21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
That's the identical 90th Anniversary bike I'm talking about and considering. Looks in identical top condition too. Just wish the pricing here was also comparable!
At the current exchange rate, Fogrider’s example is almost A$14k Lawrence. For a 7 year old bike that’s two generations old, I’d reckon that’s exorbitant.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wasn't referring to the apparent value taking into account the xch rate, Pz, just the number - I'd like to get hold of that 2013 90th Anni for AUD $8999!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found a 2008 with 7K miles on it locally at a non BMW dealer. They were asking $5K but they are willing to to take $4500. I am going to go look at it Thurs when wife is off . Looks completely stock. Sounds like a decent deal. Anything I should look for? Even though they are not a BMW dealer, they are associated with a BMW dealer near me so I can check for any recalls.
Well I went to check it out today. Bike wasn't too bad. It had a tipover on the right side but case wasn't too scratched up. Most of the markings on the switchgear was rubbed off. Prior owner added an aftermarket windscreen, a manual grip cruise control, and Delkavic pipe.

I initially offered 4500 and they said they would take it but after checking the bike out and not seeing any service records, specifically the 6K service, I decided to offer them 4300. They came back with a price that was above what their site listed it for. The saleslady asked where I saw it priced at 4999 and I pulled up their site on my phone. I left and called the sales guy at another location they own and where I bought another bike in the past. He pulled a document where they would accept my offer but then tacked on $587 for "service". I thanked him for the effort but told him they should have sent the bike to their actual BMW shop where they could have done the 6K service at that price. He later texted me they would do 4700 + ttl. It was only a $400 difference from my offer but I hate haggling with sales guys.

If anyone wants an 08 R in the US with 7.5K miles, you can try your luck at Freedom PowerSports in Lewisville. Their BMW shop is the same way. I sometimes wonder how they sell any bikes at all sometimes.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A not-uncommon story!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier. I got a dealer valuation on my finance free 2018 Exclusive with 5,000 miles on the display, full BMWSH, Akra and all.

£6,500, plus a £500 voucher. “they tend to stay around for a long time” he said.

Almost exactly 50% depreciation. Hey ho!

My only excuse for such a low mileage is its ‘brother from another mother’ Thruxton. Twice the mileage, two years older, £2k higher trade-in value. So the conclusion is that a one trick wonder is more prized than an all rounder that’ll last a good 100 thousand miles more. And that the R is a keeper
That’s a bit mean. On the other hand, I can see used car and bike prices plummeting soon. Unemployment is going to rise fast, and I suspect when the dealers open there might be a queue of folks outside waiting to return their PCP purchases.

I’ve not long taken delivery of a new R1250R, and I have to say if I had known Covid19 was round the corner when I ordered I wouldn’t have placed the order. But hey, I’ve got my new bike and I’m gonna ride it.

Anyway, how does the Thruxton compare to the R1200R? I mean they are both big twins. I was interested in test riding a few Triumphs and the dealer had plenty of demos. But I walked away after asking what their insurance excess was – 2000 quid!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Gareth,

They‘re two different beasts as you’d expect, the Thruxton is a good deal lighter and lower but you definitely feel more arm pull in comparison, although with less torque overall than the R. The spread of torque is also much greater in the boxer, whilst it’s less agile due to heft. However, the lower centre of gravity makes it much more stable in corners at speed.

Given the choice, the Triumph is for continental quality smooth tarmac and sharp bends, the BMW is for scuzzy real life roads here in SE England littered with ruts and potholes (and way better for pillions). Love the shaft drive too.

I’ve noticed it does appreciate being thrashed to get the best from the chassis and brembos, but it’s naturally more subdued in riding stance.

This is the ultimate 2 in 1, but is BMW listening?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cheers ArbOL, I really like the look of the Speed Twin. Have not riden one though.

My R1250R puzzles me a bit. I see it as a great potential all-rounder. I’m also somebody who looks at adventure bikes and thinks – why?

But then my first run in the rain and I get back in to find my legs and back coated in road grime. I mean coated – I’ve never seen anything like it. I would have expected that on the R nine T, but not my R1250R.

The front mudguard is some sort of joke.

We’ll see how it goes. But yeah, does BMW intend the R1250R as a proper good old basic do anything roadster, or a summer Sunday fun bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More than once there has been chat here about Roadsters that come up for sale with negligible miles/ km on them. I bought one once - perfick! Another such presented itself to me yesterday via the (Aus) Bikesales website in the form of a classic 2011 R1200 R Classic with a mere 12,500km on it, seemingly in excellent condition with hard panniers, top-box, etc. With that age and mileage it has been ridden on average for less than 1500km per year, just nicely run-in. Again, why is it so?

I maintain my interest in a 90th Anniversary version of the 1200 R, a 2013 model with ~17,000km on it, as inspected for me and given a thumbs-up by a mate here, the spoke wheels on the Classic being a bit of a turn-off (despite having owned one myself way back and with no issues of any kind whatsoever - but time moves on).

I wonder if there are other bikes that come out of the blue like this - scarcely used examples in excellent condition, well-priced. If this c-v lockdown continues, I may have to start researching it further in order to fill-in some time - lots of time! I see a PhD research paper coming up!
My 2012 had only 20k on it . Cant see why you wouldn't ride such a fantastic machine.. Less than 3k per year. Go figure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Working on a deal next week on one at a dealer in another state. Might try a fly n ride. We'll see how it pans out. Took the C650 Sport out yesterday. Was gonna look at a Kawi Z900RS but they sold it before I got there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well the one I saw in CO sold. Called about one in St. Louis but it sold too. Cycletrader is not updated often apparently. I even found a Honda 919 on FB I was gonna check out today but guy sold it yesterday. People are buying stuff up left and right. I decided to bite the bullet and go back and get the 08 that was local. Wasn't a bad deal but I was looking for a great deal. $4700 and it has 7500 miles on it. Guy put a Delkevic pipe on there and it sounds decent. Also came with a mechanical cruise control and bar risers. I gotta ditch the bar risers. Rode it home about 30 miles and it rides well. I think it also has the low seat on it. Seat doesn't matter too much since I am 5'4"

Now I just need to find some used luggage for it and a tankbag. We will probably take it out Monday for a ride and lunch since it is my birthday.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
The rather tasty 2013 R1200 R SE 90th Anniversary version that I was interested in - and that herdygerdy very kindly checked-out for me in Sydney, giving it a very good report - has disappeared from the Bikesales web-pages. Pity that, as I'd have liked to have followed it up, but at present I cannot cross the State's borders. How long, Lord, how long?

Maybe another of those tiny-mileage little-used hex-head Roadsters might pop-up somewhere soon.

LATER (by not much) EDIT: and indeed another has popped-up, on a bikes-for-sale website I've never before used. This is a mint-ish-looking 2008 R1200 R with a negligible 6700km on it, averaging over its lifetime a mere 600km or so per year, maybe less. Unbelievable - but there's clearly a story there as the blurb states that it has been stored for six years (hence a new battery). Comes complete with BMW hard panniers and top-box too. I'm not at all keen on a 2008 model as it's getting a bit long-in-the tooth and maybe missing-out on some of the more recent enhancements: it would also need some spending, new tyres being an obvious and important first step. But - it does show that they are out there: and again - 'why?' I feel an early morning phone-call coming on to NSW postcode 2130, wherever that may be...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh Lordy, Lordy LoS! As your good luck would have it, NSW Post Code 2130 is Summer Hill, and hardly 10 measly minutes from me. (I swear LoS, with your current good fortune, you could fall in a sewer and come up with a mouthful of icecream!)

Awaiting your direction. FYI, I'm working arvos from 3:30 pm this week (unbelievable I know!), so I could look at it during the day. Gimme a holler quick smart if you want me 'tuh go an' ava' squiz for ya'... Wotcha got to lose?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Oh Lordy, Lordy LoS! As your good luck would have it, NSW Post Code 2130 is Summer Hill, and hardly 10 measly minutes from me. (I swear LoS, with your current good fortune, you could fall in a sewer and come up with a mouthful of icecream!) Awaiting your direction. FYI, I'm working arvos from 3:30 pm this week (unbelievable I know!), so I could look at it during the day. Gimme a holler quick smart if you want me 'tuh go an' ava' squiz for ya'... Wotcha got to lose?

Thanks, T. I'll make that phone call first, purely out of curiosity as I still cannot travel into NSW myself, but it is rather intriguing! The ask of $13,00 is IMHO far too much, but... Having said that a 2008 is getting a bit long in the tooth (and indeed it is) I'm also, thinking about it, pretty sure that I'd have had a 2008 in my stable back then, or thereabouts: I shall have to look through my many old photos later today. Stay tuned, mate! Meantime, would you pls PM me your phone number, which I cannot find (but will do the moment I press send here!)..

LATER EDIT: Looking back through the archive I see that I did indeed own this particular model R1200 R, back in 2011! I found an old BMW magazine ad offering this 'immaculate Biarritz Blue 2009 model' for sale at $14,500, which price I'd have obtained as I don't haggle and it represented excellent value at that price.. It had then covered 14,00km - just nicely run-in - and came with many extras such as a Ventura luggage system, tall touring screen, rad guard, Stebel horn, etc. All the then-OE features were there - ABS of course, ASC, RDC (tyre-pressure), ESA, heated grips. Re-reading the mag article accompanying the ad, I had then just returned from a 3579km trip to Cairns and back from my Brisbane home, a journey I was to repeat many times since then, on a variety of machines, most recently on a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT to Cooktown and back last October.. Happy days!

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I swear LoS, with your current good fortune, you could fall in a sewer and come up with a mouthful of icecream!)
That hasn't been my general experience in life so far, T, but I guess things may change - better hurry up though, not much time left!!

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I can remember all my bikes in every detail, Lawrence. Do you have such a memory problem with your kids too? 🤔
Kidz, Pz, what kidz? I shall have to check with my wife.... But checking again the many pix of my more-than-many bikes I now find that I also had a 2007 R1200 R, same vintage as the 2008 one we're talking about here. This was Crystal White in colour, a pleasant pearlescent finish, but not particularly mobike-friendly. And strangely, I found the pix of this one (too small, b&w, and not worth posting here) in yet another of my many trip tales for the BMW mag, and again it covered the 4506km ride to and from Cooktown in mid-late-ish 2008. I must have just about worn my own groove in that Cairns to Cooktown Mulligan Highway!

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Monday morning, May 25th, and back on the trail of the above-noted 2008 R1200R. I phoned about it just now, and the plot thickens! The owner (Michael) was very surprised when I told him that I was calling about the R1200R ad for sale, saying - his exact words - "is it (the ad) still on?" And later he said it must have been first advertised a year ago or more and he had forgotten all about it! (And you, Pz, imply I have memory problems!). So we chatted in a friendly manner - he said that he is an itinerant tradesman, away from home a lot, which is why the bike is all but unused. He has recent full service records and told me more than once that the condition, apart from a doubtless flat battery is 'as new', even down to the tyres.

We talked price, and he readily agreed that his ask of $13,000 is too much and very negotiable. All moot, of course, for I cannot get to view it, and am not even sure that I'd want a bike that old, no matter what the condition, but... I need to think on 't.

Then there's the R9T to consider, for I had initially thought I might keep that for coffeeing and posing at weekends, using a 1200 for more serious 2-3 day jaunts away, but thinking changes...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts