BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
:nicetopic::coolpics::goodjob:That's great, rebobd! I get it.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Why do you ride?

I ride to get there with a lot more pleasure and satisfaction than if travelling by any other means.

Some time ago I did a solo approx. 15,000 km circumnavigation of Oz - a LARGE country/ continent - on my GS. There is no way in the world I'd do that in a car... the satisfaction of meeting the challenge simply wouldn't be there, despite the fact that a car would offer far greater creature comforts, more safety, etc.

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Well, one of the reasons is that road you see in the background, one of many, but its right at my backdoor.....never mind the dinosour (not me), in the background either....you don't see them often!

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Speaking of Nessie, I just finished watching "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman last night. I know it's fairly old, but I thought it was really entertaining. I'd love to take that kind of trip!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
keep 'em coming

thanks for the replies. more photos and more about why YOU ride please :001_tt1:

Oz and Nessie huh? and where are those places for us uninformed Americans? i've only ridden europe and the states, but more continents to come i'm sure.

i sent all the photos i had already i should have spaced them out!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Why do I ride? I think the answer is ongoing and varies as well...
First of all, it almost always seems like I am in a better mood after then before....
The thrill of man and machine et al...
More fun then a car, and the rides rarely seem long on the bike as opposed to the car...
Keeps us young...
The zen like oneness going through a series of twisties, and knowing you got it right on this time...
I wax poetic, better shut it down for now....

rebobd, is this on the road to Warner Springs?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I suspect that this interesting question is going to generate ongoing interest and many, many responses.

I have appointed myself as moderator of those responses, so please send any others to me - as many as possible - written on the back of a $50/ 50 pound/ 50 Euro note (and any others of similar value) and I'll pick the best answer in due course.

L of S

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hank Wetzmann put me on the handlebars of his Lambretta when I was 10 years old (1961) and took me for a spin around the neighborhood. The bug bit instantly. Got a bike when I was 18 but borrowed all I could from the time I got a license. Parents made the 18 rule, Sigh. That was 43 years ago and I have barely been without two wheels in the interval.

I think I ride for the same reasons I'd sport-parachute, SCUBA dive, race bikes, love to test the limits on my 911, grab snakes, joined the army airborne, engage in still other forms of risk-taking and can usually fall dead asleep in 1-minute or less when nothing's happening and I decide to shut down. Chemical imbalance, I'd say. Probably insufficient MAO. Why? Is there another answer? :D

Hot wheels in 1967:

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I suspect that this interesting question is going to generate ongoing interest and many, many responses.

I have appointed myself as moderator of those responses, so please send any others to me - as many as possible - written on the back of a $50/ 50 pound/ 50 Euro note (and any others of similar value) and I'll pick the best answer in due course.

L of S
Ansestory from Tasmania? :detective:

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Back on Topic!

I like the social aspect, I belong to the "Wakatipu Motorcycle Club" ....180 members, attendence can vary from 20 riders to 4 on a club ride, a ride goes out once a month, and we have the odd after work ride through the week. It's eclectic bunch of people, being so it tends to keep the riff raff out.
Its nice to be on a trip somewhere with a bunch of people, you would not get the same thing happening for a car trip, unless its a car club.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, it almost always seems like I am in a better mood after then before....
The thrill of man and machine et al...
More fun then a car, and the rides rarely seem long on the bike as opposed to the car...
Keeps us young...
The zen like oneness going through a series of twisties, and knowing you got it right on this time...
I wax poetic, better shut it down for now....

rebobd, is this on the road to Warner Springs?
surf, this is highway 58, northeast of los angeles and ojai. fantastic 100 plus miles of twists and turns with an occasional straight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hank Wetzmann put me on the handlebars of his Lambretta when I was 10 years old (1961) and took me for a spin around the neighborhood. The bug bit instantly. Got a bike when I was 18 but borrowed all I could from the time I got a license. Parents made the 18 rule, Sigh. That was 43 years ago and I have barely been without two wheels in the interval.

I think I ride for the same reasons I'd sport-parachute, SCUBA dive, race bikes, love to test the limits on my 911, grab snakes, joined the army airborne, engage in still other forms of risk-taking and can usually fall dead asleep in 1-minute or less when nothing's happening and I decide to shut down. Chemical imbalance, I'd say. Probably insufficient MAO. Why? Is there another answer? :D

Hot wheels in 1967:

great answer! i only wish someone had put me on a bike at a young age. i have only been riding a bit less than 4 years. rode dirt bikes as a kid only a few times and rented a bike on a trip through greece in college but it had been 20 plus years since when i decided to get my license and a bike back in 2009. it came pretty naturally to me but i've spent the better part of the last 2 years (since moving to CA), really working on being a better rider through classes, clinics, track days, etc. i enjoy the physics of riding, the zen like feeling you get on a good ride of course, but i also really enjoy working on the skill. to me, if i'm going to ride, i want to skew the odds in my favor as much as possible and that comes with practice, and embracing everything there is about riding, even the stuff that's not so fun or euphoric. my friend who works on my beemer had a great quote, "nothing about the bike should make you uncomfortable, and if it does, then work on that so no matter what you have some control."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Riding and sex, are two great things for someone to do. The views are great for both, or not... :-( Fingers sometimes crossed. Indeed riding lasts as long as you want, and sex, sometimes not so much... "Wearing protection" is indeed a great choice when testing new roads ;-) In the case of one or the other, a rash, is a rash, is a rash ;-) But only one, touches my soul, every time. Only one, makes it "all better" every time. And since only one of those things is "legal in public" Riding it is!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The same reason a friend of mine gave when the cop asked why she rides so fast. She was stopped for going over 100 mph near Shasta, CA.

BECAUSE IT IS FUN

The cop just gave her a warning.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FUN is as good a reason as any pete. i see so few 1200r's in the states knowing it's very popular in europe. but i love the R, and mine will be with me as long as it wants to be ridden, then i'll retire it to my garage and just look at it and remember all the great places it took me

1 - 20 of 37 Posts