BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘m currently assessing my options (none is cheap! :) ) and one of the used bikes in my area is from 2016 with essentially no ridden miles on it…

I’m seeing the bike this weekend, but wanted to get your feedback to be best prepared.

Question goes two folds:
  • Is there a major risk to buy such a bike since some parts may have worn out completely in the 5 yeas storage period? What parts should I check? Even tires may have developed a flat spot…
  • What immediate servicing would you recommend? Fluids may have clogged, or gone wrong in the waiting process.
All comments are welcome,

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If the odometer is to be believed, it's probably never been serviced, or at most once very early on.

If I bought it, I'd certainly replace all the fluids, including fork oil, replace the tires (flat spots or no), check all the rubber parts for cracks, etc, and probably run some injector cleaner through in the first tank of gas. I'd also want a really believable and verifiable story about its history. Who spends that amount of money on something and never uses it, assuming they're still alive?? I know there can be valid reasons for 250 miles in 5 years, but I'd sure want to hear and believe them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plenty of red flags here. I would ask very focused questions re why it was only ridden for 250 miles, why it was stored so long, etc. What is the "born on" date of the tires? Mechanically, it may just need fluids changed, unless it is carburated - then the carb(s) would need a thorough cleaning. FI? Likely the fuel pump/injectors need servicing. Environmental issues? Where was it stored since 2016? Same place or various places? Humidity? Temperature? Corrosive gasses/materials in the area? Check in hidden areas for signs of discoloration. Remove a nut/bolt to see if dissimilar metals (aluminum/steel) have caused the threads to corrode in place. Above all, curb your enthusiasm and trust your gut re the seller's story and the real condition of the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would be high on my buy list. I personally like it when dealers haven't been near a bike and messed with it. Fluids changed it will be good to go. Possibly tyres. But, my views are based on a UK climate where we don't have extremes. If it has been stored properly then I would rather have a low mile anything than normal miles with all the accompanying road rash, dealer mess ups etc.

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff here! Thanks guys.

I went through the driving license course again last week (after 10y out of ridding). One of the guys (had never ridden before) already had a Ducati waiting in his garage: ;)

I can totally see this happening to him too...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would buy it. To echo what cmac said, less people, including dealers had their hands on it, the better for me.

Earlier in the year I bought a 2008 HD Sportster with on 1000km since new. These type of things happen, in this instance the motorcycle was bought and places in a bar as a decorative piece.

Just change all the fluids, including brake fluid and you are ready to go. Like others have mentioned, just check the tyres. Even though there might not be any cracks, tyres tend to harden with age.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
These type of things happen, in this instance the motorcycle was bought and places in a bar as a decorative piece.
I've been in plenty of "biker" bars and I've never seen a brand-new motorcycle, especially a BMW, used as a decoration 🤣 🤣 Closest I've seen is an espresso joint in Vancouver that has an old Vespa scooter. Anything is possible, I guess.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've been in plenty of "biker" bars and I've never seen a brand-new motorcycle, especially a BMW, used as a decoration 🤣 🤣 Closest I've seen is an espresso joint in Vancouver that has an old Vespa scooter. Anything is possible, I guess.
I've seen Ducatis on walls in high-end homes... No joke.

Like others have said, service it and replace the tires. Unfortunately it will probably be out of warranty, even with mileage that low.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
The shelf life of tires is 6 yrs from their birth date. I bought a low mileage 2007 Rocket in 2015 with expired Avons which had plenty of tread but which felt harder riding than I would have expected. I replaced them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I‘m currently assessing my options (none is cheap! :) ) and one of the used bikes in my area is from 2016 with essentially no ridden miles on it…

I’m seeing the bike this weekend, but wanted to get your feedback to be best prepared.

Question goes two folds:
  • Is there a major risk to buy such a bike since some parts may have worn out completely in the 5 yeas storage period? What parts should I check? Even tires may have developed a flat spot…
  • What immediate servicing would you recommend? Fluids may have clogged, or gone wrong in the waiting process.
I would buy it if it looks like it was stored indoors, the story of why it was parked sounded reasonable, and selling at at a substantial price discount. Then:

• change all of the fluids that can be changed except maybe the clutch. Do the OCD brake fluid change where you push the pistons back and cycle the ABS pump.
  • drain and dispose any gas in the tank and replacing with fresh gas
  • put Seafoam in the tank with the fresh gas
  • clean and inspect the exposed chrome fork legs for anything stuck on them that will tear the seals
  • replace the age hardened tires. Seriously. Don't even try to get away without doing this.
  • budget for a new battery because the OEM battery probably won't last very long
  • after every ride inspect it very carefully. Seals that sit idle for a long time can adhere to the mating surface causing the seal lip to tear and leak.

This is not idle speculation. I once bought a gorgeous R1100SA Light that only accumulated 1300 miles in the seven years the previous owner had it.

In other words if you are not an experienced mechanic you should probably avoid it. Sitting idle for five - six years is bad for complex machines.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This was a private home bar. People can do and buy funny things especially if there is some potential tax benefit.

Of all the R1200 models, the roadsters most often have the lowest mileage when compared to the more popular GS and RT models from the same age.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Question goes two folds:
I bought an 06 Ducati Sport 1000 in 2010 with 300 miles on the clock.
A collector was selling his bikes and this one along with several other Ducati’s’ we’re on the floor of a Harley showroom in CT. Harley dealer was a friend of the seller. They’d been a year on the floor. The shift lever was missing. I offered $6000, loaded it into my van and took it home.
Took it to my dealer to check out. Changed fluids only I think.
Put 40,000 miles on it and sold last year due to arthritis. Sold for $9000.

Plant Tire Building Wheel Window

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've seen Ducatis on walls in high-end homes... No joke.
I believe ya. There's a house near me that has a glassed-in front porch containing an immaculate Harley on a pedestal. Finally, after seeing it many times, I spied someone outside the house, so I asked. Turns out it was his deceased brother's bike, in lieu of a traditional cemetery plot and headstone. The deceased brother was on a shelf above the bike. I've never understood the whole ashes-in-an-urn thing, but it was kinda moving to see, nonetheless.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘19 C650GT
88 Posts
If the price is right I’d buy the bike in a heartbeat, replace the battery and all fluids like everyone suggests, and enjoy it. Unless they’re visibly cracked or dry-rotted, I wouldn’t worry about replacing the tires as long as you don’t take it to the track.

I have a brand new 2004 Honda CB50R on display in my living room. It’s never been started, never had gas in its tank, never been sat on. It’s not really a bike I’d want to actually ride — basically, it’s art.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
216 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What is the asking price? That makes a big difference.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Tough call. You can buy a gently ridden, fully serviced and nicely farkled one for that or less which might actually be preferable.

Maybe if you can get him significantly down on price, or get him to include a full service with all fluids, tires, battery, maybe some warranty. The dealer is not ignorant of the potential issues involved.

Kind of like a 40 year old virgin, pros & cons.

No help here, Dave

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tough call. You can buy a gently ridden, fully serviced and nicely farkled one for that or less which might actually be preferable.

Maybe if you can get him significantly down on price, or get him to include a full service with all fluids, tires, battery, maybe some warranty. The dealer is not ignorant of the potential issues involved.

Kind of like a 40 year old virgin, pros & cons.

No help here, Dave
Yes, it is a tough call.

I have plenty of good reasons to lower the price, tires, fluids and servicing the fork. That’s $1.5k already. I’m thinking of getting it closer to $10k.

It also isn’t insured anymore. Was able to start but not drive it. All dash lights were ON (ABS, engine check…). The guy (private party, owns a car shop) said they disappear as soon as you start driving it. I need to insure it in order to at least get it around the block, which my guess is it won’t be easy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts