BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Edmonton, Canada. I've had my 2017 R1200 R listed in several for-sale sights locally.

I'm asking $13.5K CAD ($10,2K USD)

Is that too much to ask? The bike is immaculate with only 6000 km's.

What am I doing wrong?

~Bill

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gorgeous bike and prices well

What options are on the bike?
You have to be patient when selling an an R. The RS seem to sell faster in Canada.

If you have the OEM muffler, remove the Akra and sell it as you will get more than leaving it on the bike.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Lovely bike. Have you got it priced realistically? I have sold a few in my time, and as with everything I'd rather sell something for an advertised (say) $100 rather than not sell it for an advertised (say) $120 - you know what I mean. Also, patience is a real virtue with BMWs everywhere, it seems - they are not highly sought after, alas. But good luck - some lucky buyer is out there.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,680 Posts
You're not alone, a few have found that selling a used R is not easy as it's not a popular bike and many don't realise just how good the R is. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
It's no help to you but I wouldn't have blinked at dropping $500 maybe a full grand to get the red or blue frame. If they had a white/color frame R in stock I would have been sorely tempted to go used.

I know in my area dealers can't keep stock, you just need to connect with right buyer. And with the plague on people seem pretty focused on looking only at dealers.

Might be too far for you, but Wicked Power Sports in Enfield CT is actively hunting private sales bikes, your USD price might interest them, I know they just made a run to northern Maine and bought a huge load of bikes and small water craft.

Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gorgeous bike and prices well

What options are on the bike?
You have to be patient when selling an an R. The RS seem to sell faster in Canada.

If you have the OEM muffler, remove the Akra and sell it as you will get more than leaving it on the bike.
It has every factory option available. Good idea on the exhaust. I will try that!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's no help to you but I wouldn't have blinked at dropping $500 maybe a full grand to get the red or blue frame. If they had a white/color frame R in stock I would have been sorely tempted to go used.

I know in my area dealers can't keep stock, you just need to connect with right buyer. And with the plague on people seem pretty focused on looking only at dealers.

Might be too far for you, but Wicked Power Sports in Enfield CT is actively hunting private sales bikes, your USD price might interest them, I know they just made a run to northern Maine and bought a huge load of bikes and small water craft.

Good luck
It has the blue frame :)

·
Dave in NE TN
1,017 Posts
Your bike is gorgeous, your price seems fair, and I agree with everything said here so far.

I second trying Cycle Trader, and also Craigslist (I Know, I Know!). I've sold bikes via both those sites. You could also post it on Internet BMW Riders (IBMWR) Marketplace, but I never had much luck there - still, you never know what site will get you a buyer, and you only need one!

Winter's around the corner too, especially in Canada, so there's that as well.

Good pics make a huge difference, as does a good description of the bike, options & accessories, ownership & maintenance history. You're selling yourself as well as your bike - what FS ads get YOUR attention when you're looking to buy.

HTH!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this is an old post, but with a nice clean bike, well optioned the only reason it does not sell is price. Everything else is peripheral. Covid, summer,winter, plague of locusts, all a side show to the price

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it has not yet sold, also put it up on the Facebook Marketplace...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
73 Posts
Nice looking bike. Very good price. Personally I like the Akrapovic exhaust. You sould include the oem muffler with it. Good deal to me, not a clue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Bill,

I had a tough time selling my 2017 R1200R (same colour as yours) and ended up trading it in.
Really miss the bike and wonder if you will miss yours too. It is such a great bike. Only thing I didn’t like was the display. Love the new TFT... so much better.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bill,

did you finally sell it?
I am close to buy one and am asking myself if I can sell it again at some point.

rgs
Pancho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts