BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please recommend a winter glove that will keep my claws warn and most important dry on a 2+ hour ride. I have heated grips and hand-guards.

Requirements:
1) Waterproof - Gore-Tex preferred
2) Warm - should be warm enough on a 2+ hour ride on above 32`F, or 0'C
3) Protection - should have as much armor as possible
4) Maintain dexterity to the extend possible
5) Preferably leather construction.
6) Might be heated.

I realize it might be impossible to have all of the requirements satisfied.

Background: I used Tour Master Cold-Tex 3.0 Gloves for a few winter riding seasons (very brief), and found them OK in 40`F, and leaking water after about 30 minutes in rain. Gloves don't maintain shape well, it gets very difficult to put on when palms are damp, and Velcro frays the outside of fingertips.

From specification standpoint, a few gloves stood-out: Klim BADLANDS GTX LONG GLOVE, and Richa Extreme 2 Gore-Tex. It is impossible to find either glove locally right now, and Richa is not readily available in US.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Nice thing about muffs: They keep you drier. They hold in the grip warmer heat to heat your whole hand. You can keep wearing your summer gloves.
I reluctantly added those to my wish list :) I'm sure this will do the trick, but IMHO, these do look ridiculous. When I get over the more or less certain fact that nothing else ticks all the boxes, I'll get over myself, and buy these :) In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

• Haha
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Nice thing about muffs: They keep you drier. They hold in the grip warmer heat to heat your whole hand. You can keep wearing your summer gloves.

Similar idea: Barkbusters Blizzard on an R1200R - review from Revzilla.com. It does look as "sexy" as I expected :/

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: equ and r0ckrat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Style vs Comfort, or why women wear 6" stilletos... LOL!
Or these: in China, people cover fronts of scoters with adorable and massively dorky blankets...

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Window Vehicle

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not just get a warm pair of gloves and pair them with covers. https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers
i bought these in the spring but haven't ridden in the rain since. in general i've been happy with their products in the past.
klim makes a nice glove - i have the vanguard.
Their gloves don't have any protection/armor.
unfortunately, Klim glove I'm interested in, is out of stock right now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: manitou

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I swear by my Held GoreTex leather gloves with Primaloft insulation, with heated liners underneath plugged into a heated jacket. I'm in Canada and ride in sub-freezing temps at this time of year. Also, heated grips and BarkBuster Storm guards. I'm good to about -10C. Below that. I'd be lookin' at heated snowmobile gloves.

Tried muffs (Tucano Urbano polyamide hand grip covers) a few years ago, but didn't like the feeling of having my hands trapped inside. They were warm and waterproof though, especially with the grip heaters on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I swear by my Held GoreTex leather gloves with Primaloft insulation, with heated liners underneath plugged into a heated jacket. I'm in Canada and ride in sub-freezing temps at this time of year. Also, heated grips and BarkBuster Storm guards. I'm good to about -10C. Below that. I'd be lookin' at heated snowmobile gloves.
thank you! Wouldn’t oy mind sharing the model number of the Held gloves?

It rarely gets that cold in my neck of the woods, and I won’t be riding in at that time anyway. Right down to 0’C is good enough for me. I’m not crazy about heated gloves, but I’m slowly coming to realization that it might be inevitable.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
thank you! Wouldn’t oy mind sharing the model number of the Held gloves?

It rarely gets that cold in my neck of the woods, and I won’t be riding in at that time anyway. Right down to 0’C is good enough for me. I’m not crazy about heated gloves, but I’m slowly coming to realization that it might be executable.
Sorry, they're a few years old, and I can't find a model name or number on any of the labels. Similar to these ...

I'm an old geezer, who used to be able to handle cold hands, but sadly no longer. Circulation not what it used to be, I guess. Heated glove liners inside waterproof gloves, combined with heated grips, are awesome. Heated grips are nice for cool summer days, especially in the rain, but when it's really cold, the liners keep the backs of my hands nice and warm. Handguards help, but below a certain point even large ones like Storms aren't enough.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
66 Posts
Please recommend a winter glove that will keep my claws warn and most important dry on a 2+ hour ride. I have heated grips and hand-guards.

Requirements:
1) Waterproof - Gore-Tex preferred
2) Warm - should be warm enough on a 2+ hour ride on above 32`F, or 0'C
3) Protection - should have as much armor as possible
4) Maintain dexterity to the extend possible
5) Preferably leather construction.
6) Might be heated.

I realize it might be impossible to have all of the requirements satisfied.

Background: I used Tour Master Cold-Tex 3.0 Gloves for a few winter riding seasons (very brief), and found them OK in 40`F, and leaking water after about 30 minutes in rain. Gloves don't maintain shape well, it gets very difficult to put on when palms are damp, and Velcro frays the outside of fingertips.

From specification standpoint, a few gloves stood-out: Klim BADLANDS GTX LONG GLOVE, and Richa Extreme 2 Gore-Tex. It is impossible to find either glove locally right now, and Richa is not readily available in US.
I use Gerbing 12v wired gloves (they do battery packs but they look too bulky) and they are hot - too hot on the highest setting! https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motorcycle-heated-gloves. Hopefully you can find them listed Stateside somewhere, but I am very happy with them and they tick all your list above.

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use Gerbing 12v wired gloves (they do battery packs but they look too bulky) and they are hot - too hot on the highest setting! https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motorcycle-heated-gloves. Hopefully you can find them listed Stateside somewhere, but I am very happy with them and they tick all your list above.

Regards, Pete.
thank you for recommendation! Not every model is available, but we have them here as well. How are these in the rain?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, they're a few years old, and I can't find a model name or number on any of the labels. Similar to these ...

I'm an old geezer, who used to be able to handle cold hands, but sadly no longer. Circulation not what it used to be, I guess. Heated glove liners inside waterproof gloves, combined with heated grips, are awesome. Heated grips are nice for cool summer days, especially in the rain, but when it's really cold, the liners keep the backs of my hands nice and warm. Handguards help, but below a certain point even large ones like Storms aren't enough.
It is a serious glove! Thank you for recommendation!

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
66 Posts
thank you for recommendation! Not every model is available, but we have them here as well. How are these in the rain?
They are waterproof, but being a soft leather shell, I regularly buff with saddle soap and the water beads / runs off in the rain. Their blurb says:-

Waterproof/windproof/breathable Hipora® liner to provide protection from wind and rain. As with all leather goods, we recommend treating your gloves regularly with a leather protector such as Nikwax. This not only extends the life of your heated glove but also helps to keep the outer layer water-resistant.

·
Registered
156 Posts
From specification standpoint, a few gloves stood-out: Klim BADLANDS GTX LONG GLOVE,
I have those. I chose them because they had them at the local BMW dealer & they fit well. Really nice in some ways, but they aren't a perfect match for your criteria or mine.

I was replacing a worn out pair of BMW 2-in-1 gloves, and with some insulation I expected the Klim gloves to be warmer, but I didn't find them warmer. At freeway speed, with heated gloves & hand guards, the minimum comfortable temperature for both gloves seemed to be the same. Mid-40s F for me at 80MPH, so not as low as you're looking for. Not as low as I wanted either.

I wear heated gloves when it's colder. But I'd rather stick with a supple unheated glove as long as is comfortable.

The BMW gloves was comfortable to much warmer than the Klim glove.

I was interested in the Held Twin (which I hoped would fit the same as the BMW 2-in-1), but couldn't find them here. I expect them to be similar to the BMW 2 in 1, or the Held Air n Dry, except with some insulation for the warm compartment. Hopefully comfortable to colder, but who knows?

·
Registered
156 Posts
why not just get a warm pair of gloves and pair them with covers. https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers
I have the triple digit covers in orange. They're pretty good, for situations you don't mind a lobster claw cover. I don't want them when riding in traffic as I'd like to keep a finger on the levers.

The others are an XXL dish washing glove. I'm skeptical about them fitting over my cold weather motorcycle gloves, but I guess it doesn't cost much to find out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have those. I chose them because they had them at the local BMW dealer & they fit well. Really nice in some ways, but they aren't a perfect match for your criteria or mine.

I was replacing a worn out pair of BMW 2-in-1 gloves, and with some insulation I expected the Klim gloves to be warmer, but I didn't find them warmer. At freeway speed, with heated gloves & hand guards, the minimum comfortable temperature for both gloves seemed to be the same. Mid-40s F for me at 80MPH, so not as low as you're looking for. Not as low as I wanted either.

I wear heated gloves when it's colder. But I'd rather stick with a supple unheated glove as long as is comfortable.

The BMW gloves was comfortable to much warmer than the Klim glove.

I was interested in the Held Twin (which I hoped would fit the same as the BMW 2-in-1), but couldn't find them here. I expect them to be similar to the BMW 2 in 1, or the Held Air n Dry, except with some insulation for the warm compartment. Hopefully comfortable to colder, but who knows?
Hmm, interesting. I looked at BMW 2-in-1, and from the photos they look to be bulky. I suppose if Klim gloves won’t keep me warm below 45’F, there is not much point in buying those anyway, except maybe for the waterproof factor. That said, I’d need to schedule a trip to BMW dealer near me to see how the gloves fit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts