BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike is a '12 R1200R

Been mulling this idea, digging around for any info i can lay hands on. Hear me out:

Rigging up a remote to the bike without using a Mo-Door or Flash2Pass, or without adding a toggle switch, is the proposal. What do you need? Well, a little solder, a remote opener, and a momentary switch to start. We all have one built in to the bike already- the hi beam flash switch. How often do you use it? Me, maybe once a year... and why couldn't I just flip the hi beam on and off? Do i really need a momentary on switch for it??? Nope. Not me.

So here's where I want to see if any of you geeks and geniuses have scratched together the same plan. I want to use the hi beam flash switch to trigger the remote. I get the whole rewiring the remote side- and I can't see how it would be tricky to do this. But I ain't in the genius bracket, not yet anyway. Smart enough to ask for input though! Any one got a thought on this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Year and model of your bike would help the uber-geeks who know this stuff and may respond. If yours Canbus, it might add extra layers of, er, fun to your project.
A friend has both his cars wired up using the headlight flashers to do exactly that for his driveway gate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year and model of your bike would help the uber-geeks who know this stuff and may respond. If yours Canbus, it might add extra layers of, er, fun to your project.
A friend has both his cars wired up using the headlight flashers to do exactly that for his driveway gate.
Absolutely, duh of me. Edited post, its a 2012 R1200R.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
It’s an idea that has crossed my mind too. Mine’s an LC so I can’t be definitive, but if you could track the wires to somewhere suitable to tap into the switch output lead, you could run a relay off that to close your garage remote terminals.
An easier option may be to install a momentary switch say under the seat on the RHS (so you can keep the clutch pulled while you actuate it) and power it from the accessory outlet circuit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought about a nice, tidy, obscure momentary switch somewhere on the bike. Would be much easier, but then... the challenge... it beckons...

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the 2012 has the same wiring as the 2011, then the flash switch and the hi beam switch are connected internally so you don't have a separate pin for the momentary switch.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
If the 2012 has the same wiring as the 2011, then the flash switch and the hi beam switch are connected internally so you don't have a separate pin for the momentary switch.
In that case, any relay attached to the flasher is effectively connected to the high beam, meaning the relay will be closed whenever the high beam is on - ergo, you are defeated in this endeavour, I believe.

A momentary switch mounted elsewhere would seem to be the only sensible solution.

I’ve toyed with the idea over the years but it hasn’t made my top five tasks so hasn’t been pursued. My fall-back is a remote with large buttons in my jacket pocket (one in each of my main jackets). I’ve programmed both buttons on each remote to open the garage, so it isn’t too hard to find one. Not as elegant as the headlight flasher solution though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This was my solution - attach a remote control into the hand guard. If no hand guard, there must be other places to store this - eg using velcro onto steering head

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
The risk with that approach, Anthony, is security. If someone knows your bike (e.g. parked in the same place regularly) and determines where you live (tail you home) they could potentially nick the remote and gain unauthorised access to your garage.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
The risk with that approach, Anthony, is security. If someone knows your bike (e.g. parked in the same place regularly) and determines where you live (tail you home) they could potentially nick the remote and gain unauthorised access to your garage.
Never in Oz surely, Pz?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
This was my solution - attach a remote control into the hand guard. If no hand guard, there must be other places to store this - eg using velcro onto steering head.
My micro-sized garage remote is clipped very firmly into a small holder on the 'bar's lhs, and it's the easiest thing to quickly slide it out and pocket it if I'm away from the bike and it's out of sight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Perhaps I should consider using a re-usable cable tie that you introduced to us in the famous toolkit discussion.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Never in Oz surely, Pz?
Our jails are 50% oversubscribed (and penalties often appear modest anyway).

This fact, plus the self-centredness we’ve seen in the response to COVID-19 has lowered my estimation of the Australian population in general.

There remain a few good people among us though, Lawrence, which is somewhat heartening.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Our jails are 50% oversubscribed (and penalties often appear modest anyway).

This fact, plus the self-centredness we’ve seen in the response to COVID-19 has lowered my estimation of the Australian population in general.

There remain a few good people among us though, Lawrence, which is somewhat heartening.

I am with you 100%, Pz. There are some totally selfish and stupid behaviours going on. A recent news report showed a wedding with (guessing) some 60 plus attendees, all - as Newspeak would record - of 'middle eastern appearance'. Pleece attending chose to take no action, it was said, doubtless concerned lest knives, guns, and knuckle-dusters be broken-out, especially by the bride and her bridesmaids. Here in sunny Q'ld - holiday Mecca that it is - numerous gatherings of backpackers are trying everyone's patience, but again little action taken. I know that backpackers - by definition largely from overseas - are here mainly for a good time, and good on 'em at that, but if they cannot live by our rules they should be sent back whence they came. Somewhat to the right of Genghis Khan, I am - and no apologies!

And, following the fine example of herdy-gerdy, I chose not to take the R9T on my GP visit today, just in case. The roads were all but deserted, and I saw only two mobikes out on this fine, sunny, 30 deg C day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine works through the indicator cancel switch.

A technician at my then workplace was kind enough to attach wires to a normal remote opener, which I entombed in a small plastic box in silicon gel. This was connected through a PDM60 (which also handles a higher-amperage auxillary outlet, extra horn, extra lights). It was some years ago now, but I think the PDM60 was programmed to cater for a 1-second plus push of the indicator cancel switch.

Needless to say, someone more competent than I put it all together.

It has worked perfectly, although it will require some fiddling when the remote's battery wears out.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts