BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than once there has been chat here about Roadsters that come up for sale with negligible miles/ km on them. I bought one once - perfick! Another such presented itself to me yesterday via the (Aus) Bikesales website in the form of a classic 2011 R1200 R Classic with a mere 12,500km on it, seemingly in excellent condition with hard panniers, top-box, etc. With that age and mileage it has been ridden on average for less than 1500km per year, just nicely run-in. Again, why is it so?

I maintain my interest in a 90th Anniversary version of the 1200 R, a 2013 model with ~17,000km on it, as inspected for me and given a thumbs-up by a mate here, the spoke wheels on the Classic being a bit of a turn-off (despite having owned one myself way back and with no issues of any kind whatsoever - but time moves on).

I wonder if there are other bikes that come out of the blue like this - scarcely used examples in excellent condition, well-priced. If this c-v lockdown continues, I may have to start researching it further in order to fill-in some time - lots of time! I see a PhD research paper coming up!

·
Registered
49 Posts
More than once there has been chat here about Roadsters that come up for sale with negligible miles/ km on them. I bought one once - perfick! Another such presented itself to me yesterday via the (Aus) Bikesales website in the form of a classic 2011 R1200 R Classic with a mere 12,500km on it, seemingly in excellent condition with hard panniers, top-box, etc. With that age and mileage it has been ridden on average for less than 1500km per year, just nicely run-in. Again, why is it so?

I maintain my interest in a 90th Anniversary version of the 1200 R, a 2013 model with ~17,000km on it, as inspected for me and given a thumbs-up by a mate here, the spoke wheels on the Classic being a bit of a turn-off (despite having owned one myself way back and with no issues of any kind whatsoever - but time moves on).

I wonder if there are other bikes that come out of the blue like this - scarcely used examples in excellent condition, well-priced. If this c-v lockdown continues, I may have to start researching it further in order to fill-in some time - lots of time! I see a PhD research paper coming up!
It is crazy, LoS. I see the same over here in the USA. Last year I paid $8K for a 2014 Dark White with OEM hard luggage and it had 7K miles on it. I've seen many comparable deals since then - some even tempted me to put a second R in the garage! Fortunately my wife came to the rescue and threatened neutering if another bike showed up. Persuasive lady. Anyhow, I've concluded (as have others) the these excellent bikes are some of the best deals in motorcycling! Maybe too many buyers are worried about image over ability?

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maybe too many buyers are worried about image over ability?
I think you may well have hit the nail on the head there, foggy! The mint 2013 or thereabouts Biarritz Blue R that I bought way back - better than new as it had a nice Akra pipe and V-stream screen, which I later replaced as too big (but no panniers) had only ~700 (hundred, not thousand) km on it! The dealer dropped quite a few dollars off the asking price, around $1200 IIRC, without any debate: I flew 900km down to Sydney: checked it out: and rode it home about 1200km via a very lengthy detour over three days!

Sadly, the current c-v lock-down prevents me from again flying down to check out the 90th Anniversary and making an offer too good to refuse..

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a 2012 with just under 5K miles. Sent an email with an offer. We will see what happens...

AMAZING! You have taken the cake thus far sharky!

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I bought my 2011 R1200R in January it had done 7000 kilometers. I think it just looks too good. You end up spending more time looking at the bike than riding it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
... The mint 2013 or thereabouts Biarritz Blue R ...
Surely a man of your infinite wisdom of all thing "R" would recognise that this cannot be a 2013 model ;). If so, what happened to the dual cams?

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Surely a man of your infinite wisdom of all thing "R" would recognise that this cannot be a 2013 model ;). If so, what happened to the dual cams?
I actually owned 2 x Biarritz Blue Rs, Ant, at different times (obviously!) and this pic was the first I picked out of the very many pix I have on file! In those days I was not able to date-stamp the pix it seems. But I am not quite sure of your 'dual cams' reference: if you explain then my humble 'infinite wisdom' will be even wisdomerer! Meanwhile, I shall seek other pix!

LATER EDIT: and lo! - above - I have found one other pic of me standing proudly by the "new" R in my garage, soon after returning from Sydney with it in September 2015, via Mudgee and Armidale, but alas only a b&w pic as printed. The pic comes from a lengthy article that I had published in the local BMW magazine in December 2015. I see from the mag article that the bike was in fact Montego Blue, not Biarritz Blue, though you'd be hard-pressed to differentiate! It was a mint 2014 model, according to the article, with a mere 719km on the clock. It was fascinating to read again the tale of my collecting this bike, and the ride home - talk about a blast from the past, yet only four-and-a-half years ago: seems so much longer. I see from the article that I was then about to head-off on a few days touring in the southern New South Wales Snowy Mountains with four other Roadsterers, and I know I have some pix of that, so will again look for some other shots, but these in colour!

(See below, including what has to be a pic of a rare occurrence of five Roadsters together!).

·
Registered
40 Posts

I've had my classic since new for 8 years now , by far and away the longest I've held onto any bike ..so that's saying something in itself :)

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had my classic since new for 8 years now , by far and away the longest I've held onto any bike ..so that's saying something in itself :)
Indeed, Beevill - they are in a class of their own.

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amazing - they keep coming! Bikesales haven't as yet advised me of this one. There must be a barn full of these.... eight years old, under 10,000km...! Pretty soon someone will pop-up with a brand-new one, still in its box! Those MJM seats get good press...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Agree re MJM seats, I had a lowered MJM on my trusty (& now departed) '07 DL650 Wee Strom. Much better and comfy than OEM Suzuki, which some suggested was quite similar to wearing a G string made out of 4 x 2 - not that I would know, of course. My predilections don't go quite THAT far...

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree re MJM seats, I had a lowered MJM on my trusty (& now departed) '07 DL650 Wee Strom. Much better and comfy than OEM Suzuki, which some suggested was quite similar to wearing a G string made out of 4 x 2 - not that I would know, of course. My predilections don't go quite THAT far...

Hmmm! Cancel that invite to stay overnight at yours, herdy!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I've been tempted several times to change my 2009 for a similar age R with less miles. I know the value of mine with 80,000+ miles will be quite low so I've decided to keep it as long as it costs no more than an annual service and new rubber. It's good to know there are plenty of bargains out there when the time comes for a change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found a 2008 with 7K miles on it locally at a non BMW dealer. They were asking $5K but they are willing to to take $4500. I am going to go look at it Thurs when wife is off . Looks completely stock. Sounds like a decent deal. Anything I should look for? Even though they are not a BMW dealer, they are associated with a BMW dealer near me so I can check for any recalls.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good luck! 2008? 7000 miles!! Not even broken-in yet! But if you are not familiar with these bikes, maybe try to find a local who is and who could look at it with you... Check service records too, if any.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier. I got a dealer valuation on my finance free 2018 Exclusive with 5,000 miles on the display, full BMWSH, Akra and all.

£6,500, plus a £500 voucher. “they tend to stay around for a long time” he said.

Almost exactly 50% depreciation. Hey ho!

My only excuse for such a low mileage is its ‘brother from another mother’ Thruxton. Twice the mileage, two years older, £2k higher trade-in value. So the conclusion is that a one trick wonder is more prized than an all rounder that’ll last a good 100 thousand miles more. And that the R is a keeper(y)

8D661553-447F-4B32-8438-8E476BE90490.jpeg

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We live an' learn, ArbOl.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts