BMW R1200R Forum banner
141 - 160 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2016 r1200r
27 Posts
I feel like BMW has made in-roads with younger customers with their RNINET line. R9 riders here in LA are almost exclusively "young." (relative to this 52 year R12 rider) But overall, I've always heard BMW's as "a gentleman's bike," which doesn't exactly scream "young." But IMHO, boxers are funky bikes like Guzzi's, and even to a degree, classic-looking Triumph's. Each one attracts their own niche rider...stereotypes if you will. Even though I got my first boxer at 22 years old (a 1975 R/90), I just fell in love with the quirky look and that was that.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
To me, standard means upright riding posture and naked means no faring. The R isn’t as upright as I’d like even with risers and footpeg lowering kit. The Triumph Tiger is more upright but the 1200 is a big beast and expensive and the 900 is low power. The R1250R has plenty of power, and with linked brakes, electronic suspension and other electronic rider safety aids, it’s hard to beat. Multistrada V4 looks like a killer bike but for $$$$$$.

·
Registered
479 Posts
For me, “roadster” and “standard” are exercises in manufacturer semantics and industry vaguery. I call and will continue to call my R1250R a naked bike because in my eyes the R12XXR is as much a naked bike as any of the others that bear the label.
Amen to that. I also call it a 'naked', because that's exactly what it is indeed :). Reminds me of builders who say they build 'homes', not houses. It's a f***ing house. Ha ha.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
The R1250R has plenty of power, and with linked brakes, electronic suspension and other electronic rider safety aids, it’s hard to beat. Multistrada V4 looks like a killer bike but for $$$$$$.

Sssssh Dougl, Ssssssh, some folks roond here didnae like the fact the R1250R represents excellent value for money (bang fae buck).

It's a f***ing house.
It’s nae a foccing hoose, it’s a foccin Roadster! And a very good and affordable one at that!

·
Registered
479 Posts
You're welcome to drink BMW's 'kool-aid'. Some of us see the 'naked' reality as it is ;). And being a good or bad value is irrelevant to the fact it's a naked bike. Anyway, I'm out of this useless argument.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
It happens to be naked, but that’s what proper bikes are. They were all that way until manufacturers started ‘dressing’ them, full dresser Harleys and Gold Wings being the ultimate expression of a dressed bike.
But the market doesn’t want regular tourers, sports tourers and sports bikes to be called dressed bikes, so the term naked was assigned to bikes that don’t have such a wardrobe. The term ‘proper bike’ might imply that dressed bikes are lesser in some way (to which most BMW Roadster owners would agree) but the market wouldn’t be happy with that perspective I’m sure.
So while we are born naked, the norm now is for us to be dressed, and removing our clothes distinguishes us as naked. When Superman removes his clothes, his super powers mean he is a super naked. So it is with bikes.
BMW’s conservative marketing finds the term naked a little confronting it would seem, hence their adoption of the archaic term roadster for their undressed road bikes, perhaps reflecting the early usage of the term as a horse ridden for pleasure. Seems to fit. I might take my Roadster for a run tomorrow. By definition, it should be fun, and I can’t argue with that.

Font Material property Magenta Screenshot Parallel

Reactions: MotoCon

·
Registered
163 Posts
I call my 1250R a "naked" because the other iterations of the bike are, full on touring with panniers and top box (RT),
long travel suspension and off-road capability (GS), and a faired sports touring bike (RS).
The bike as delivered has no windshield, fairings, and has somewhat sporting ergos, as opposed to a standard, with more upright ergos.
I'd compare it to a Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
152 Posts
Anyway, I'm out of this useless argument.
IMO that is why I don't bother with discussing/arguing an opposing opinion. All that does is piss people off...and then, all involved feel the same way afterwards.

At least as far as my wife is concerned.. :p

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I don’t see this as much of an argument. More like you say “potayto” and I say “potahto”

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
You're welcome to drink BMW's 'kool-aid'. Some of us see the 'naked' reality as it is ;). And being a good or bad value is irrelevant to the fact it's a naked bike. Anyway, I'm out of this useless argument.
I don’t see this as much of an argument. More like you say “potayto” and I say “potahto”
Its just a silly internet discussion. Anyway its tattie.

Though sometimes internet discussions can be thought provoking, if still ultimately pointless.

I thought I’d go and see what other Roadster offerings there are out there;

BMW has 4. Though I figure you have to be able to fit either a top box or panniers to a Roadster, preferably both – so that rules out two of them.

Triumph has Roadsters. But none of them looks like a Roadster to me. I would say they are naked or super naked.

Honda has ‘Street’ bikes. Of them only the CB500F looks like a proper Roadster. Well done Honda!

KTM has naked bikes – none of them seems remotely sensible.

I dunno, in my mind the R1250R is a roadster. It is maybe one of the last of a dying breed. I think the Roadster is almost dead. Now it’s all naked or super naked bikes, which seldom offer any practical comforts - though Yamaha’s MT10 can be flexible as can the Super Duke GT. The Sports Tourer is almost dead too, you wanna tour then you buy an Adventure bike – apparently.

I guess I’m getting old, I’m resistant to change, I bought a Roadster, a Boxer! I never thought I’d ever buy a Boxer.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
115 Posts
Even sillier is the term “bagger.” Let’s see, a bike with a short windscreen and panniers, but no top trunk, is a “bagger,” right? I guess my K1200RS and F800GT were “baggers!” LOL

What the heck is a “bagger?!”

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
I've long heard Harley Davidson Touring models - Electra Glide, Road Glide, Road King, etc. - referred to as "baggers", presumably because they came with bags (and don't look good without them) and are meant to carry a lot of gear for long distance travel.

Cheers, Dave

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Baggers are/were Dyna Glides or Soft Tails with too-small saggy leather bags draped over the rear fender.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
I thought I’d go and see what other Roadster offerings there are out there.
Don’t forget Royal Enfield’s Interceptor - by the advertising blurb, it seems to fit the 1818 definition of roadster perfectly. Bells and whistles not required.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I usually get antsy about a new bike 2 years in. However, I can’t come up with another road bike (Roadster?), at around 500 lbs, with as much low end power and peak hp at relatively low revs as the R. As a long time Triumph rider, the Tiger 900 GT comes close except for the huge decrease in power. For the same base bike price. And then there’s what am I going to do with a Multistrada with 170 hp at a teeth rattling 10.5k rpm?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 · (Edited)
I usually get antsy about a new bike 2 years in. However, I can’t come up with another road bike (Roadster?), at around 500 lbs, with as much low end power and peak hp at relatively low revs as the R. As a long time Triumph rider, the Tiger 900 GT comes close except for the huge decrease in power. For the same base bike price. And then there’s what am I going to do with a Multistrada with 170 hp at a teeth rattling 10.5k rpm?
Same...though my antsiness is usually three or four years in. But while I stay up-to-date with all the manufacturers' new models and model upgrades and whatnot, like you I continue to not find a better package that offers the same thrilling low-end torque, decent weight, loaded tech, attractive design, excellent fit and finish, shaft (or belt, something low-maintenance) drive, comfortable ergos, etc. While I love the R1250R, I'm able to stay objective enough to make a reasoned judgment about what else is out there in the naked/roadster field -- for instance, the Ducati Streetfighter is, I think, the sexiest bike on the market -- and there's just nothing else out there that to my mind offers a better package more suited to what I want in a bike at this point in my riding life. And that's kind of an odd realization...that utter contentment is something I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying before.

Rumors have it that the GS is coming out very soon with a 1300 engine. If that shifts over to the R and they introduce a burnt orange paint scheme with it, well, that'll likely get me to trade in my '20. But otherwise, my '20 is going to be a long-term bike, a concept I've heard others talk about from time to time but never quite understood until now.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
I'm hoping there will be some cool 2023 Hundredth Anniversary Beemer models to consider. Would seem logical for the R1300 to make its debut.

Had a new 2003 Hundredth Anniversary Harley Road King, would have made a cool stable mate for a 100th Beemer but I let it go despite being a good bike because I just wasn't a Harley guy.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm hoping there will be some cool 2023 Hundredth Anniversary Beemer models to consider. Would seem logical for the R1300 to make its debut.

Had a new 2003 Hundredth Anniversary Harley Road King, would have made a cool stable mate for a 100th Beemer but I let it go despite being a good bike because I just wasn't a Harley guy.

Cheers! Dave
Sounds like there will be a 2023 R1300GS.
I'm guessing it will be 2014 for the RT and 2025 for the RS and R.

141 - 160 of 204 Posts