BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after a long Winter today I was able to get out for a long ride and evaluate my new subject screen. I will say that for me this screen is perfect solution for me. I'm am 5'9" (on a good day) and the wind hits me just below my helmet, and best of all the screen is quite unlike the BWM touring screen. As I've noted before the quality of the screen is very good and I did not have any fitment issues. On another note while out riding I had to cut my ride short because it appears my cam chain tensioner bolt is leaking oil. :mad:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in case anyone is wondering the following changes were made to this bike:

Wunderlich Mirror Extenders
SW-Motech Evo Mounts
Givi E21 Luggage
Booster Plug
Wunderlich Trophy Fairing
Short Front Turn Signals
Reflectors Removed
European Tail Light
Kaoko Throttle Lock
Canister Removed
Ram GPS Mount
Rear Cowl changed

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I took off the rear reflector assembly it also removed the license plate lamp (its all one piece). The European tail light has license plate illumination built in on the bottom of the lamp so I am 'legal' again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You just HAD to show it in red, didn't you :)

As I looked at the first couple of pix, I thought the setting was familiar. Seeing the IL plate, I'm wondering if these were shot along the Rock River, off Rt 2?

BTW, I really like the clean look of the tail without grab bars or rack.

Chuck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just HAD to show it in red, didn't you :)

As I looked at the first couple of pix, I thought the setting was familiar. Seeing the IL plate, I'm wondering if these were shot along the Rock River, off Rt 2?

BTW, I really like the clean look of the tail without grab bars or rack.

Chuck
Close, Fox River St. Charles.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Excellent timing, Fudge (also excellent pix too - thanks) as I am seriously thinking about getting the 'Trophy' screen. Down here in Australia it's pretty expensive at $850, plus of course the cost of painting - on which, may I say that your painter has done an excellent colour-matching job.

The support brackets also look entirely in keeping with the overall R1200R style - but I do wonder if there is any form of support or bracing of the bottom/ centre part of the fairing where it abuts the front forks: or are the upper brackets sufficient?

Also, if I may - the inside of the fairing facing the rider appears to be painted red too: is this correct?

I have a PUIG Carbono rear hugger on order from the UK (much cheaper than here) and will wait to see how that suits before committing to the Trophy - but I think you've more than half convinced me with your beautiful set-up!

Enjoy it!

L of S

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in the US the fairings come painted in the factory OEM colors. Matches perfectly out of the box.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Here in the US the fairings come painted in the factory OEM colors. Matches perfectly out of the box.
Thanks - I may have to think about ordering from the US. Any recommended resellers from whom I can purchase on-line?

L of S

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Yes, thanks, Fudge - they can only supply an unpainted fairing at AUD$845 (about the same in US$), so I'd be up for at least another cuppla hundred, I'd imagine, for paint.

I've got an enquiry in to a UK distributor who appears from his website to be able to offer factory-paint colours at a pretty attractive cost to me - around $645 all up from a rough conversion - so I'm awaiting his reply.

I'll update later... thanks again.

L of S

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Lawrence, if you want, I will order one for you in your color and ship it to you when it arrives. Pm me to fid a way forward if you wish.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Trophy screen

Lawrence, if you want, I will order one for you in your color and ship it to you when it arrives. Pm me to fid a way forward if you wish.
Thanks very much for the offer, las. I have PM'd you and given my personal
e-mail address as you may find that a bit easier.

Appreciate your help!

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Nice post Fudge, pretty good looking bike you have there.

How do you like the Kaoko Throttle Lock, I'm on a hunt for a throttle lock and can't decide on one.

That is really cool of you LAS :goodjob:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
trophy fairing

Curse you, Fudge, for having tempted me (and no doubt others) with the excellent pix of that fine-looking ‘Trophy’ screen on your R! Now I just gotta have one, but it’s proving tricky. It does not come in my bike’s colour of Montego Blue, as far as I can determine, maybe because this is a new-for-2013 colour (the bike is a 2013 model). So the alternative then is to buy the unpainted silver item and have it spray-painted to match.

I’m now awaiting from a UK supplier advice on the cost - delivered to Oz - of that silver version, and am also getting quotes locally for painting, using your pix to give the painter an idea of the fairing he’s to work on. Big thumbs-up and warm thanks to ‘las’ from this Forum too who has been and still is assisting me with possible sourcing ex USA of a ready-painted unit, if such exists.

I was telling las last night that strangely my first ‘big bike’ – going back to 1998 – was the R1100R Roadster. A mate also had one the same - his cousin was a professional fibreglass racing kayak maker, and he was ‘persuaded’ to try his hand at making a bikini fairing just like the Trophy! He was successful, and so we had two matching R1100s with bikini fairings – it’s a big ask to recall what I paid but I believe it was around $350 then, plus painting (I also had the lids of my BMW hard panniers painted to match – it made for a very striking-looking outfit!).

Since then, 2 x R1150Rs, an 1150GS, 3 x 1200GSs, and now my third 1200R. When will it all end…?

L of S

·
Registered
109 Posts
How do you like the Kaoko Throttle Lock, I'm on a hunt for a throttle lock and can't decide on one.

Friday I pick up my R1200R (FINALLY!) which will have the Throttlemeister on it. After the 600 miles, direct route, home I will have an assessment for you on that. My previous ride had the Kaoka, which worked fine on the Vstrom, but I have nothing else to compare it, too. The Throttlemeister cost more but the fittings are brass and stainless rather than various metals and plastic in other brands. In the scheme of forever the cost can easily be justified, although forever is a really long time, especially near the end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've just installed one of those fairings on my R1200; looks fantastic and I'm ready to try it out (as soon as this weekend dump of lousy weather out of the U.S. goes away, lol). That bike looks great in red; mine's black so colour matching was no problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fudge, sent you a PM about the tail light swap. It looks a lot cleaner, and since I already removed the amber reflectors on the forks, might as well take off the red reflectors in the rear. Appreciate any details on the install, parts, cost, etc. Thanks.

Since I took off the rear reflector assembly it also removed the license plate lamp (its all one piece). The European tail light has license plate illumination built in on the bottom of the lamp so I am 'legal' again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts