BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after 50 plus years of riding, I am familiar with how much better new sneakers feel as soon they are mounted.
That being said, I was not prepared for how much an improvement my new Michelin Road 5s are over the OE Metzelers.

A few reviewers on YouTube mentioned at slow speed, the 1250R kind of fell into the corner and was a bit heavy feeling.
I also noticed it after purchase and just figured I'd just deal with it. As the mileage increased, this became very noticeable and lately, at 4,000 miles, it took a really firm push on the bars to initiate a turn and required a fair about of force to get through the corner.

I recently swapped bikes with my buddy and his new Super Duke 1290 seemed to turn in and hold the line just by thinking about it. He got off my bike and said no thanks. I thought to myself I am OK with the perceived added stability.
Honestly I was perplexed at why the BMW engineers designed the bike to handle this way.

Yesterday the dealer fitted the new Michelins to my 1250R and it turns in and holds the corner just with a little lean and almost unconscious pressure on the bars. It has truly transformed the bike. I am ecstatic. The only downside is that my cornering speeds have picked up considerably and my comfort level lean angle seems to have increased.
It seems way easier to get into trouble!

My faith has been restored in the suspension geometry, the bike is now perfect!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had the same feeling when I got rid of the michelin road 4 and got the Dunlop Sportsmart MK3. Total different bike, easier cornering, more stable feeling, more grip then the road 4. No more sliding around when looking at the throttle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts