BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have lots of tools, so no issues there. Ha ha. I can figure out how to do it; it's just a matter of having enough space. But I don't have fat hands (XL length, but M width), so hopefully enough space, just to minimize the time spent changing bulbs. Will change both, even though the high beam is likely to never be used... but it'll serve as a replacement bulb, if the low beam happens to crap out on a trip. About how many miles are they supposed to last? Do you know? Since the low beam is on all the time, the mileage should be a good approximation, although a person sitting in traffic a lot might have less. I only use my bike for trips, so idle time is only limited when I hit a red light.

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
I have lots of tools, so no issues there. Ha ha. I can figure out how to do it; it's just a matter of having enough space. But I don't have fat hands (XL length, but M width), so hopefully enough space, just to minimize the time spent changing bulbs. Will change both, even though the high beam is likely to never be used... but it'll serve as a replacement bulb, if the low beam happens to crap out on a trip. About how many miles are they supposed to last? Do you know? Since the low beam is on all the time, the mileage should be a good approximation, although a person sitting in traffic a lot might have less. I only use my bike for trips, so idle time is only limited when I hit a red light.
Not sure of the lifespan, but people say it is shorter than the regular H7 long life (low beam). Unless you do touring, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You could probably keep one of the bulbs under the seat, just in case.
I’m sure you know, but just in case: don’t touch bulbs with your bare fingers, any kind of grease, etc. contamination makes bulbs burn out faster

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, makes sense the lifespan is reduced, since the coating makes it run hotter. But was curious how much. I'll follow your recommendation to have one of the 2 stock bulbs below the seat (there's space there). That way I could swap the Diamond high beam to the low, and put a stock bulb for the high beam. I don't put that many miles on my bikes per year (about 5K), so it should last me at least 2 years. Thank you.

I should get the bulbs tomorrow. Will report how the attempt to replace them with the 'swing' method goes :).

·
Registered
213 Posts
You need a really short torx driver to temove the left bolt, and swing the light out.
I changed the bulbs yesterday, and guess what? The light does not swing out; IT PULLS RIGHT OUT!!! That's right, folks. There's no hinge or anything like that. You just need to disconnect ONE connector, and that's it. I needed a plastic trim tool to pull the connector out, but took me less than a minute. And no need to realign the headlight... although I'll probably do it at some point anyway. And yes, no other way to remove that pesky bolt inside, other than with the supplied Torx tool under the seat. I marked both bolts, to avoid having to search for the factory TQ specs. That damn baboon a$$ headlight is HEAVY.

Oh, and I also changed at the same time the ugly turn signals, and they fit and look OEM, after marking the brand, and everything else that wasn't black, black. And yes, they're definitely noticeably brighter than stock, which was the main reason to replace them. And they look right at home on the sporty HP, IMO. Oh, and the blue bulbs match the blue on the
bike, so that doesn't bother me. Ha ha. Hope this helps others who might be considering both mods :).

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,730 Posts
The light does not swing out; IT PULLS RIGHT OUT!!! That's right, folks. There's no hinge or anything like that.
The headlight assembly on the 1250 is the same part number as the 1200LC with LED DRL option. All headlight bulbs on Roadsters are H7 quartz halogen - no LED option.

If you remove the RH mounting bolt and loosen the vertical hinge bolt after removing the surround, the headlight will swing out to the left, leaving vertical adjustment unchanged. No tools are required to remove/replace the bulb itself - held in place by a spring mount that you rotate to remove/replace.

Surprisingly, the process is fully described in the manual …

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just mentioned that the headlight PULLS RIGHT OUT after removing the vertical 'hinge' bolt... but there's no 'hinge' anywhere. I already did it :). Just disconnected it, and changed the bulbs on my bench. Factory alignment is preserved, since the right (when in front of the headlight) horizontal bolt is still there. And where did you get that I said the headlights were LEDs? The manual says that (doesn't even mention H7 bulbs), but nobody is going to confuse a freaking halogen bulb for LED. Ha ha. And certainly not me :).

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,730 Posts
I just mentioned that the headlight PULLS RIGHT OUT after removing the vertical 'hinge' bolt... but there's no 'hinge' anywhere. I already did it :). Just disconnected it, and changed the bulbs on my bench. Factory alignment is preserved, since the right (when in front of the headlight) horizontal bolt is still there. And where did you get that I said the headlights were LEDs? The manual says that (doesn't even mention H7 bulbs), but nobody is going to confuse a freaking halogen bulb for LED. Ha ha. And certainly not me :).
My reference to LED headlight was simply to correct any misconceptions arising from earlier discussion.

The vertical bolt you removed is the hinge. See Post #22 (or your manual

Bulb spec is stated in the technical data part of the manual. I’d recommend reading the manual.

Reactions: toddhollander

·
Registered
213 Posts
Again with the freaking manual? Geez. For the third time, I already did this, and I'm telling you, the headlight pulls right out when you remove that bolt. Why the heck would you try removing the bulbs, and risk losing the screws, bending something, touching the bulbs, etc, by swiveling the light, when you can just disconnect it, and remove it, without having to realign/readjust anything? Besides, as reported by many, it's almost impossible to do anyway. I'm just trying to help those who want to change their bulbs. And in case you haven't noticed, the manual is wrong on many other things too, including that our bikes have full LED headlights (there's not even a mention of H7 bulbs), that the HP has a Lithium-Ion battery (it doesn't), and lots of incoherent instructions due to a bad translation.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts