BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
If you want a BMW Navigator for the mount there's a used Nav V for sale on the Adventure Rider site for $300 shipped.

Here's another one for $275 shipped.

The BMW Navigators are nice because they integrate with the bike.
Thank you Lee! The bike came with the Navigator v.

First thing I did was to update firmware and maps. Although I don't particularly care for the Garmin interface, to your point I still value the nice integration they built with the bike. Nav V also connects to my phone and bluetooth module.

Now is time to use all those goodies. :)

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The Nav V has no known issues AFAIK, and is reasonably priced. The Nav VI is a little faster & brighter and has a few more features that may or may not be useful to you, but also has known battery and possibly some other issues and being the latest is more expensive. I've had a Nav IV, V & VI, they get better as they go, but I've had the battery issue with my VI. It's possible the Nav V is a sweet spot depending on your requirements.

Cheers, Dave
I did notice Nav V is not the quickest... and it also reminded me of my good old Garmin units. I need to build some real experience with it before making any change or upgrade decision. Happy to read the Nav V is solid!

·
Registered
2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary
10 Posts
Hi all,

Time for closure and update you guys on the deal. I did exactly what I said I should not do a few posts earlier and I sticked with the deal. 😀

Reasons being:
  • I really like the color with the red frame
  • I really like the fact that the bike is new and no one messed with it before me
  • I really liked the fact that it had all the bells & whistles : keyless, shift pro, Dynamic ESA, cruise control, GPS...
In my occupation as an Enterprise Sales professional, you sometimes just have to take your time and make the deal work. Which is exactly what I did. After a few back and forth, I managed to get the seller down from $11,890 to $10,800 and decided it was ok for me at that point.

I insured and test drove the bike as everyone should do and closed the deal. The test drive was non-eventful as expected, all warnings cleared from the dashboard in seconds and I kept it short and sweet since my confidence in my riding skills wasn't what it was 10 years ago before my long pause.

Knowing the history of the bike, I immediately took it for a full service at a reputable local shop (MetrikMoto in Culver City, CA) who had a deep look at it.

They charged me a hefty $580 but did a full tour of the bike and replaced all fluids (coolant, brakes, motor, drive shaft). Gas was still good after 2 years.

They saved the tires since the rubber was good and the bike apparently spent it's first five years in a garage:
View attachment 112834
(As you can see, there is no wear at all since the bike has only 250 miles on them)

The guys at the shop found my story quite amusing since the bike is literally a 5 years old new-bike!
View attachment 112833
(this picture was taken without any cleaning or washing happening)

This afternoon I was able to drive it for the first time in my driveway. :cool:
View attachment 112835

Time will tell if it is a good deal or not. I know I am already enjoying it big time. Did my first drive by the ocean, confidence is already back on track.

Only negative note is that I still have to break in my 5 year old bike for another 400 miles! :oops: and those 5000rpm already feel skimpy! Well, it is probably for the better and it will give me time to get into it progressively.

Thanks guys for all the great help during the process. See you soon on the road or in this forum!
That is really a sharp bike. Good Luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
376 Posts
Congrats on a great, unique find (and I agree, that white-with-red-frame is one of my favorite past color combos)...it should serve well for many years to come.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts