BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Was able to start but not drive it. All dash lights were ON (ABS, engine check…).
Was it Engine Check (Warning), or Engine Temperature Low (i.e. not yet warmed up). They look sort of similar except the latter has the word LOW in tiny letters and is in the display, not the upper row of yellow warning lights. I'd worry if it was the former (which is next to the right turn signal indicator). The ABS and ASC lights should go out once the wheels have turned a few times, and the Engine Temp indication in the display will go away once the engine is warmed up a bit.

On my 2016 Roadster, once it's started but before moving, the only yellow warning lights flashing are ABS and ASC, plus the Engine Temp thing in the display. No Engine Warning light.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘19 C650GT
88 Posts
Oil, fluids, and battery: $300 tops. Add another $350 for tires, if needed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, it is a tough call.

I have plenty of good reasons to lower the price, tires, fluids and servicing the fork. That’s $1.5k already. I’m thinking of getting it closer to $10k.

It also isn’t insured anymore. Was able to start but not drive it. All dash lights were ON (ABS, engine check…). The guy (private party, owns a car shop) said they disappear as soon as you start driving it. I need to insure it in order to at least get it around the block, which my guess is it won’t be easy.
You would think the guy would ride it to the end of his driveway to shut off the lights so you know for sure.
I was also thinking $10,000 would be a fair price.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R1200R
61 Posts
did you get an explanation as to why it's been sitting unused all this time? seems like your insurance would cover you - just like it does when you drive someone else's car

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There are lots of used bikes available. You don't NEED this bike. Buy it on YOUR terms or Walk Away.

Cheers, Dave
100%. I believe a deal could be worked out, but it doesn’t need to.

I like the 2016 year model, I like the white color with the red frame, I like the almost low/no mileage.

Because of all this, I do have the patience to work out a deal with the discussed details. But I need to come up with an offer that makes sense. I'm not shooting any dollar amount until all facts are sorted out and I get to build a strong conviction on the opportunity.

Bouncing ideas with this group is both extremely useful and an absolute pleasure.

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
did you get an explanation as to why it's been sitting unused all this time? seems like your insurance would cover you - just like it does when you drive someone else's car
So it had two owners, first owner got deployed just after buying it and must have kept it ~3 years before selling it.

Second and current owner owns a car shop. He liked the bike, bought it, and never managed to get the DL test right. Can't insure it, can't drive it, selling it again.

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You would think the guy would ride it to the end of his driveway to shut off the lights so you know for sure.
I was also thinking $10,000 would be a fair price.
Totally, not buying it with those (blinking) lights on. They do seem to be ABS and traction control.

I'll take it at least around the block before closing that deal. Although, technically it would be smarter to tow it and flush all fluids before we even start the engine... Again, there is no perfect decision here.

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Totally, not buying it with those (blinking) lights on. They do seem to be ABS and traction control.

I'll take it at least around the block before closing that deal. Although, technically it would be smarter to tow it and flush all fluids before we even start the engine... Again, there is no perfect decision here.

If it is the same as the 1250 model, those lamps will reset within a few yards. The engine oil etc will be fine, if you buy it, ride it home and change at your leisure to freshen them up.

Inspect the tyres, if it has been kept in a garage and there’s no cracking, they’ll be fine. If they haven’t been kept inflated you might need to ditch them. Sometimes they go a bit out of true if inflated but sat in the same position for months on end, but often after a little use they are fine again.

It is brand new, but a few years old, no warranty etc – just a matter of price.

·
Registered
348 Posts

View attachment 112757
That's what the dash looks like on both of our 2016 RSs when you press the ignition button .
The RS has the same dash as the R.

Reactions: Nicochau

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had similar low mileage concerns when I bought my 2017 with 865 miles. It was sold new in early 2018, mostly sat for 3.5 years on a battery tender and was just serviced with new fluids. I've put 600 trouble-free miles on it, so far so good. I think as long as the bike was stored well, I'll take the lower mileage.

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am keeping a majority of the suspense alive here, I will only say the conversation with the seller went well. We both compromised a bit on our expectations, but I’m on track to closing that deal this week.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am keeping a majority of the suspense alive here, I will only say the conversation with the seller went well. We both compromised a bit on our expectations, but I’m on track to closing that deal this week.

Stay tuned!
😁 I think that the update in your signature says it all 👍

·
Registered
2016 r1200r
14 Posts
He is asking $11,890. A bit high if you ask me.
In the beginning of this year, I bought a dealer-serviced 2016 r1200r (premium package) with 17k miles for $10,500. I've seen similar prices on lower mileage r12's, some with bags, etc. For that price, and all the things you'll have to do right off the bat, I'm not sure the low mileage means anything. Service records, no shady past, and pretty rock-solid mechanical reputation vs. over-paying for extra low miles and a shady past..not sure I'd do it.

FWIW, get an r12. I've been off bikes for 20 years and so far, I'm having a blast. It's truly an amazing all-around bike.

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi all,

Time for closure and update you guys on the deal. I did exactly what I said I should not do a few posts earlier and I sticked with the deal. 😀

Reasons being:
  • I really like the color with the red frame
  • I really like the fact that the bike is new and no one messed with it before me
  • I really liked the fact that it had all the bells & whistles : keyless, shift pro, Dynamic ESA, cruise control, GPS...
In my occupation as an Enterprise Sales professional, you sometimes just have to take your time and make the deal work. Which is exactly what I did. After a few back and forth, I managed to get the seller down from $11,890 to $10,800 and decided it was ok for me at that point.

I insured and test drove the bike as everyone should do and closed the deal. The test drive was non-eventful as expected, all warnings cleared from the dashboard in seconds and I kept it short and sweet since my confidence in my riding skills wasn't what it was 10 years ago before my long pause.

Knowing the history of the bike, I immediately took it for a full service at a reputable local shop (MetrikMoto in Culver City, CA) who had a deep look at it.

They charged me a hefty $580 but did a full tour of the bike and replaced all fluids (coolant, brakes, motor, drive shaft). Gas was still good after 2 years.

They saved the tires since the rubber was good and the bike apparently spent it's first five years in a garage:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

(As you can see, there is no wear at all since the bike has only 250 miles on them)

The guys at the shop found my story quite amusing since the bike is literally a 5 years old new-bike!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Fuel tank Motor vehicle

(this picture was taken without any cleaning or washing happening)

This afternoon I was able to drive it for the first time in my driveway. :cool:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

Time will tell if it is a good deal or not. I know I am already enjoying it big time. Did my first drive by the ocean, confidence is already back on track.

Only negative note is that I still have to break in my 5 year old bike for another 400 miles! :oops: and those 5000rpm already feel skimpy! Well, it is probably for the better and it will give me time to get into it progressively.

Thanks guys for all the great help during the process. See you soon on the road or in this forum!

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
The Nav V has no known issues AFAIK, and is reasonably priced. The Nav VI is a little faster & brighter and has a few more features that may or may not be useful to you, but also has known battery and possibly some other issues and being the latest is more expensive. I've had a Nav IV, V & VI, they get better as they go, but I've had the battery issue with my VI. It's possible the Nav V is a sweet spot depending on your requirements.

Cheers, Dave

21 - 40 of 44 Posts