BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all -

I have been experimenting with windshields for my new-to-me 2015 R1200R. It came with a BMW screen (clear, 10"/258mm high and 12"/310mm wide) and an MRA (Typ WVM, smoked, about 15"/382mm high and about 15"/382mm wide). The MRA has the little adjustable lip. Neither of these options worked particularly well for me; I'm 6' tall and I was still getting some turbulence around my helmet. I could feel smoother air if I sat up really tall, but in a normal posture, there was still an unacceptable amount of noise and buffeting by my standards. The MRA windscreen was better than the BMW screen, but was still not great. Better with the little lip adjusted all the way down, but not great in any position

I didn't want a 'barn door' windshield - just to get my helmet in smoother air - but a windshield of some sort would get some pressure off my chest. I came across the WRS windshield on their website and it looked slightly taller than the MRA and it was a relative bargain at $86.45. Here is the link.

I installed the WRS screen the other day. It's generally a good fit - the holes could line up better, but they are closer to correct than those in the MRA windscreen. It's a nice size and it works well - very little buffeting, except when passing a big rig, and it is reasonably quiet and smooth at all of the speeds that I rode - up to about 85mph. Overall, I'm happy with it and with WRS customer service in getting the order out promptly.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

Pete Bansen
Reno, Nevada

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,383 Posts
Thanks Pete. I’ve been waiting for someone to review these, as the design with cutout looked promising. You see a lot of genuine equipment designs these days incorporating air bleed features to reduce turbulence at the lip.

I’m tempted to get one to add to my collection, as @Dougl says (we all have one …) but now living in warmer climes, I’m not sure I need one. I’m currently running a cut down stock (Soort) screen on my 2015.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pete. I’ve been waiting for someone to review these, as the design with cutout looked promising. You see a lot of genuine equipment designs these days incorporating air bleed features to reduce turbulence at the lip.

I’m tempted to get one to add to my collection, as @Dougl says (we all have one …) but now livING in warmer climes, I’m not sure I need one. I’m currently running a cut down stock (Soort) screen on my 2015.
I'm in a warmer climate, too - it may reach 100 today - and the smallish screen should keep enough air moving around me to make life tolerable. I don't notice that much air coming through the cutout (I checked while riding today), but there is some and it seems to work well, so it's all good!

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
3 Posts
I have the WRS Touring screen on my 2016 and it is great for hot weather. If you put a bare hand by your tank when riding you realize the cutout is allowing a nice mellow air flow to flow at your torso. It moves a little at 80 MPH compared to my Wunderlich. I am 5' 11" and have the Wunderlich standard seat and at 80 mph the wind hitting my helmet is less than the Wunderlich.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a very different experience with this windscreen. I bought one after reading this thread and first impression was very noisy above 60 mph. I took it on a longer ride yesterday to a vintage race about 2 hours away, mostly highway. Pretty much same story with much helmet buffeting above 80 mph. I'm 5ft 10 and found it got significantly quieter if I raised myself up by sitting on the rear seat, so may be ok for taller people, but still a long way from naked level of quiet. On the ride home the screen was in my saddlebag, so staying naked for now. Wondering about their taller touring screen but holding my fire until someone else reviews it.

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
3 Posts
Scotto, I'm sorry that I started typing without looking close at pbansen' windshield. I have the touring model and it is a different beast. I'm 70 years old and buffeting kills me. The touring Wunderlich was bad until I added their blade and it still isn't as good as the WRS for me. I live in Southern California and if you aren"t going at least 75 then you are in the way. I'm sorry that I added my two cents and led you astray.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No worries olblue. I often type first and think later:). I have a stack of wndscreens in my shed, it just got a little taller. So the touring model is good?

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,383 Posts
Olblue’s original post edited to add ‘Touring’ to make his experiences clear for new readers.

Reactions: pbansen and Scotto

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
3 Posts
Scotto, the WRS touring works better than the Wunderlich touring windshield for me. At fairly high freeway speeds I would probably need a barn door to be happy. As I mentioned in my first post, I like the soft air that comes through the cut out. It is a nice change in the summer if you run a windshield.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After viewing this thread I placed an order with WRS for a screen. That was 8 days ago. Despite repeated attempts to get any replies from them about delivery, today I have instructed my bank to reverse the payment. Their "customer service" is non existent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The screens are made in Italy, but WRS is an an American company based out of Miami who don't like to answer calls or emails.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
They’re just a distributor. I called and they didn’t answer. It’s probably one guy on who’s on vacation or has Covid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I actually had a good experience with their US customer service line. Their sport windscreen, not so much. There ad copy says: "Thanks to this windscreen the annoying turbulence on the helmet will be eliminated as well as the air on your shoulders..." I say: very noisy above 60 mph and the turbulence gave me blurred vision above 85.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts