BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a near terminal high-speed encounter with a flock of pheasants this morning, my MRA screen did not survive the encounter, but thankfully the rest of the bike and I did, despite one glancing off my arm and another off the side of my crash helmet. The screen took the brunt of at least one direct impact....

Before today I found the MRA worked ok for me, but not that protective against the elements of the inclement British weather. It did give me a fair bit of wind protection that spared my arthritic wrists, however, a bit more would enable me to ride longer distances than my current sub-200 mile max before my neck and wrists can’t take any more.

However I don’t want to do anything to really muck up the bike’s handling (I don’t take the bike above 70mph except to get out of a bad situation), but do sometimes ride in 40-50mph winds, so need a safety margin in that sense.

I’ve looked at the zTechnik VStream screens and like the polycarbonate construction to give me more robust protection against more suicide chickens (or pheasants to some). A bird conservationist has told me today that 55 million pheasants are farmed and released into the wild in Britain each year for sports shooters, sadly many end up as roadkill.....or killing motorcyclists.

Being only 5’6” I’m not interested in the largest Touring model by zTechnik and tend towards the smallest sports screen but would welcome any experience of similarly short riders regarding the middle size sports touring screen. My quandary is protection v handling and noise for riders of similar build.

I would also be interested to know if any other makes of polycarbonate safety screens if there are others out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I’m 5’9” and the medium VStream for the R1250R is a bit low but fine for speeds up to 50. I have the tall screen which is the right height (allows me to see over the screen to a point on the road 50’ in front of the bike) but I only use it for the highway. I would not recommend the short VStream. It won’t block the wind.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dougl. Just to clarify ...is the handling affected? When you say “it’s ok up to 50” is it wind noise above that or poor handling?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Thanks Dougl. Just to clarify ...is the handling affected? When you say “it’s ok up to 50” is it wind noise above that or poor handling?

The handling isn’t affected by either of my shields although I don’t go faster than 80 mph. It’s the wind noise, which isn’t an issue with my middle screen at <50 mph around town. I get noise from my arms and shoulders. Pulling them in helps but scrunching in behind the shield is uncomfortable. My leather jacket is tighter and may not flap around as much as the textile one. For you, I would get the middle screen (note that the dimensions are different between the pre-2019 1200 and the new 1250.) Having bought the medium screen at full price, National Cycle sold me the tall (shield only) for $154.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have the 3(short, medium and tall shields), I prefer the tall shield and at same height as You I can see above and past the 50’ ahead, I really like it and still mounted on.
The only dilemma is that no matter which shield, they all interfere with right rear instrument cluster corner(looking at it from seat),got replacement brackets from National Cycle and problem still persists.
I installed plastic washer behind shield to push it forward.
The problem is that the instrument cluster has some vertical play and with the vibrations of the front suspensions it rests in the down position, the cluster will tilt down no matter how tight You have those 2 bolts.
If You decide on purchasing, I have the medium and small shields for sell, No Brackets.

·
Registered
684 Posts
After a near terminal high-speed encounter with a flock of pheasants this morning,
I'm also about 5'6", and I have to admit I read that as "focking peasants" ...

I've split through a flock of wild turkeys, but they are pretty adept at avoiding contact, unlike peasants.

And I purchased like 3 or 4 screens in the first 6 months of R12 ownershit, and found the wingie thing that you have was OK, but still not that good.
I ended up putting the stock sport screen back on and it's actually tolerable if I stay under 85 mph. I have an Arai helmet that really grabs the wind, a Shoei that's even worse, a Schuberth C3 that's not too bad, a modular, as well. I almost think that the helmet you wear is as much a factor as anything.
There are a bunch of us around here who have NO screen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Moro-Rama, yes for the summer months I’ll use the BMW fly screen when not on long journeys.

I want a bigger screen for three reasons: to help my arthritis on long journeys by easing the wind pressure; to keep some of the worst of the British winter weather off me and to give me a little more protection from the “suicide chickens”. The RSPB (UK bird conservation charity) have said that recently 50m pheasants have been released and with Covid, the usual cull isn’t happening, so loads more are becoming roadkill.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,
I have the tall one mounted for 2 seasons and overall I'm satisfied. With open modular helmet It does very good job up to 100 km/h (60 mph), while with closed 140 km/h are ok (I'm 172 cm tall - between 5'6"-5'7"). Haven't noticed any buffeting.
It looks massive from the front, almost like a barn door :) and the curve that engulf the headlight actually prevents the air flow to reach the temperature sensor so it reads between 5 to 7 degrees Celsius higher :D

Overall the best choice for wind protection from all 4 screens I've used (BMW sport and touring, Puig touring tall and ZTechnic Vstream)

Cheers,
Momchil

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the medium ‘sports touring’ version. It’s 5cm taller than the screen I had on before, so time will tell what difference that makes for better or worse!

It’s not a cheap hobby this is it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks all. I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the medium ‘sports touring’ version. It’s 5cm taller than the screen I had on before, so time will tell what difference that makes for better or worse!

It’s not a cheap hobby this is it!

Bring More Wallet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts