BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. I know this has probably been covered a million times, but I need a bit of help from people with experience.
I'm based in Manchester UK, I'm doing a ride to Austria, my Metzeler Z8s tyres are not worn out by no means, but I don't want to be messing around changing my tyres part Journey, especially now with all the supply shortages.
For piece of mind I'm going to change my tyres before I set off.
My question is, what tyres are you lot using on a R1250R, I'm thinking of getting a set off Michelin PR6s, has anyone got them on and can comment, is there another tyre worth considering, or just stick with the Metzelers ?
To give you an idea of what type 0f tyre I'm looking for, I'm a mature rider of 62, I do long rides out during the spring, summer, Autumn, mainly summer, do quite a bit of long distance touring, don't do winter riding now, and don't commute.
I'm not too bothered about cost (within reason off course) I'm a great believer that you should never skimp on tyres.
Safety is my main concern, I like tyres that stick to the tarmac, rather than last a long time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Dunlop Roadsmart 4 has a good reputation for good grip in the wet or dry and has great life.
Being a cheap BMW rider I like the Roadsmart 3 because a set is $120 cheaper than the 4 :)
In the US if buying from a Dunlop Pro dealer there is a $60 rebate. I don't know if the rebates are available in the UK.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Michelin Road6 (and their predecessors) are excellent tires. I'd say it would be hard to go wrong with these.

I am currently running Bridgestone S22s though and have been very happy with them. I have not been through any heavy rain with them but they are quite sticky, as I learned at a recent track clinic weekend (see pic below). I think I will probably be going back for a 2nd pair when this one wears out.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm like you in my use profile, I have fitted Metzleler Sportec M9 RR

These are great, and the equivalent sportier tyres from any major brand would be good.

Downsides over sport touring prob. wear, cold weather warm-up. But upsides are extra safety-net...?

Certainly a little more nimble on the road.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
132 Posts
I just ordered a set of Dunlop Mutants.
Seems to be a terrific allround tire, and excellent in the wet.
We'll see...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to throw one more in there, I like Continental Tires - the Road Attacks specifically.

My local BMW dealer throws the Michelin Roads on everything, and based on 3 used bikes I've purchased from them, they appear to always install the GT spec version, regardless of bike, or weight.. because I got them on an F800GT(!) an RT, and the current R., which rides like a truck with those. The reinforced sidewall GT-spec tire should only be needed on an RT or K1600. So keep that in mind - for a naked bike the standard tire will be normally be fine, and ikely give a smoother ride.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
I once foolishly fitted a PR4 heavyweight spec front, in addition to rear. Hated them and couldn't wait for them to wear out. No feel.

Regular Road 5's put me back in my comfort zone and I've stuck with them, although expect I'll transition to the later model, Road 6.

Reactions: JRB_NW

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just to throw one more in there, I like Continental Tires - the Road Attacks specifically.
Same here. The moment I put them on the previous R1200R I started scraping pegs, they are that confidence inspiring. They also work right out of the box (no initial scrubbing needed) and work really well even when they are not at optimal temperature.

On the other hand I cannot wait to get rid of the Metzeller Z8. They are OK once they are really hot, but if they are not, they tend to slither when you add throttle at the corner exit or you add lean angle - a very unsettling feeling. They were a disaster three days ago on a cold (10C) slick alpine road in rain...

I'm tempted to try out Pirelli Diablo Rosso IV for the next pair of tires. to see how sport oriented tires feel. I had Pirelli Angel GT (more touring oriented) on my previous Honda Hornet 900 and they were also very confidence inspiring.

Then again, in the test at All-rounder rubber! It's the best sports-touring tyres the Metzeller Roadtec 01 SE came out on top, so at some point they will also end up on my motorbike - probably after the Pirellis. BTW, this test is quite relevant to this discussion, since a R1250RS was used to compare 6 tires to the OEM Z8.

Reactions: JRB_NW

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would rule out sporty tires such as sportecs, powers etc for such a long trip on which you don't want to change. Secondly, I bought the roadtec01's once on my camhead r1200r, I kept them a bit low 33/39 and they did wear quickly, showing wear at 2k miles. Great feel in dry & wet though.

Safest bet is Michelin Pilot Road 5 or Road 6. I have z8's on my bike and when they had 800 miles, I rode them back to back against a bike with Road 4's with 4.5k miles, PR4's were as good if not better. Not much wear showing either, cold 36/42 throughout their lifetime. PR5 gets rave reviews. Second to that, I would consider Conti Road Attack 3 or Pirelli Angel GT but I don't have personal experience with those two.

Also no heavyweight tires. Don't know anything about the dunlop mutant. Looks like a different take on things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you're going to be riding wet roads a lot or if you're slow Michelin Pilot Road F&R. If in dry Pilot Road rear, Pilot Power front. Sticky up front where you really want it and they wear out at the same time. Michelins have a comfy silky ride quality.

I'm currently on my third set of Bridgestone S22 F&R. Great sticky tires but they last less than 4K miles on the heavy, torquey R. I wouldn't use them if I had not been getting deals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts