BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
First off l love my new 2011 Classic. (I have 40 years of Boxer experience)
Installed the Ztech Z2444 over the weekend and did my first test ride last night. (Chose it because it was similar in size to my R1150R Tourig Windscreen)
I did a 100km ride on the highway at speeds up to 90 mph. Into the wind and with the wind.
This barn door size screen really removes all significant wind pressure. Really nice.
BUT..... and here is the but.........
The noise level and micro-buffeting was - for me - unbearable. I could not wait to get off of the machine.
I ended up with a headache that has carried through until today.
Has anyone tried this screen back-to-back with the Z2442 ? I am wondering if there would be any relief from the noise.
Bottom line...it HAS to go !

Premium Member
Rsag, not sure how tall the z2444 is but I had a similar problem with my newly fitted Ztechnic screen. I fitted an MRA spoiler to it and it greatly reduced the noise level.

It may not work for you but here it is...

Premium Member
I have a similar impression of My Ztek. Used one of the Wunderlich spoilers, which is somewhat better. My impression is that it would probably take a higher screen to get rid of the noise and buffeting. . .or a quieter helmet.

Registered
I have the 2442 and it is the best, read quietest and smoothest wind protection I have ever had. At 60 mph with still air around I barely hear a thing and then if I tilt my head 10 degrees forward, silence. At 70 and plus there is wind noise, moreso with cross winds but NO buffetting. A 3-day 900 mile ride netted a windscreen full of bugs and only two on my helmet screen, yet I always enjoyed fresh air. This is miraculous to me after four years on previous bike constantly changing and tweaking to make it better, quieter and never able to accomplish what has been a day one success with R1200R.

Previous by efforts that helped the most in order most to least effective:

Change the angle of screen (which the spoilers could do)
Swapped the mirrors for Aprillia Tuono mirrors, 'bout $40
Schuberth C3 helmet

There were other efforts that might have helped............and it is so individual. Height (I am 5'6") and gerth impact as well.

I assume you wear ear protection, if not, that is a first thing to do: tinnitus and hearing loss suck and don't seem to be reversible no matter what I do.

That said, what works for one has only a chance for another, so experiment. I bet Ztech will swap screens out for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your responses Guys,
The photo shows my machine with the Z2444 screen installed.
The Z2444 screen is 22.5" tall. The Z2442 is 18".
I am 5'11", sit quite tall and use earplugs religiously.
I am hoping tht the dealership will be forthcoming enuff to do an exchange for the shorter screen.
If not I will cut this one shorter on a progressive basis and hopefully hit a point where the noise is at an acceptable level.
Once I hit the Z2442's screen height I may then investigate the MRA spoiler.
Wish me luck.
Rsag.

Attachments

Registered
That sounds like a plan. You might try when riding at speed to take left hand up and feel where air is pushing relative to top of your helmet. I feel it passing smoothly just above the top of my helmet face shield. Let us know your resolution

Registered
I currently have the tall z technik,I had tried the medium one and it did not work for me I am 5 10 an ride 2012 R1200R am wondering if the shortest dark timted one will work better, Next step might also be a wunderlich trophy fairing

Premium Member
gracehall1980, it's the larger 15x6. The Ztechnik is quite wide at the top and the larger spoiler fits well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dave,
Finally saw your photo of the MRA Spoler. Looks fantastic. (cannot see pictures here at work).

Once I start cuttin' my Z2444 I will defientley look into
one of these.
BTW ALL - I rode screenless over the weekend. Nice refreshing change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts