BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have the BMW sport screen on my 12R. The wind stream seems to hit me at about chin level, no problem at slower speeds but pretty noisy on the highway.
At this point I really don't want to put a high screen on, meaning 19+ inches and I'm thinking about trying the Cee Bailey sport screen, which is 4" taller than the BMW sport screen. For $100 it might be worth a try, anyone have experience with it?
My other option is to try the BMW touring screen, but at $500 it's an expensive shot in the dark. Experiences with it anyone? :icon_scratch:

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
You forgot Option E: remove any and all infernal windshields and return the bike to stock. Enjoy the clean flow of smooth, quiet air and let your slight forward lean take care of any windblast concerns, the way God and BMW intended.

I punted my Sport Screen after one ride and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Not really answering your question, but I have the gen 3 CB 19 inch and I love it. I do mostly long distance solo, often cross country, so my riding may differ from yours.
I am 5'8" on a long day, 33" sleeve and 32 inch inseam. The wind hits the very top of my helmet, in other words I can open my visor and not have much wind difference on me. I'm more into function than style, though, obviously different riding demands different function.

It keeps most of the bugs off of my visor and I like the way it looks
This is a side shot ( on Ca 101 a couple of weeks ago)

If you want any other angles, just say
John

·
Registered
598 Posts
Brian,

There are so many variables involved in screen selection that advice you get is not likely to be any more than general. For an idea of the variables, read my March 7, 2013, post in this thread: BMW R1200R R1150R/T F800 K1200R R1100R/T Message Board • View topic - Screens compared

I use the BMW touring screen bracket wearing a 16" Cee Bailey screen. It's tall enough to provide some protection in cold and rain, and short enough to not be too hot in hot weather nor visually obtrusive:

Many of us have found that inclining the screen more than BMW intended removes much or all of the buffeting that often accompanies screens. This is pretty easy to do on the 07-10 bikes by adding, say, a 1" block underneath the lower mount just above the headlight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the BMW touring windshield on my bike. Generally it works okay for me. However a few weeks ago heading home on interstate running 75-80mph I was surprised the buffeting when I was behind semi's, suv's or rv's. Most cars didn't seem to effect the ride much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's supposed to be a Roadster...a naked bike! You know, as in no fairings/windshields? You wouldn't strip Miss July completely naked only to make her wear a pith helmet to complete the fantasy, would you?

Wait. That's right, everyone here likes freaky German shtuff.

Ummm...never mind!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
It's supposed to be a Roadster...a naked bike! You know, as in no fairings/windshields? You wouldn't strip Miss July completely naked only to make her wear a pith helmet to complete the fantasy, would you?

Wait. That's right, everyone here likes freaky German shtuff.

Ummm...never mind!
I'll make a deal with you, SRG, if Ms. July stands in front of my bike asking for a ride, I will take my Ztech off my bike and go naked. Until then I will keep the screen on to dodge wind bullets off Lake Michigan and prevent myself from being hit by Big Mac wrappers from sweating, cheese-fry-eating middle managers commuting into Chicago for their elective colonoscopies. . .

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
what he ^^^^ said. Add rocks and big bugs to the mix.

Miss July in a pith helmet, maybe not, but miss August? You betcha.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You forgot Option E: remove any and all infernal windshields and return the bike to stock. Enjoy the clean flow of smooth, quiet air and let your slight forward lean take care of any windblast concerns, the way God and BMW intended.

I punted my Sport Screen after one ride and never looked back.
Looks great, quiet air .... I gotta agree ... falls down on protection though, but thanks for the reminder Stevie!
Brian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really answering your question, but I have the gen 3 CB 19 inch and I love it. I do mostly long distance solo, often cross country, so my riding may differ from yours.
I am 5'8" on a long day, 33" sleeve and 32 inch inseam. The wind hits the very top of my helmet, in other words I can open my visor and not have much wind difference on me. I'm more into function than style, though, obviously different riding demands different function.

It keeps most of the bugs off of my visor and I like the way it looks
This is a side shot ( on Ca 101 a couple of weeks ago)

If you want any other angles, just say
John
Looks good Dr. S! 19" doesn't look so high on yours. I do want to try something a little shorter, hence maybe the cee bailey sport. It'll also fit the BMW sport mount, which I already have.
Brian

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
This is is a side shot ( on Ca 101 a couple of weeks ago)
Just tried to PM you, Dr, but the system wouldn't accept it.

What make/ brand/ model are the hand-guards on your bike, please. I wonder of they would fit my 012 model - they appear from side-on to be identical to the OE on my last GS...

L of S

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Don't know why you couldn't pm me, unless there's a hemisphere filter on? Just checked and I have PM'ing enabled, so I don't know why?

They are GS handguards and they work just fine. Like them a lot. And they allow a throttlemeister to work also.
Those are 800 mirrors.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Don't know why you couldn't pm me, unless there's a hemisphere filter on? Just checked and I have PM'ing enabled, so I don't know why?
Thanks - just tried PM-ing again - same (no) response. Should I try writing upside-down? Or have your medico credentials expired?

Whatever - I thought some time ago that my dealer told me that the GS units won't fit my '012 R - I'll check with them again.

L of S

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Having tried them all, at 5'10," 180lbs, (+ or-; but mostly +), here is my personal survey-

Naked- no noise or buffeting, but no protection either, making it impractical in winter months and tiring on long distance rides at speed regardless of the season; looks good;

OEM-Sport-only slightly better protection than naked, but noisier. Might as well go naked;

OEM Touring- the right amount of protection but loud and buffets; so I'm worn out on longer rides at speed for different reasons (earplugs solve the noise issue but not the buffeting); the Sport is better looking; naked is better looking still;

ZTecnik- at least as noisy as the OEM, too much protection for me, especially in the warmer months, and grows increasingly less atractive as the sizes grow-IMHO;

CeeB's- See ZTecnik above, add some more ugly- again, IMHO;

Cal Sci- see CeeB above.

Wunderlich Trophy- Wunderbar; good protection (only slightly less than the OEM Touring), no noise or buffeting and the best looking of all options, even the naked option - yet again, IMHO. (Caveat-you may have to sell your bike to pay for it).

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
(Caveat-you may have to sell your bike to pay for it).
+1 las :funnypost:You have a way with words, Sir. In general, I agree with your assessments. Selling the bike may be over the top. Just 1 kidney should do it.:D
I chase half a dozen R1200RS down the toll road when the BMW club rides. Speed limits are not observed. Hardly enforced. A day outing with no windscreen is abuse. Until a few years ago, I never used a screen. Guess I'm just getting soft.
Still agree naked looks best.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
what he ^^^^ said. Add rocks and big bugs to the mix.

Miss July in a pith helmet, maybe not, but miss August? You betcha.
A windshield is definitely a must down here on the Florida/Georgia border where these infernal lovebugs make a mess of my windscreen; much better than all over my body.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey Sport on my R1200R Classic. Not sure how tall you are but I'm 5'11'' and while good for taking the wind off my chest, I'm still getting hit on the helmet by the wind blast. I ride using ear plugs if I'm planning highway speeds, and carry a cloth for bug removal of my visor. It is perfect sized for tucking behind for short periods though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 07 had a Givi screen on it when I bought it and I thought I would take it off,it has grown on me in fact I like it alot.
I'm 6'2" and the wind hits the top of my helmet.
I look over not through the screen,less wind noise and reasonmable protection.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback guys. I emailed Cee Bailey directly and asked them how it performed for someone 5'10", they replied that I would not be happy with it at highway speeds.
So, I'll need to keep looking. I'm realizing just how much wind noise the BMW sport screen is pushing to my helmet, I'm probably better with nothing for now.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd agree with LAS. I have the Wunderlich cafe screen and love the looks and am amazed at how much protection it provides. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny to me.

Also agree with others that the BMW sport screen is useless.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts