BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
They are waterproof, but being a soft leather shell, I regularly buff with saddle soap and the water beads / runs off in the rain. Their blurb says:-

Waterproof/windproof/breathable Hipora® liner to provide protection from wind and rain. As with all leather goods, we recommend treating your gloves regularly with a leather protector such as Nikwax. This not only extends the life of your heated glove but also helps to keep the outer layer water-resistant.
Another option is Sno Seal, or other beeswax-based product. I've been using Sno Seal on boots and gloves for years; in fact, I'm about to re-do my hunting boots after a long wet canoe trip.

·
Registered
213 Posts
or the Held Air n Dry, except with some insulation for the warm compartment. Hopefully comfortable to colder, but who knows?
I have those (mighty expensive though), but they're not a winter glove at all. I expected the GoreTex membrane to protect from wind better, but those gloves are only good to around 50F. But since you have hand guards, I'm sure they'd be fine at lower temperatures on your bike. But definitely not close to freezing.

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have the triple digit covers in orange. They're pretty good, for situations you don't mind a lobster claw cover. I don't want them when riding in traffic as I'd like to keep a finger on the levers.

The others are an XXL dish washing glove. I'm skeptical about them fitting over my cold weather motorcycle gloves, but I guess it doesn't cost much to find out.
It might be too difficult t
I have those (mighty expensive though), but they're not a winter glove at all. I expected the GoreTex membrane to protect from wind better, but those gloves are only good to around 50F. But since you have hand guards, I'm sure they'd be fine at lower temperatures on your bike. But definitely not close to freezing.
I’m riding in vented leather summer gloves in about 60’F, and it is fine. It gets bad in the rain though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I hear you; it's hard to get me out of my Knox Orsa Leather MK2 gloves too. Ha ha. I honestly feel very little difference when I put the other ones, so use them most of the time, since I rarely ride below 60F. And I always ride in my shorty vented TCX X-Cube boots, and never feel cold feet either. Anyway, I'll never buy again the Held Air&Dry gloves, since they're tight in the inner position, the venting is only on the palm, and the GoreTex membrane leaves a lot to be desired on those gloves IMO. I like my Held Steve Classic gloves, but should have ordered them in 10L, as the 9L fit like a stocking (too tight). Oh well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mittens are by far the warmest. I have yet to find a decent pair of gloves for cold weather, but have never tried heated gloves.
Ken

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I looked at several heated gloves options available at a major HD dealer. Olympia, Joe Rocket, Oxhdord, some other brand I Don’t remember… none were comfortable enough to justify $300+ investment and running wires everywhere…

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, since that puny BMW socket wouldn't be able to deliver the amps needed, right? What's the limit for that circuit? Thx.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, since that puny BMW socket wouldn't be able to deliver the amps needed, right? What's the limit for that circuit? Thx.
I love my Gerbings.
I use a jacket liner and gloves and never a power issue.
I have a duel controller mounted on the gps mount for convince.

- Michael

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, I knew that. Ha ha. They have a ridiculous rating, but was just curious how many amps. I'm only going to use it to charge my phone, so it'll be good for that. I think it's main purpose is to connect to a BMW charger, but I already installed a pigtail to the battery to use my trusted Optimate6.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, I knew that. Ha ha. They have a ridiculous rating, but was just curious how many amps. I'm only going to use it to charge my phone, so it'll be good for that. I think it's main purpose is to connect to a BMW charger, but I already installed a pigtail to the battery to use my trusted Optimate6.
My bike came with a pig tail in place, which I use for the charger.
I use the socket for phone charging only thus far.

- Michael

·
Registered
651 Posts
The accessory socket is limited to 5amps. The RT gets a 10 amp socket - lucky bahsteds.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thank you for that info. That was my guess, but was hoping it'd be 10A, like the RT. Definitely too low for a BMW meant to be able to tour on it. Maybe enough for just one heated clothing piece (gloves, vest, etc). The RT should definitely be fine with 10A. Fortunately for me, I only need it to charge my phone.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Please recommend a winter glove that will keep my claws warn and most important dry on a 2+ hour ride. I have heated grips and hand-guards.

Requirements:
1) Waterproof - Gore-Tex preferred
2) Warm - should be warm enough on a 2+ hour ride on above 32`F, or 0'C
3) Protection - should have as much armor as possible
4) Maintain dexterity to the extend possible
5) Preferably leather construction.
6) Might be heated.

I realize it might be impossible to have all of the requirements satisfied.

Background: I used Tour Master Cold-Tex 3.0 Gloves for a few winter riding seasons (very brief), and found them OK in 40`F, and leaking water after about 30 minutes in rain. Gloves don't maintain shape well, it gets very difficult to put on when palms are damp, and Velcro frays the outside of fingertips.

From specification standpoint, a few gloves stood-out: Klim BADLANDS GTX LONG GLOVE, and Richa Extreme 2 Gore-Tex. It is impossible to find either glove locally right now, and Richa is not readily available in US.
The mid 2010s I commuted full-time by moto. 2005 we had a very wet Winter season, and I gave up on finding the perfect mitts.
I finally got some water-proof "over the glove covers" from Aerostich.com. That way I could avoid having a lot of extra crap to deal with, they did keep my hands dry (although it's not ideal for dexterity), and I could stow them when I didn't need them.
I wore my usual cold weather glove gear, a pair of Helimot Buffalo Pro gloves with a pair of silk liners underneath. With grip heaters they are plenty toasty. Helimot not cheap, but will last you for a long time. I don't know what is UP with Helimot, as they have been Sold Out whenever I visit his site. It's a shame that a couple of the best glove makers are either kaput, or changed due to manufacturing costs (Held Gloves) and "Ain't what they used to be."

If you have a BMW dealer near you, you might want to check these out. Not cheap, due to the BMW Brand label... BMW 2-in-1 Gore-Tex Gloves - RevZilla

·
Registered
213 Posts
Darn, I didn't know about those gloves. They're basically the Held Air & Dry gloves I have, but better and $100 cheaper. I'm disappointed at these Helds, as they're wearing out way sooner than they should. Next time hope to find those BMW ones (all sold out). Maybe Held is making them for BMW? So what happened with Held? Was it sold, and that's why my gloves are now crap? Didn't know that. Thx.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I stopped-by a BMW dealer, and looked at 2-in-1 gloves. Unfortunately they didn’t have my size… sales rep said BMW is updating their lineup, and won’t be available until later in the year, as late as December…

21 - 36 of 36 Posts