lock on my !983 R80RT too. there are too many "disaffected" youths out there who would get a kick out of cutting off a helmet and leaving some rider stranded without his helmet to suit my taste.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
There’s always a slash-proof locking bag option.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
509 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
This is a question for those who don't have big enough top- or side-cases, where the answer would be pretty obvious... But if you park your bike, and are willing to leave the helmet with it, where do you put it / hang it?
I don't leave my helmet. It goes where I go.
If I had to leave it, I wouldn't take my usual lid. I'd bring one that I wouldn't mind losing.

I won't share the full list of things that people do to unattended helmets.

In the past, I sometimes used a cable lock to lock my helmet and Aerostich to my bike. Thread the cable through the sleeves & visor opening of the helmet.
These days, theft is so prevalent, at least in the US that I feel like hiring an unemployed hockey player to guard my gear.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Instead of placing our helmets on the seat or ground when we stop we hang them from a little S hook that I have attached under the luggage rack. The RS mirrors seem to move out of adjustment too easy if I try to slip the chin guard over the mirror.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

I use a extension since my helmet doesn't have Drings.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
592 Posts
For those who have panniers — I don’t yet, and am not sure if I’ll ever pull the trigger on a set — do larger, full-size helmets fit inside? I have a XL Arai with its very round design, and it can be a bit much for slimmer bags, though my previous bike’s (2016 FJR1300) panniers had no issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
For those who have panniers — I don’t yet, and am not sure if I’ll ever pull the trigger on a set — do larger, full-size helmets fit inside? I have a XL Arai with its very round design, and it can be a bit much for slimmer bags, though my previous bike’s (2016 FJR1300) panniers had no issue.
I have an HJC helmet, size small, and bought the larger Shad side cases that are advertised as large enough for "most helmets", but unfortunately my helmet does not fit inside (hence asking about other helmet "stotage" solutions)

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
592 Posts
I have an HJC helmet, size small, and bought the larger Shad side cases that are advertised as large enough for "most helmets", but unfortunately my helmet does not fit inside (hence asking about other helmet "stotage" solutions)
Good to know, thanks, since I likely would've looked at the Shad as a viable alternative, given its lower cost (and my only occasional planned usage).

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have Givi v37: fits a modular shuberth c3 pro with a Sena 50s which protrudes quite far when mounted on this helmet, and these cases fit the helmet no problem. To that extend they can also fit a leaf blower/gallon of paint/100ft of extension cord on a spool (even though it is in the top box at the photo below). LOL
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sports equipment Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've put my Schuberth C4 PRO in my pannier with no problems.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
here

·
Registered
139 Posts
The screws that came with the helmet lock are designed not to be undone, only done up. I chose to use conventional screws in case I wanted to take it off at some stage. When a helmet is locked in place the screws are basically inaccessible.
Ken

those two screws holding it onto the frame look pretty easy to undo. that said, a lot of Japanese bike used to come standard with locks exactly like yours. I have one floating around in my garage from a 1981 Suzuki GS 450T. I'm pretty sure there's a helmet lock on my !983 R80RT too. there are too many "disaffected" youths out there who would get a kick out of cutting off a helmet and leaving some rider stranded without his helmet to suit my taste.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
My panniers are too small (20 litres each case). So I usually take my helmet with me or if I have to I use a Z Lok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just came back from a four day two-up trip. We’ve both used the EZ Go strap I referenced above with good success.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts