BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,so as the title says anybody gone from the r1200r sport to the r1250r sport
now i know about the shift cam engine tft screen ,but has the euro5 rules make the engine more different
has this sorted by electronics etc
any thoughts hints tips always greatly received
love my 1200 is does everything well nice plush suspension for the uk shitty roads,and comfortable for days in the saddle no aches and pains the following day .
jason

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
46 Posts
Hi Jason.

Assuming you are referring to liquid cooled models, the good news is the transition from 1200 to 1250 is very easy. Everything you love about the 1200 is on the 1250 and then you get the TFT, Shift-Cam, more power and other subtle tweaks here and there. The other benefit is that anything after-market you have bought for the 1200 bolts onto the 1250 and here is a picture of my old 1200 and newer 1250 so you can see just how similar they are!

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Nothing wrong with the 1200 but the one I bought privately was a bit tatty when I got it home, so I decided to upgrade after a few months of ownership and invested in the 1250. Hope that helps you make a choice.

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jason.

Assuming you are referring to liquid cooled models, the good news is the transition from 1200 to 1250 is very easy. Everything you love about the 1200 is on the 1250 and then you get the TFT, Shift-Cam, more power and other subtle tweaks here and there. The other benefit is that anything after-market you have bought for the 1200 bolts onto the 1250 and here is a picture of my old 1200 and newer 1250 so you can see just how similar they are!

View attachment 112910 View attachment 112911

Nothing wrong with the 1200 but the one I bought privately was a bit tatty when I got it home, so I decided to upgrade after a few months of ownership and invested in the 1250. Hope that helps you make a choice.

Regards, Pete.
hi pete ,thanks for the reply,yes looks like lots of parts from my old bike will swop over to the new bike only the valve cover protection are different but thats not a problem
i normally like to decat my bikes but it looks like its not been done on this site
my old bike a 1200r l/c had a full remus system fitted and ran without no problems and the only thing i can see different on the 1250 is that it has a extra o2 sensor after the cat ,so i will do more searching arounds as arrow and grp do a decat system for the 1250 and part of the reason i am going to change it is i dont like the chrome system fitted on my bike ,i did not ask for the chrome system as it comes as part of package on my bike and it was a no brainer deal tbh

regards jason

·
Registered
581 Posts
Could have (or still can) ask if your dealer has any of the brushed stainless cans lying around that they could swap...

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
46 Posts
hi pete ,thanks for the reply,yes looks like lots of parts from my old bike will swop over to the new bike only the valve cover protection are different but thats not a problem
i normally like to decat my bikes but it looks like its not been done on this site
my old bike a 1200r l/c had a full remus system fitted and ran without no problems and the only thing i can see different on the 1250 is that it has a extra o2 sensor after the cat ,so i will do more searching arounds as arrow and grp do a decat system for the 1250 and part of the reason i am going to change it is i dont like the chrome system fitted on my bike ,i did not ask for the chrome system as it comes as part of package on my bike and it was a no brainer deal tbh

regards jason
Hi Jason,

I responded your separate question regards the 1250 decat issue and the general consensus is be very wary as a remap will most likely be required and good luck finding someone that can actually do it on the Euro 5 1250R. Like you, I hate the chrome and am slowly turning my bike into a triple black. I wanted an Akrapovic titanium header, but their website says a remap is essential when fitted - but who can do it (the jury is out on Hilltop....).so, I run a Remus end can in black and stock header with CAT / Flap intact that I have had ceramic coated in 'glacier black'. I am very happy with the results and the coating only cost £120!

Regards, Pete.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
That’s looking good Pete.

I think you’ve gotta decide what it is you want to achieve Jason. I find the throttle response on my R1250R pretty much perfect, and the bike has more than enough go for me.

If it is cosmetic then you could go Pete’s route and have the headers ceramic coated.

Akra also offer a high flow CAT option which means the bike will remain road legal and easier to insure. I don’t know if a remap is required for the Akra CAT headers.

I think more and more we’ll see aftermarket exhaust suppliers offering high flow CAT headers and a move away from de-CAT headers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That’s looking good Pete.

I think you’ve gotta decide what it is you want to achieve Jason. I find the throttle response on my R1250R pretty much perfect, and the bike has more than enough go for me.

If it is cosmetic then you could go Pete’s route and have the headers ceramic coated.

Akra also offer a high flow CAT option which means the bike will remain road legal and easier to insure. I don’t know if a remap is required for the Akra CAT headers.

I think more and more we’ll see aftermarket exhaust suppliers offering high flow CAT headers and a move away from de-CAT headers.
Thanks Gareth,

I should have been more specific that I wanted the decat Akrapovic headers and their website says ‘remap’, but they also do headers with a cat and I don’t think that needs a remap.

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
376 Posts
I tend to like a bit of contrast in my bikes, but that's one sharp blacked-out bike!

That Wunderlich seat is pretty striking, too...love that subtle layering with the white stitching.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gareth,

I should have been more specific that I wanted the decat Akrapovic headers and their website says ‘remap’, but they also do headers with a cat and I don’t think that needs a remap.

Regards, Pete.
hi pete, thank you for the reply and info
i have been doing a bit more searching /info gathering and a few telephone calls today,
arrow do headers for the 1250.£500 cheapest i could fine on the net or £700ish from arrow dealer in the uk
GPR exhaust do stainless steel headers as well for the 1250 £370 from the uk dealer and had a long call with them and they very knowledgeable and spoke at length and they have sold a few sets of headers and had no bad reports etc .He did tell me they have been dealing with gpr since 2008 and are a good company to deal with
i also spoke to mark at bsd in peterborough who does a lot of dyno work and said no software is available for remapping the bike yet (mind you there is none for the 1200 let alone the 1250),I am also not sure on hilltop tbh some people say brilliant some say bike dont feel any different so its a bit vague for my liking
From my own personal point on my 1200 it was decatted left the servo motor still connected so the ecu etc still thought it was working and no issues with engine lights on the dash ,both o2 sensors where fitted .The bike was not remapped because theres no map available,and it ran very well tbh,The reason for me fitting them was better finish in stainless steel did away with the cat and the exhaust valve and better bark with the full remus sytem and it sounded just sweet
The only differnce on the 1250 is there is a extra o2 sensor after the cat in the oem system but the headers i have said about you refit the the 2x sensors in the header down pipes (the same as the 1200)and the sensor in the rear as per the oem system just doing away with the cat and the exhaust valve and also leaving the servo motor connect
so i will fit my remus end can and see how we go and i might get the gpr headers and give them a try and see what happens in the future
ps ,the black headers do look sweet are they easy to keep clean ?? do they mark when they are warm and get wet ?
regards jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts