BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every other bike I have owned came from the factory (Ive only had new bikes -- for better or worse) with balanced wheels -- meaning they had weights on them.

I noticed on the 2020 r1250r there are no weights on the back or the front. How come?

I just had a 2inch screw go into my back tire at ~1300 miles and I decided to change the wheel myself. SHould I balance it even if I am swapping out for the same model tire (Metzeler Z8)?

·
Registered
348 Posts
The last four or five years when looking at new bikes at the shop I notice some of the bikes with cast wheels do not have weights on the back wheel.
I almost always see weights on the front.
The back wheel on my wife's 2016 R1200RS rarely needs and weights to balance.

Reactions: MGL

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,841 Posts
A lot of people have started to leave the rear wheel as it's thought the balance is not important. I do not subscribe to this, in my view both wheels should be balanced although I do agree the rear has less effect on the ride and handling it's still important. Even if you are replacing the tyre with the same type it will have been made slightly differently so will need to be rebalanced.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
If you check the manual, you’ll see the maximum imbalance for the rear wheel is nine times that of the front. I presume the much higher unsprung weight at the rear and the lower role in steering inputs would have something to do with it.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

Reactions: TimMc
1 - 4 of 4 Posts